The Truckers Forum Is Looking For A New Members Welcome Team - Care to help?

Mike

What will members of a "welcome team" do?

For the most part, it is pretty simple.

Our forum gets several new registrations every day. One of the frustrating things to deal with as a forum owner is seeing that the majority of people who do actually register will never post.

What's more frustrating? When a new member actually does create a new post, only to see that post go several hours without replies, or with replies that can be very degrading to someone who has a serious question.

Sometimes we forget that some of the new members showing up have absolutely zero knowledge of the trucking industry. Absolutely no clue what to expect from becoming a truck driver. They posted a question because they would like to learn. Instead, they are far to often hit with posts that insinuate that they are stupid. Usually, they are not, but they are simply trying to learn.

What happens when that one new member out of 50 registrations actually makes a post? Typically, somebody will run them off to another forum by making them feel stupid.

Having a solid team of members who will make a point of greeting new members, answering any questions they can while the new member gets comfortable with the forum, and generally making them feel welcome and pointing them in the right direction can only help in the quest to build the community. Help them, they may in turn be helping someone else later on down the road.

It's easy to make jokes toward someone who has never driven and showing up with a question about a lease purchase. Welcoming the member and educating them in a positive way shows that our forum is better than the others.

If you would like to step up and help us in this area, send me a message. Not sure what perks will be available for this new group, but we will do what we can to make sure you are noticed for being helpful to the community.

Everyone always thought "Thank you for being literate" was all douche-like.

But really, if not for a person being literate they wouldn't be here.

So, pragmatism.

Got sidetracked on this last year.

That said, I am looking for a small group to help out here.

Basically, the stuff I said in the original thread, and something else....

When a member registers, a detailed conversation is sent to them. It's something I plan on adding some more information to. What I would like is a couple dedicated folks, forum savvy folks, who can respond to these with me. Often, a new member will respond to the message and I simply don't have time to answer questions at the time, or don't have the answer. If we had a couple more people added to this, they could direct the new member to he appropriate forum for asking their questions, possibly help them as well if they are struggling to figure out how to do so.

Whoever does this, it is important to understand that those messages will be coming from people who are clueless about our forum, possibly clueless to forums in general, and possibly even very intimidated by the internet in general.

Message me if interested, this is for both non moderators and moderators alike.

I nominate @r3gulator3

He’s the coolest out of all you chumps and seems pretty tech savvy. He also seems like the only one of you that isn’t actively a troll

I won’t make fun of where he works, mention black Pete koolaid, or bring up 3 truck washes a day. That would be childish

:thefinger:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread