Time to pay attention to U.S. spring thaw regs

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
At least seven U.S. states and 11 provinces/territories in Canada have spring and frost laws for roads. The seasonal restrictions limit traffic weight and speed on roads that have sub-bases affected by the spring warming. It’s time for truckers hauling in northern states to pay attention to the signs or risk a fine.

Michigan has four spring weight restrictions. All information on routes and dates are posted on the Michigan transportation website. Three of the restrictions in certain areas are already imposed. On March 8 another bulletin will be issued to lift weight restrictions from the southern Michigan border north to and including U.S. 12 at the Michigan/Indiana border east to Interstate 94 in Berrien County, then north and east to I-69 in Calhoun County, then north on I-69 to Lansing and continuing on I-69 east to Port Huron, St. Clair County. Frost restrictions are still in effect for the remainder of the state and will be imposed and enforced on all state trunkline highways north of the U.S. 12, I-94, I-69 line.

full story

Idaho had their breakup limits in effect in early February. I think most of them are down now.

I didn't know they had the thaw law in the U.S. too. I used to do some flatbed 4 axle loads around Ontario and it seemed like you could not get to where you wanted to go. I did it in the dead of winter of course.

One place that I worked t was right along the thaw restricted road, So if you were heavy you had to go the long way around and if you were light you could take the shorter usual route.
I was just waiting to get busted with an empty trailer and having to explain that my truck was not heavy, It was just big.
And then later going to court with my ticket to explain it all. Never happened.:laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread