Teacher Nixes Homework for Second Graders

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
Second-grade teacher's unique homework policy goes viral

The teacher said homework just wasn’t working for her classroom anymore. So, she decided to make meaningful change.

“[Students] work hard all day. When they go home they have other things they need to learn there,” Young told CBS News. “I’m trying to develop their whole person; it’s not beneficial to go home and do pencil and paper work.”

One parent said:
We’re happy that at the end of a long school day she’ll get to come home and unwind and be a kid... go outside to play, make new friends, spend more time as a family...

I never heard of second graders having homework. When I was in second grade, school work was done at school. I didn't get actual homework until junior high school.

It didn't help me learn the material. I rarely did it and still passed every test given to me. I passed aptitude tests at the end of every year. The only reason I got crappy grades is I didn't do unnecessary homework.

Kids need time to be kids. They should not be owned by schools even on their time at home. I don't see adults taking office work home. They work at work and then go home to relax and be with their families. Why should children be treated any differently?

It's no wonder to me, seeing this, that so many children are diagnosed with either clinical depression or ADHD and then heavily medicated. They don't have time to just be kids. They don't have time to run and play, be creative or just daydream. They are saddled with hours of homework every day and are strapped to books and papers.

It's about time a teacher sees the negative effect constant work with no reprieve, even at home, has on kids. FFS, let 'em play! They're children! Schools, above all, should understand the need for children to have fun. Yet, they steal every waking moment from them with mounds of homework.

I really hope this catches on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread