The Future of Trucking?

Now, dig a bunch of potholes in the landing strip, throw out some cones and then go out and wave a flag telling the auto pilot to land in the lane to the right and quickly slow down. Disaster in 3.......2.......1........ :)
Tell an engineer he can't do something is the best way to get it done. How far away is the moon? How rough is the surface? It will happen. Not in my lifetime, (maybe not yours) but, then too, my grandmother, who died at 97, was the one who didn't believe men had landed on the moon- of course she also wouldn't try to drive a car with an automatic transmission but she learned to drive in a Model T and said she wouldn't walk across the street to see Wille or Waylon. But I could drive a Model T and love Waylon and Willie- when markets demand it it will be produced- car throttles used to be on the steering column and they were all floor shift manual transmissions- people (the market) wanted different, more user friendly, and got it- currently the market is just opening for AI transportation- when the demand is great enough the supply will show up- think cell phones- it was believed that computers would ruin automobiles, yet, here we are with them controlling truck engines- as far as drivers being *replaced*- I don't know- but the technology is almost there- it's not if but when- look at Nissan (IMS) they have automatic braking and tout it in their commercials as a safety device to keep the driver from inadvertently pulling out in front of an oncoming car- it needs perfecting sure- and I'm not saying I favor it- but, I also didn't see how computers could help cars, especially the performance industry (since that was my interest)- but here we are with street legal and completely manageable 800hp cars- mostly thanks to computers ability to control, in milliseconds, fuel and air and transmissions- as I said, "it ain't the same, but, it's the same"- AI.

Tell an engineer he can't do something is the best way to get it done. How far away is the moon? How rough is the surface? It will happen. Not in my lifetime, (maybe not yours) but, then too, my grandmother, who died at 97, was the one who didn't believe men had landed on the moon- of course she also wouldn't try to drive a car with an automatic transmission but she learned to drive in a Model T and said she wouldn't walk across the street to see Wille or Waylon. But I could drive a Model T and love Waylon and Willie- when markets demand it it will be produced- car throttles used to be on the steering column and they were all floor shift manual transmissions- people (the market) wanted different, more user friendly, and got it- currently the market is just opening for AI transportation- when the demand is great enough the supply will show up- think cell phones- it was believed that computers would ruin automobiles, yet, here we are with them controlling truck engines- as far as drivers being *replaced*- I don't know- but the technology is almost there- it's not if but when- look at Nissan (IMS) they have automatic braking and tout it in their commercials as a safety device to keep the driver from inadvertently pulling out in front of an oncoming car- it needs perfecting sure- and I'm not saying I favor it- but, I also didn't see how computers could help cars, especially the performance industry (since that was my interest)- but here we are with street legal and completely manageable 800hp cars- mostly thanks to computers ability to control, in milliseconds, fuel and air and transmissions- as I said, "it ain't the same, but, it's the same"- AI.
Trucks also have collision avoidance braking. But when somthing pops out 3ft in front of it. It’s still gonna make contact. I am not saying it won’t happen in the future, but it’s not going to happen any time soon. People are backing off the game now. Putting more focus into making alternative fuels and electric work. Because they haven’t engineered the technology to deal with chaos. Is there a guy in a room working on it? I am sure there is. But air traffic can not be compared to automobile traffic. It is a very controlled environment in the sky.

Now, dig a bunch of potholes in the landing strip, throw out some cones and then go out and wave a flag telling the auto pilot to land in the lane to the right and quickly slow down. Disaster in 3.......2.......1........ :)
Or just turn off the satellites.

Commercial airliners are flown on "auto pilot" and have been for many moons- 747's land by computer control- the satellites are computer controlled- not saying it's the same thing, but, it's the same thing- tell an engineer he can't do something is the best way to get it done- people thought Jules Vern was crazy- we now know the Moon isn't made of cheese-
It's not even close to the same problem. In the case of an airplane, there is a fixed ground-based system (ILS landing system) that is used to provide information to the aircraft flight computers on the exact location of the touchdown zone in three-dimensional space, and guidance to the outer marker (a land based system) is also provided. There is no conflicting air traffic because they're operating in positively controlled, restricted airspace. There are no potholes, construction zones, closed routes, in fact ground clearance is guaranteed by enforced minimum altitudes, and controlled descent profiles. Finally, by regulation, the overall final authority and responsibility for safe conduct of the flight rests with the Pilot in Command.

You mentioned "moon landings." The Apollo era system was specifically designed for a man to be an integral part of the system. There was a flight computer that was continually updated with radar altitude, and a landing profile, but the LM pilots (because it took two men working as a team) were always an integral part of the system. The Pilot in Command was the final authority on descent to the lunar surface, and did in fact, prevent the first landing from becoming a computer controlled disaster. The last 10 minutes, powered descent from 50,000 feet, was as much an engineering test flight by two test pilots as anything else: it had never been done before during the Apollo 11 mission.

Robotical trucks are supposed to accomplish the entire task by reference to internal autonomous systems only. This is totally different, in a completely chaotic, uncontrolled environment.

Last edited:
I don't even understand why they're bothering to automate trucks when they could just throw a steer axle under the front of a trailer. Just eliminate the truck altogether and have an automated electric powered dolly. Hang the battery in all that space under the box. Done.

It's not even close to the same problem. In the case of an airplane, there is a fixed ground-based system (ILS landing system) that is used to provide information to the aircraft flight computers on the exact location of the touchdown zone in three-dimensional space, and guidance to the outer marker (a land based system) is also provided. There is no conflicting air traffic because they're operating in positively controlled, restricted airspace. There are no potholes, construction zones, closed routes, in fact ground clearance is guaranteed by enforced minimum altitudes, and controlled descent profiles. Finally, by regulation, the overall final authority and responsibility for safe conduct of the flight rests with the Pilot in Command.

You mentioned "moon landings." The Apollo era system was specifically designed for a man to be an integral part of the system. There was a flight computer that was continually updated with radar altitude, and a landing profile, but the LM pilots (because it took two men working as a team) were always an integral part of the system. The Pilot in Command was the final authority on descent to the lunar surface, and did in fact, prevent the first landing from becoming a computer controlled disaster. The last 10 minutes, powered descent from 50,000 feet, was as much an engineering test flight by two test pilots as anything else: it had never been done before during the Apollo 11 mission.

Robotical trucks are supposed to accomplish the entire task by reference to internal autonomous systems only. This is totally different, in a completely chaotic, uncontrolled environment.
AI is AI- the degree is constantly changing- you can argue all you want about the examples but it won't change the facts-

There's latency, just not enough to notice. That still doesn't explain how a 5G network will kill jobs.
whats the max speed with latency can offer you for home service. mine was a gig with a latency of 26 miliseconds. verizon the latency is under a milisecond and speeds upto 20 gigs down:eek: for the home modem and 2-3 gigs down on your phone. now there's variables in there as well like line of sight how close you are to the tower most of the time it's 200 - 300 feet and it even depends on what 5G phone you use as well!!! the only reason verizons and everyone else is using the 4G lte to upload is because devices aint powerfull enough to upload over a 5g network.

think about the damm robots will have enough bandwith for all of the data they will consume like self driving trucks and cars wich BTW 4g LTE can't support

Last edited:
Isn't it obvious? He's gonna switch to whatever carrier does it best and that will singlehandedly shut down his old carrier. They won't be able to carry on without his patronage.

I mean, duhhhhh. Sheesh.
haha damm right i will only use verizon i tried the other three and it's not worth the savings vs having service that just works!!!

whats the max speed with latency can offer you for home service. mine was a gig with a latency of 26 miliseconds. verizon the latency is under a milisecond and speeds upto 20 gigs down:eek: for the home modem and 2-3 gigs down on your phone. now there's variables in there as well like line of sight how close you are to the tower most of the time it's 200 - 300 feet and it even depends on what 5G phone you use as well!!! the only reason verizons and everyone else is using the 4G lte to upload is because devices aint powerfull enough to upload over a 5g network.

think about the damm robots will have enough bandwith for all of the data they will consume like self driving trucks and cars wich BTW 4g LTE can't support
A robot (cyborg) will not be controlled in real time over a network, especially any kind of safety-sensitive application. Cellular links, WiFi, (even digital over cable although it is different) are digital data modulated onto a carrier wave - essentially radio. Some good ol' fashioned RF interference, and there goes the integrity of your link, and the coherence of your data packets. Sure, you'll get program updates, new operational scripts, but direct control of robots ain't happening.

I still think the first trucks to be fully automated will be the union freight outfits. Same lanes and runs for 70 years.

I don’t know if the teamsters realize it yet but they are going to be PISSED.

I still think the first trucks to be fully automated will be the union freight outfits. Same lanes and runs for 70 years.

I don’t know if the teamsters realize it yet but they are going to be PISSED.
That's who I always think of when I picture automation that works. Even if they can't use it everywhere they could put it in enough lanes to be worthwhile.

Same for Walmart DC to DC.

Both of those kinds of trucking could modify their facilities to accommodate and even control them for more full use... possibly even automated parking and docking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread