Trucking News: There isn't a shortage of truck drivers — they just don't want to drive for mega carriers anymore

There is truth to this. Not just trucking, but nationwide. People went to work for themselves during the pandemic. People moved away from large corporations to smaller businesses.

The same thing happened in trucking. Record numbers of new authorities which covers both motor carriers and brokers. You have also seen the new business of dispatching grow like crazy.

Some of this will last, some won’t.

One thing for sure, all the concerns of the Mets carriers taking over the industry, always has been, and always will be, false.

There is truth to this. Not just trucking, but nationwide. People went to work for themselves during the pandemic. People moved away from large corporations to smaller businesses.

The same thing happened in trucking. Record numbers of new authorities which covers both motor carriers and brokers. You have also seen the new business of dispatching grow like crazy.

Some of this will last, some won’t.

One thing for sure, all the concerns of the Mets carriers taking over the industry, always has been, and always will be, false.
People are working where they are paid well and valued. It's as simple as supply and demand. Crazy how many people in business fail to accept this as a reality.

I wanted to be a self-made crypto billionaire but I got in way too late so I still need a paycheck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top pay seems to be the number 1 claim by drivers to solve retention problems at companies. I disagree; it’s not a surefire thing.

Especially if that company has a lot of shortcomings. The better pay eventually becomes less worth it and they move on anyway. - I think in some cases the money/effort would be better spent straightening up whatever makes the company undesirable.

In my opinion pay shouldn’t be the overruling factor in your employment situation. Your values or the style of truck driver you are, are important to your well-being.

I believe you need to be a match for the segment of trucking you’re in and the scope of distance you travel, as well as work for a company that aligns closest to your values so that you’re doing that job because you enjoy it, not because it’s the best paycheque and nothing else.

Top pay seems to be the number 1 claim by drivers to solve retention problems at companies. I disagree; it’s not a surefire thing.

Especially if that company has a lot of shortcomings. The better pay eventually becomes less worth it and they move on anyway. - I think in some cases the money/effort would be better spent straightening up whatever makes the company undesirable.

In my opinion pay shouldn’t be the overruling factor in your employment situation. Your values or the style of truck driver you are, are important to your well-being.

I believe you need to be a match for the segment of trucking you’re in and the scope of distance you travel, as well as work for a company that aligns closest to your values so that you’re doing that job because you enjoy it, not because it’s the best paycheque and nothing else.
I made top-ish pay at Schneider (81k my first full tax year and not even at max rate) but still eventually hated it.

Paying myself far less now and haven't been so content in a long time.

I'd rather have a non-toxic workplace than a big paycheck.

There are guys making over 100k there still complaining and miserable because they won't leave the money.

There are guys who left for lower paying company jobs and they're happy.

I made top-ish pay at Schneider (81k my first full tax year and not even at max rate) but still eventually hated it.

There are guys making over 100k there still complaining and miserable because they won't leave the money.

I hear ya man. I took a 30k pay cut by giving up OTR and staying local.
I Have a far better quality of life even with less money.

Exactly. I see you understand my point.

Nope never was a slumlord only had higher end rentals. And once a property reached a certain age I off loaded it!!! I didn't want no money pits as people will sue you for the dumbest shit!!! I always kept my property up!!! Why would I It ment more $$$$
Obviously to keep your property taxes down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread