The Island of Misfit Toys

This is truly a sad day. I'm on my way to Lansing and stopped of at the TA in Teays Valley WV. One of my long time favorite stops out on the road. Across the street is the amazing Fat Patty's. I fell in love with that place a while ago, and now it's permanently closed accordingto Google :(
giphy.gif
Thankfully there's another place here to grab a brew and some great food. It may even be better, but I shudder at the thought of besmirching Patty's name (whoever she is). Oh well, a beer and a stool works for me, and this may be the best reuben I've ever had. Cheers y'all.
20190924_214330.jpg

Last edited:
This is truly a sad day. I'm on my way to Lansing and stopped of at the TA in Teays Valley WV. One of my long time favorite stops out on the road. Across the street is the amazing Fat Patty's. I fell in love with that place a while ago, and now it's permanently closed accordingto Google :(
View attachment 52264
Thankfully there's another place here to grab a brew and some great food. It may even be better, but I shudder at the thought of besmirching Patty's name (whoever's she is). Oh well, a beer and a stool works for me, and this may be the best reuben I've ever had. Cheers y'all.
View attachment 52265
Are you ****ing serious right now? I was hoping to make it back out to hurricane so I could stop and add it to my review thread. Son of a bitch!

What’s the new place you found?

Are you ****ing serious right now? I was hoping to make it back out to hurricane so I could stop and add it to my review thread. Son of a *****!

What’s the new place you found?
Fireside Lounge. Same side of the street. Just a left turn at the hotel, instead of a right. It's really good, man. I think I like it better.

The next few days are going to be a very strange combination of: (A being truly smart about this job and showing it when it matters (B playing stupid to the right people at the right time (C handing off cash to the right lumpers at the right time. Based on past experiences with one of these loads I think I can pull this off. I will probably not respect myself at the end, but it is what it is. Who the hell am I kidding... I'll respect myself more 🤣

Reactions: MIT
Well, so far, so good! Bribery worked like an absolute charm this morning, and it didn't set me back much. I was fearing the worst last night when I checked in at my reciever. Was told that I couldn't be taken in any earlier that my appointment time this morning. At about 3am, I let the late night guards know that I hit an ATM before going to bed, and I'd take care of the lumpers for an early unload when they got in. Clearly that had been passed on. Dude had my trailer empty in about 20 minutes. He also hooked me up with the lady at the sign-in desk. He persuaded her to let me leave before they counted and re-palletized the product. I was out of there 30 minutes after my appointment time. Asked him what he thought was a fair price was for his help and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "20 bucks?" SOLD! Hell yes man, money well spent. Now for the next part of my plan, playing dumb at the next shipper. Happy to report that also worked like a charm. Had a 2pm appointment but got here at 9am. The dude in the office was clearly not thrilled, but put me in a dock. Told me that I could be here for up to six hours. I felt the dock plate hit around 9:30, much to my surprise. Went in and asked about it, he told me I'd be done in two hours or less. Sweet! So now I'm already licking my lips thinking about the food at Fireside, as I'm heading back to WV again for the night. Gotta love days like these 😁

Today was one for the books, and I'm friggin whooped. Currently parked at the Home Depot where I just delivered. Manager was cool and let me park, as I am 101% out of time. Told them I'd be gone by 6am, they were cool with that. Actually went into the negative today, my first violation in my 18 month tenure here at Landstar. By ONE FRIGGIN MINUTE! So pissed, almost made it. Got blindsided about 75 miles out by one hellacious storm. Sideways rain accompanied by hail and idiot four wheelers. Lost at least a good 15 minutes from that. Also got temporarily sidelined by a faulty sensor reading, lost another 30 minutes from that. Big ups to the service guy at Hilliard KW that helped me over the phone for a good ten minutes. Had a flawless record here so far until today. Only my second HOS violation since I started driving three and a half years ago. My pride and ego are hurting a bit, good thing there's a Friday's next door. Time to forget this ridiculous day, hope y'all had a good one. Cheers.
20190928_214226.jpg

How messed up is this? I got home yesterday around 9:30am and put my truck on the service list at my TA. Truck needed a PM and a lube, and I'm chasing an air leak. I went home, had to go back at 4:30pm to drop my trailer and put it in a bay. Had to go back at 11pm to take it out. They couldn't find the leak which is understandable because it was quiet and I didn't have time to crawl underneath when I located the general vicinity. They got the rest done and I left home to go pay and hook back up to my trailer. My hood wouldn't close. One of those hydraulic shock things attached to the hood and frame is frozen. Waited for another hour til things got figured out. So now I have to wake up early to go to the closest KW dealership and grab a new pair so my TA can install them. I guess I should be grateful. At least it happened at my shop instead of out on the road during a pre-trip. But christ man, I am sick of babysitting this GD truck the entirety of my home time. Gotta love the life.

Took way too long, but it finally happened. Burfict suspended for the rest of the season. Good. Dirty azz street thug being made to pay for being dirty. Should've happened many seasons ago, but at least it happened. Only took 15 incidents. Way to be on the ball, commissioner.

Irony defined... as the last few days here tick away I've figured out a few tricks that would have served me very well over the last 18 months. Oh well, better days coming. Taking these tricks there. Tick tock, tick tock....

Reactions: MIT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread