Tire regrooving

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
I've been regrooving tires for years but I'm surprised at how many people have never heard of it.

With today's tire cost and what seem like quarterly price increases, why would anyone NOT drive every available mile out of their tires?

The following pics are before regrooving, after regrooving and about 50,000 miles after regrooving

View attachment 7421View attachment 7422View attachment 7423

I've been regrooving tires for years but I'm surprised at how many people have never heard of it.

With today's tire cost and what seem like quarterly price increases, why would anyone NOT drive every available mile out of their tires?

The following pics are before regrooving, after regrooving and about 50,000 miles after regrooving

What is the cost? Who does this? How long does the process take?

Most dont know that you can do that or dont wanna spend the money on a grooving iron if they do know. After years of prepping and grooving race car tires I'd hate to think about the time it would take to do 8 drive tires.

OK. This one is new for me. I always thought when they printed re groovable on the side of a tire I thought it meant it could be re capped. I obviously missed something. They are apparently two different things.

What is the cost? Who does this? How long does the process take?

Actually...
I've been doing it for years and recently started doing it as a sideline. :whistle:

But I'm in the Kansas City area and I drive 4 days a week. :worried3:

I ran an ad on Craigslist for $45 with discounts depending on the number of tires.
When I was researching to set a competitive price, the only shop I could find that does it is Nebraska tire.
They advertise $50 and up and I think the tires have to be dismounted.
It takes me an hour per tire on average.

I'm sure there are smaller shops all over that do it although like I said, I'm surprised at how many people never heard of it.

It ain't rocket science.
Most anyone who is interested could be doing it pretty well after a couple of practice runs on a junk casing.

regroover.com :tiphat:

OK. This one is new for me. I always thought when they printed re groovable on the side of a tire I thought it meant it could be re capped. I obviously missed something. They are apparently two different things.

Nope. Its just what it means, regrooving.

You need a grooving iron that gets really hot..
like this one
View attachment 19763
Choose the blade style you need.
View attachment 19764
And start cutting. Trick is dont cut to deep or you'll hear ssssccSScccssssSSssscccc
THen you'll need this.
View attachment 19765
View attachment 19763View attachment 19764View attachment 19765

Nope. Its just what it means, regrooving.

You need a grooving iron that gets really hot..
like this one
View attachment 19766
Choose the blade style you need.
View attachment 19767
And start cutting. Trick is dont cut to deep or you'll hear ssssccSScccssssSSssscccc
THen you'll need this.
View attachment 19768
Well i learned something new today! I woke up this morning and said I aint learning nothing new today. But, here I am.
View attachment 19766View attachment 19767View attachment 19768

OK...
I got a pop-up directing me to read a thread regarding forum rules.
But nothing jumped out at me.
Is there a problem with this thread????

Actually...
I've been doing it for years and recently started doing it as a sideline. :whistle:

But I'm in the Kansas City area and I drive 4 days a week. :worried3:

I ran an ad on Craigslist for $45 with discounts depending on the number of tires.
When I was researching to set a competitive price, the only shop I could find that does it is Nebraska tire.
They advertise $50 and up and I think the tires have to be dismounted.
It takes me an hour per tire on average.

I'm sure there are smaller shops all over that do it although like I said, I'm surprised at how many people never heard of it.

It ain't rocket science.
Most anyone who is interested could be doing it pretty well after a couple of practice runs on a junk casing.

regroover.com :tiphat:

How do you know if the tire is a candidate for regrooving except for the stamp that says..."Regroovable" how do you know if it hasn't already been done?

OK...
I got a pop-up directing me to read a thread regarding forum rules.
But nothing jumped out at me.
Is there a problem with this thread????
I got that too. I think it was sent out to all members because of other threads. Nothing offensive here.

Do you make house calls?

I do on-site around here if there's enough work to justify the trip.
Shore power is good but generator if necessary.
I've had the boys doing some too but nothing since before Christmas with the weather and whatnot.
I don't have any place indoors to do it.

The can haulers love me. :nod:

I do on-site around here if there's enough work to justify the trip.
Shore power is good but generator if necessary.
I've had the boys doing some too but nothing since before Christmas with the weather and whatnot.
I don't have any place indoors to do it.

The can haulers love me. :nod:

I pull a stepdeck, do I have to hate you?

How do you know if the tire is a candidate for regrooving except for the stamp that says..."Regroovable" how do you know if it hasn't already been done?

If the tire hasn't been worn completely through the original tread you should be able to get another 50K + out of it.
The third pic in the OP has about that now and it's good for a lot more.
I've done enough to know pretty well how deep to gauge the new cut but you can take a scratch awl or something with a fairly blunt tip and stick it through the lowest tread depth on the tire. When it bottoms out you're against the steel cord so you'd set the depth for less. How much less depends on whether you'll be recapping the casing later.

Federal regs...

§ 393.75Tires.

(a) No motor vehicle shall be operated on any tire that—(1) Has body ply or belt material exposed through the tread or sidewall, (2) Has any tread or sidewall separation, (3) Is flat or has an audible leak, or (4) Has a cut to the extent that the ply or belt material is exposed.

(b) Any tire on the front wheels of a bus, truck, or truck tractor shall have a tread groove pattern depth of at least 4/32 of an inch when measured at any point on a major tread groove. The measurements shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, tires shall have a tread groove pattern depth of at least 2/32 of an inch when measured in a major tread groove. The measurement shall not be made where tie bars, humps or fillets are located.

(d) No bus shall be operated with regrooved, recapped or retreaded tires on the front wheels.(e) A regrooved tire with a load-carrying capacity equal to or greater than 2,232 kg (4,920 pounds) shall not be used on the front wheels of any truck or truck tractor.

I pull a stepdeck, do I have to hate you?

No.
It's optional.
SOME of the can haulers I've done tires for are notorious for wringing the last mile (and then some) out of everything.
One of the first guys I did tires for, I had to draw a chalk pattern on the tire because there wasn't any tread left. :eek2:

When I got paid I offered him a card and he told me he didn't need it because he already had me on speed dial. :hooked:

No, everybody got that today. No problems here

Ah,
Because I was thinking...
Of all the drivelous B/S I've posted here that shoulda gotten my arse chewded...
WTF??

The only thing I saw was a bit about posting affiliate links but regroover.com used to be my sig and nobody mentioned it then so...
:confused:

It sounds like a good sideline. How long does it take to do each tire? How much does a regrooving iron cost? I've looked a few up, getting anywhere from $100.00 to $500.00. Do you regroove the tire on the truck? I guess you would need a jack and jack up one end of the axle at a time, regroove two tires at a time and move on to the next axle. $360 plus per tractor wouldn't be bad depending on how long it takes. If you have a generator, you could set up at a truck stop over the weekend and make a few bucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread