The golden 80'


Well-Known Member
The time when drivers ate at restaurants, earned for a new car in few months and WHEN TRUCKERS WERE APPRECIATED !!! Those were gold years for european trucking. Unfortunately, today people don't realize a big and responsible job of trucks for global economy and here in Ex Yugoslav countries truck are a thing that generates cash for state (but through numerous taxes and ridicolous law ) and being a driver here today is a one leg in grave, second in prison. the newer truck it is, that means harder job for a driver. Funny it is since technology tries to make it easier, but here, specialy in Bosnia, it's oposite. With collapse of Yugoslavia we lost most of big and respectfull speditions and with entry of mobile phones everything went down.

Spedicija Bugojno, Yugoslavia


One from thr west :) and still in service. I just love this thing but the cabin is like made for gremlins. Krivaja Zavidovici, Yugoslavia


Gavrilović, Yugoslavia

Autoprevoz, Yugoslavia

Droga Portoroz, Yugoslavia

these are just a few of companies that no longer exists. They all dissapeared with collapse of Yugoslavia and 90' war.


curmudgeon extraordinare
When I was sent to Kosovo, it seemed like a lot of things stopped existing from that civil war.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
It is as you said...... Kosovo is poor region by itself.... War just made it harder
I notice you guys still have mostly Cabover trucks overseas and see very few Conventionals whereas in the States the trucks are primarily Conventionals

Is there a reason why Cabovers are so popular and why no conventionals


Well-Known Member
cabovers are less comfortable due to shorter cabin and air pillows. Nothing special there....


Not a fruit
I've never driven anything BUT cabovers...

Admittedly I only have class 2 and 4L truck licences so far, another month to sit the class 4.


Well-Known Member
how are those licences categorized ? Here we have C1, C, E class licences. From 7.5 tons up to 24 with trailer. Tonnage plays the roll in our licence system


Not a fruit
1 = car, personal conveyance up to 6 ton

2 = light truck, rigid truck up to 18 ton with trailer of 2.5 ton or less, articulated truck up to 12 ton

3 = light articulated, articulated truck up to 25 ton, including truck + trailer.

4 = heavy rigid, over 18 ton with trailer of 2.5 ton or less

5 = heavy articulated, tractor and trailer, truck n trailer, road trains, over 25 ton.

6 = motorcycle

L = learners, must have supervisor riding with you with over 2 years experience in that class of licence.

Class 1 also has R, restricted, between L and the full licence.

Trucks can be up to 20 M long and up to 44 tons without requiring permits. High Performance Motor Vehicle permits, also referred to as 50MAX class, can be up to 50 tons and 23 metres with an annual renewable permit, and can go on major routes but are restricted on minor routes where bridges and roads are not engineered to the standard. As roads and bridges are brought up to standard 50MAX will eventually replace 20M/44T as the base unpermitted vehicle. Over 23M or over 50 ton require a permit per trip.


Well-Known Member
Here for personal car up to 3.5 ton is B category, everything above 3.5 ton is C1 and above and tachograph for 3.5 and above is mandatory. So in your place you can drive a small truck with class 1 ? here we have trucks up to 6 tons of total weight


Not a fruit
Yeah, you can drive a truck big enough to carry a car on a car licence. 2 ton for the car, 3.5 ton for the truck, comes to around 5.5 ton, under the 6000Kg limit. Or horse trucks, people going to shows or chases, that often comes to less than the 6 ton limit for a couple of horses in a basic small truck.

We have logbooks, paper books with detachable pages, for Class 2 and up. Class 3, 4, and 5 a logbook is mandatory when on the roads, but Class 2 has a number of exemptions for the likes of furniture and metro delivery trucks which only operate in an air miles radius of 100Km from their home depot. If they're local only, no need for logbooks, but if they go outside the 100Km radius, they need to use a logbook and it has to be current for the last 7 days.
Linehaul with class 2 is uncommon, it's just more efficient to combine the loads and ship it all on a class 5 truck n trailer or B train. What the Yanks on here would call a Rocky Mountain Doubles set I think. But for specialty loads or other reasons, there are a few class 2s running intercity using logbooks.


Well-Known Member
Here we need to have a logbook not older than 7 days, that is for vans and commercial vehicles up to 3.5 ton. All above is tachograph plus logbook.

Latest posts