Things to pack for OTR

jerryb

Hi all,

This might sound like to trivial question. I have a number of years experience driving trucks but I `m due to start up to 10 days out at a time OTR. What would you all advise that I take/pack so I don`t have to start spending hard earned money on the road.

Any lists of things you take would be goog. Also what can`t you do without.
Thanks

Jerryb

we take cell, laptop, crockpot, food, cooler/fridege for drinks and meat to cook, cards for playing poker or what not and a PS2 incase we get board with a portable DVD player. Of course we have clothing to make it back home or to a terminal to wash so we don't have to worry about tricks played in trucking laundry mats. I have heard of the purple and pink clothing stories.

I take books, cds, and food items. I do try to avoid spending money in truck stops wherever possible. If I'm out on the road and need something, I try to get to a Wal-Mart.

Make sure you take all your meds plus extra in case you cannot make it back when you are supposed to be back. Plus xtra copies of all your numbers in case you lose your phone!

hygene

don't forget every body showers where you do most truck stops do an excellent job cleaning but don't forget shower shoes. if you already drive local you carry gloves and the sort like i did

Many truckstops now provide towels and facecloths for showers, but make sure you bring along your toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and shampoo. All these come in trial sizes so they don't need to take up a lot of space.

don't forget every body showers where you do most truck stops do an excellent job cleaning but don't forget shower shoes. if you already drive local you carry gloves and the sort like i did

WHAT?? HUH??

Is your house, apartment, dwelling so pathetic and disgusting that truck slop showers are actually cleaner??At which truck slops do YOU shower or DID shower??
I suppose you never noticed the Funk (mold, mildew, stench) in the showers, on the walls, on the floors especially at t. a., followed closely by flying j and petro, while loves and peelot are nasty.
Are you blind or Sight Challenged and do your other senses not function properly??
Did you not notice things like:
>> Shower Heads loose or just falling off the wall hookups?
>> Shower Heads that emit a fine spray as if to say the truck slop is trying to conserve water?
>> Shower doors that fail to close properly when at all?
>> Shower Curtains that should have been replaced long ago?
>> Ventilation systems especially at t. a. that are inefficient if operable at all? Opening the door allows for air flow.
>> Sinks that deliver water out of the sink because of incompetent design(s)?

So in essence you were either a slob or you were blind and well deprived of your sense of smell.

I think my greatest single expense will be food, so in an effort to cut back on that cost, I plan on taking a bunch of pre-cooked and frozen meals in individual serving packages.

Placed in a cab fridge, these items should last a week or so. Figure three days to thaw and then good for another four.

You can microwave the frozen or semi-frozen items as well as ones that have thawed.

Some suggestions for meals that freeze well: Spagetti and other pasta dishes, stews, meat soups, chili, almost any casserole, etc.

Some other food items that can last far longer than a week are: Boiled eggs, breakfast bars, processed cheeses, some fruits such as apples.

I'm able to buy super or ultra pastuerized milk now that will last more than two weeks, so combine that with your favorite cereal and you've got breakfast.

Jerky and those dried fruit and nut mixes last a long time.

Buy your soda or fruit or water drinks at Walmart before leaving and add to fridge when space is available.

A small ice chest with a piece of dry ice in it will keep frozen items frozen for several days, extending the usable time for pre-frozen home-cooked meals.

Lot's of options and variety. For me personally, a good meal will probably be the highlight of my day.

If I'm on the road when I have necessary days off due to DOT driving time restrictions, I plan on taking alone one of those one-time use BBQ's and cooking a steak.

Just some ideas.

Pat

I think my greatest single expense will be food, so in an effort to cut back on that cost, I plan on taking a bunch of pre-cooked and frozen meals in individual serving packages.

Placed in a cab fridge, these items should last a week or so. Figure three days to thaw and then good for another four.

You can microwave the frozen or semi-frozen items as well as ones that have thawed.

Some suggestions for meals that freeze well: Spagetti and other pasta dishes, stews, meat soups, chili, almost any casserole, etc.

Some other food items that can last far longer than a week are: Boiled eggs, breakfast bars, processed cheeses, some fruits such as apples.

I'm able to buy super or ultra pastuerized milk now that will last more than two weeks, so combine that with your favorite cereal and you've got breakfast.

Jerky and those dried fruit and nut mixes last a long time.

Buy your soda or fruit or water drinks at Walmart before leaving and add to fridge when space is available.

A small ice chest with a piece of dry ice in it will keep frozen items frozen for several days, extending the usable time for pre-frozen home-cooked meals.

Lot's of options and variety. For me personally, a good meal will probably be the highlight of my day.

If I'm on the road when I have necessary days off due to DOT driving time restrictions, I plan on taking alone one of those one-time use BBQ's and cooking a steak.

Just some ideas.

Pat

Steak, I remember that is'nt that a meat like thing?
I use to love when I was on the truck a good bbq. party.
Dont see that much anymore.And alot of the truck stops/rest area's dont allow it anymore.
And drivers pretty much keep to themselves now.
Times have changed.....................................

I figured I could afford some dead cow once-in-awhile, if I could save enough on my other meals.

The demise of the trucker BBQ is indeed a sad thing and I had no idea that some truck stops/rest area's forbide the lighting of a fire.

I had a two-ton truck back in the oil field glory days when I was making $30 an hour as a traveling mechanic/welder.

I built a BBQ out of well casing that attached to a fitting on the truck bed and had many a relaxing evening with new friends chomping on some fire grilled meat.

Pat

I think i'll come over to your side of the pond. you have it so easy over there.
We have to pay £20.00 ($39.00) to park. a very basic meal (rat burger and fries) £8.00 ($15.50).
we can only drive at 56mph. 9 hours per day. i still get about 2500 miles per week.
i don't pack much as our cabs are too small.

I think i'll come over to your side of the pond. you have it so easy over there.
We have to pay £20.00 ($39.00) to park. a very basic meal (rat burger and fries) £8.00 ($15.50).
we can only drive at 56mph. 9 hours per day. i still get about 2500 miles per week.
i don't pack much as our cabs are too small.

Grass is never greener on the other side.
Tell us about trucking on your side of the pond.
break it down. loads/pay/ things like that.
cost of housing/
and nice to meet ya.

you can drive 56 hours per week but not more than 90 over 2 weeks. 9 hours per day this can be extended to 10 hours driving twice a week. thats the basic rules but they get really confusing.
my house is average at £145000.00 about $290000.00
my wage is a little above average at £600.00 about $1180.00 per week.
Fuel has gone up 30% over the past few months it's now about £5.50 / $10.80 per uk gallon or $13.00 per US gallon.
Even in the republic of ireland where i fuel up it's gone up. the euro has gone from 1.45 to the pound to 1.25 to the pound. plus the price of oil it's gone up 50% in 3 months. Thats why i want out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread