The forum has gotten too large, time for some major furniture moving.

Mike

I have been staring at the main page of the forums for quite some time now and realizing that the page has become far too large, especially for a forum with less than 1 million posts. I'm currently in the process of deciding how to completely rearrange everything.

While it may be confusing in the beginning for those that have been here for a while, I think something more streamlined might end up being a better overall user experience.

This will all be done "live", so expect to get confused as things move around, get renamed, and possibly even disappear for a while. All the content will remain, it may just end up in a different place.

For example, my biggest project will be to get rid of "General Trucking Discussion". This ends up being a catch all for everything, and the forums where the content would actually belong rarely gets used.

We will probably increase the amount of subforums we use, and I'm looking at a tool that will put the posts from all sub forums into a single main forum listing.

Thread prefixes and tags will likely become more used as well.

You've been warned ;)

I may make the general trucking forum a "read only" forum as I slowly move it's content into new places.

My dad always said if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Hey I got a better idea. Delete all the sub forums and just have general discussion. Then no one will worry about where to post something. Then just add tags so people can search.

I have been staring at the main page of the forums for quite some time now and realizing that the page has become far too large, especially for a forum with less than 1 million posts. I'm currently in the process of deciding how to completely rearrange everything.

While it may be confusing in the beginning for those that have been here for a while, I think something more streamlined might end up being a better overall user experience.

This will all be done "live", so expect to get confused as things move around, get renamed, and possibly even disappear for a while. All the content will remain, it may just end up in a different place.

For example, my biggest project will be to get rid of "General Trucking Discussion". This ends up being a catch all for everything, and the forums where the content would actually belong rarely gets used.

We will probably increase the amount of subforums we use, and I'm looking at a tool that will put the posts from all sub forums into a single main forum listing.

You've been warned ;)

Im leaving "That" ^^^^ alone

Too easy. I gotta make this as difficult and time consuming as possible.
giphy-gif.50947

I've had all sorts of great ideas and visions in my head as I have thought about how to do this. Then when I do it, I forget everything.

I've had all sorts of great ideas and visions in my head as I have thought about how to do this. Then when I do it, I forget everything.

That’s because you think of them while you’re driving them when the truck stops and life kicks in it’s all POOF gone.

Do you have any idea how many novellas and full novels I’ve written in my head, the first word of which has never even made it to a rough outline?

Made a little progress. A few forums have been here a long time and have been barely used. Those have had their threads moved and the forums have been deleted.

You've been warned ;)
This should be run by Keendriver. He will know. In fact, he already knows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread