Trucking Regulations: The heck is SPIF anyway

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
EB3738A0-8DE4-46FA-87F7-48DA8A9BE626.jpeg
What is this garbage?

SPIF is the self steering lift axles as opposed to the non steering ones you control from the cab.
Apparently guys used to have the switches in the cab and they’d raise and lower axles as they went over the scales to bamboozle the scale master.

Or so I heard at the lunch counter :D

Apparently guys used to have the switches in the cab and they’d raise and lower axles as they went over the scales to bamboozle the scale master.

My last dump truck was like that and any older than 2011 are like that. Lots of them still on the road. It's perfectly legal for now. They intend to reduce the allowable weights for them then phase them out all together.

This job here was my first dealing with any SPIF axles. My truck has one and all our end dumps have them. On trailers it's hit the valve on the trailer when you get loaded and forget about it. Most have a reverseomatic that will pick them up when you back up but best just get out and hit the valve.

The one one on my truck comes down automatically once there is enough weight on the drives and you can only pick it up at slow speeds by (4 ways on 3-4 sec off 3-4 sec and on again), the override switch in the box outside, or it has a reversomatic. I generally do the 4 way method. Mr MTO don't want us controlling them from the seat. So if you seea loaded dump truck inexplicably driving around a parking lot with 4 ways on that's probably why.

My pup is an 08 so switch in the cab to pick up the lift axle going around corners. It'll be grandfathered for a while longer yet. Not exactly sure how long.

Toll booths in Illinois would charge by the axle. Floaters weren't counted unless they were down. So they'd raise them when they go through the toll booth then put them back down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread