This Must Be My Year For "Lifetime" Firsts

freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods
Four months ago I broke my leg, ankle, and rib. Never had a broken bone before.

Three weeks ago, I got struck by lightning. I had just finished tying down a load of pipe and had the winch bar in my left hand. There was a really bad storm moving in but by the time I was loaded, the lightning had died down quite a bit. I was soaking wet and standing in mud. I didn't hear anything, but I saw the electric arc go out from the bar and it slammed my left arm pretty hard. No ill effects. I was driving down the highway 5 minutes later.

I had the first red flag at this job on the first week I was there. As time went on, I saw more red flags. On Monday, he told me he didn't need me anymore. That's the first time I've ever been fired from anywhere since I started working 45 years ago. A few people had tried to warn me about working for him before I started, but I didn't listen. I was talking to a friend that I've known for decades yesterday. He put me in contact with with a guy that has been having trouble finding "good" drivers. I'm not sure exactly what my friend told him, but he definitely wants to talk to me when he gets home.

Four months ago I broke my leg, ankle, and rib. Never had a broken bone before.

Three weeks ago, I got struck by lightning. I had just finished tying down a load of pipe and had the winch bar in my left hand. There was a really bad storm moving in but by the time I was loaded, the lightning had died down quite a bit. I was soaking wet and standing in mud. I didn't hear anything, but I saw the electric arc go out from the bar and it slammed my left arm pretty hard. No ill effects. I was driving down the highway 5 minutes later.

I had the first red flag at this job on the first week I was there. As time went on, I saw more red flags. On Monday, he told me he didn't need me anymore. That's the first time I've ever been fired from anywhere since I started working 45 years ago. A few people had tried to warn me about working for him before I started, but I didn't listen. I was talking to a friend that I've known for decades yesterday. He put me in contact with with a guy that has been having trouble finding "good" drivers. I'm not sure exactly what my friend told him, but he definitely wants to talk to me when he gets home.
Whats a “red flag”? Like a write up or something?

Whats a “red flag”? Like a write up or something?
He called me into the office at the end of the first week and said some of the guys that work around the yard told him I was mad at them because "I didn't talk to them". That's Amish reasoning for you.

I'll talk to anyone if I have something to say. Otherwise leave me alone. Thats never been a problem anywhere else I've worked, but they really don't like that attitude. I thought I my job was truck driver, not babysitter for people that get their feelings hurt.

Too many think you’re automatically buddies and life long friends with co-workers…

Uh, no.

I get your position. Not everyone is into small talk doing their jobs.

I get that at the loading rack because I stay to myself.
"What are you pissed about?"
'Nothing, why?'
"You haven't said anything to anyone."
'I didn't know I was supposed to. I'm here to load and get out, not have a bull session.'

Just leave me alone and pay attention to your job. That's why they have all sorts of silly rules, because people aren't paying attention to what they are doing and screw things up.

Looking back, even though he didn't say anything at the time, he probably didn't like it when I said "I don't get mad very easy, but if i am, you'll know it"

Too many think you’re automatically buddies and life long friends with co-workers…

Uh, no.

I get your position. Not everyone is into small talk doing their jobs.
Im not either. When I got 18 deliveries on the wagon with probably 5 pickups to do afterwards I dont have time for it

Ya there’s some of the snowflakes of the world who call that “standoffish” but far as Im concerned their offense is their problem

I guess I really got on everones bad side when I tried to get the yard guys to tie the loads down so it was DOT legal. They wanted to do it the way they always have (not DOT legal) and the boss sided with them. On several loads, I would leave the yard, get out of their sight, and then tie it down right.

I guess I really got on everones bad side when I tried to get the yard guys to tie the loads down so it was DOT legal. They wanted to do it the way they always have (not DOT legal) and the boss sided with them. On several loads, I would leave the yard, get out of their sight, and then tie it down right.
You really showed them! 👍

Good on ya for doing the right thing though.

I would have done it right in front of them in the middle of the driveway to **** them off further. Then I would tell them that this is the proper way to do it.

I would have done it right in front of them in the middle of the driveway to **** them off further. Then I would tell them that this is the proper way to do it.
I felt like that, but I was trying to get along as best as I could. Even though there was a lot of aggravation at the yard, almost all the runs were midwest and west, and the pay was really good.

The job I was looking into didn't sound so good after I talked to that guy. I ended up deciding to try working for my neighbor. 35 years ago I unhooked from a dry van and said I'd never pull one again. I guess I lied to myself. He and his drivers say they don't deal with most of the bad points that turned me away from a van. No big cities, no hand unloads, and almost never have long wait times. We'll see. :shift:

The job I was looking into didn't sound so good after I talked to that guy. I ended up deciding to try working for my neighbor. 35 years ago I unhooked from a dry van and said I'd never pull one again. I guess I lied to myself. He and his drivers say they don't deal with most of the bad points that turned me away from a van. No big cities, no hand unloads, and almost never have long wait times. We'll see. :shift:
Watch your first load be an exception and a big city with a hand unload that takes all day. 😃

I finished up my year of "firsts" by ending up in the hospital with pneumonia in December. Ended up being off work for 5 weeks. On a good note though, my new job is a good place to work, and pays really good too. I get paid 24% of this - Go to example.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread