• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

The Swifty McRACEFAN Chronicles

Hell Fontana is next week. Just saying. Take her to Darlington for Mothers day. Couple truck stops real close and it is a toss up between Martinsville and Darlington for :crash:

:argue:

Yep, I'm still above ground.

Unfortunately, my presence here will probably be minimal for a while.

I have some other things I need to focus on for now, but I am not going away for good.

I see that @Injun has taken over my mod position, I am happy to pass her the torch.
(I feel sorry for some of you now though. LOL/JK)
I am sure that she will do a better job at it than I was doing, as I could not devote enough time here lately.

Anyhow,...... see y'all in the funny papers.

Well, not that I didn't already have enough that I have been dealing with, I have been sitting for two weeks now due to the truck being in the shop.:panic:

DPF issues....again.:foreheadslap::rant:

It seems that there is a contaminant in the DEF fluid that caused the troubles this time.
Still not determined what the contaminant is, or where it came from.:confused-96:
They said there was a 'sludge' in the lines and in the fluid filter. Very slight contamination in the tank, but the majority was in the lines and filter.
At this point, they are replacing the filter and cleaning/flushing out the entire DEF system and inspecting to see if it can be determined what the contaminant is and how it got into the system.

I usually fill the DEF when I fuel at the truck stops, but I have on occasion filled the DEF at Swift terminals.
I have NEVER added any DEF fluid from any other source other than straight from the pumps.
I have NEVER put in any additives either.

Anyone had any first hand experience with a similar issue? Bad DEF fluid?

It might be ready to roll tomorrow, we'll see.

I'll be needing some awesome runs to help recoup the loss of income.:shift:
At least my truck lease payment has been put on hold, so I don't go completely under.

Pray for me.:frown:

No but that 587 I had went batpoop crazy saying there was a problem.

Everytime I would get to 1/2 a tank of DEF. They ended up replacing the entire system. But the damage had been done by then.

Well, not that I didn't already have enough that I have been dealing with, I have been sitting for two weeks now due to the truck being in the shop.:panic:

DPF issues....again.:foreheadslap::rant:

It seems that there is a contaminant in the DEF fluid that caused the troubles this time.
Still not determined what the contaminant is, or where it came from.:confused-96:
They said there was a 'sludge' in the lines and in the fluid filter. Very slight contamination in the tank, but the majority was in the lines and filter.
At this point, they are replacing the filter and cleaning/flushing out the entire DEF system and inspecting to see if it can be determined what the contaminant is and how it got into the system.

I usually fill the DEF when I fuel at the truck stops, but I have on occasion filled the DEF at Swift terminals.
I have NEVER added any DEF fluid from any other source other than straight from the pumps.
I have NEVER put in any additives either.

Anyone had any first hand experience with a similar issue? Bad DEF fluid?

It might be ready to roll tomorrow, we'll see.

I'll be needing some awesome runs to help recoup the loss of income.:shift:
At least my truck lease payment has been put on hold, so I don't go completely under.

Pray for me.:frown:
That's why I don't know what to do with the 3 jugs of DEF I ended up with at home. I took it out of a company truck to make room for a bunch of oil, pre-mix coolant & anti-gel I bought at Farm & Fleet with my company fuel card, then forgot to put it back in the truck the last time I was home before turning in that truck. I called the boss & asked him to tell me next time one of the company trucks was in Monee or University Park cuz I'd run it up there to him, but he said not to worry about it & just use it in the next DEF truck I happened to pick up. It's been over a year now, and I think that stuff goes bad so now I really don't know what to do with it. I'm certainly not going to put it in a truck & risk it having a problem like yours.

Maybe I can use it as weed killer? :confused-96:

I just spoke with the mechanic that is working on my truck, and he said that the contaminant is algae.

How does algae get in or form in the DEF fluid?

I have looked all over the web for answers, with no success.

Shouldn't warranty cover this?

That's why I don't know what to do with the 3 jugs of DEF I ended up with at home. I took it out of a company truck to make room for a bunch of oil, pre-mix coolant & anti-gel I bought at Farm & Fleet with my company fuel card, then forgot to put it back in the truck the last time I was home before turning in that truck. I called the boss & asked him to tell me next time one of the company trucks was in Monee or University Park cuz I'd run it up there to him, but he said not to worry about it & just use it in the next DEF truck I happened to pick up. It's been over a year now, and I think that stuff goes bad so now I really don't know what to do with it. I'm certainly not going to put it in a truck & risk it having a problem like yours.

Maybe I can use it as weed killer? :confused-96:

Don't pour that in your yard. In my recent research about DEF, one of the things that I did see was that it will quickly spread and could contaminate water supplies.

Once introduced all algae needs is earth and moisture.

It could have come from any tank that was contaminated. DEF is what 80% distilled water?

Also did the previous owner "stretch" the def with a garden hose? Probably be Paccar's first or second question when the word warranty gets used.

They got it all put back together and ran a regen.
Now there is a new code showing up for SCR fault.
The service writer said that could be the root cause of the other issues.
If the SCR fault caused the DEF to boil, that could be where the contamination came from.
If that's the case, it should all be covered under warranty.

...keeping my fingers crossed.

Found the SCR catalyst to be faulty.

Currently being replaced, and system retested. Hopefully that fixes it.

Not sure yet on how much is going to be covered under warranty.

I just need to get rolling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread