Tax deduction for otrs

truckdrivertim

For otrs...fees paid to gyms or even entire gym memberships while otr..,are they tax deductible????

For otrs...fees paid to gyms or even entire gym memberships while otr..,are they tax deductible????
typically....typically....only things used for your job are tax deductible. like clothings, work boots/shoes, jackets, coats, thermal underwear/thermal socks (maybe), pens, pencils pads, windex, paper towels,, cooler, (maybe) a cb radio so i have heard.

anything for yourself such as gym, video's, punching bags, weights, roller blades, skate boards, etc...like you were told...red flag for an audit.

they wouldn't be anymore a tax write off at your house.

The trick 2 taxes and write offs is well find a TAX PROFFESIONAL...

I will say as a Long Divorced guy with GROWN Children ...unless your income goes beyond 40k the Mortgage Write off.....healthcare premiums and out of pocket costs will bring ya back down ...

Even at that for REAL "Write Offs" ya need a WIFE and more ANKLE - Biters to "Pad" the Dependants End...and unless the WIFE is "working" Too the Income level too low for actual Write OFFs...

What I mean is the STANDARD outweighs your mcdonalds receipts and Home 4 work related junk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as much as I complain there is a very calculated "reason" why I dont exactly "strive" 2 break 40k .....

The "Above" aint enough 2 be worthwile its MORE HOURS to Pay in TAXES

Aint enough to GAIN...

Often about Summer Time actually QUIT whatever Job I have and pick up again about Fall

Well as much as I complain there is a very calculated "reason" why I dont exactly "strive" 2 break 40k .....

Aint enough to GAIN...

Often about Summer Time actually QUIT whatever Job I have and pick up again about Fall
i just never volunteered for or asked for over time. but i never stopped or topped at 40k.....that's just insane......earn as much now as you can at your regular pay, without overtime, and secure a much higher SS income when you retire.....

it's when you work overtime you get taxed more, (on that paycheck) getting nearly half the pay for the hours worked. work 20 OT, pay half in taxes, or paid for 10 hours OT..THAT's not worth it....

Aint enough to GAIN...

I was going to guess it was because you didn't want to have to pay the ex-wife too much money but it can't be that.

I was going to guess it was because you didn't want to have to pay the ex-wife too much money but it can't be that.
i was reading the SS website..if he is divorced, and she stays single, when he retires. she can still get HALF his SS, (even his disability and of course, when he dies, she gets it all...but she MUST stay single...

so either way he loses...BUT they MUST have been married for 10 years or more......

If You Are Divorced

i just never volunteered for or asked for over time. but i never stopped or topped at 40k.....that's just insane......earn as much now as you can at your regular pay, without overtime, and secure a much higher SS income when you retire.....

it's when you work overtime you get taxed more, (on that paycheck) getting nearly half the pay for the hours worked. work 20 OT, pay half in taxes, or paid for 10 hours OT..THAT's not worth it....

Not really planning on being around at 65...

Then again alot of people say that

Might be possible, at least in some cases to include gym memberships under health expenses, but I would get the advice of a tax pro before attempting it.
Exactly @Mike ....

People need to find a "Proffessional" Accountant ....

Not just take Half - assed adivce on the Internet or even from fellow drivers at the terminal...

A "proffesional" can look at your situation run the numbers and "actually" Tell "You"

Might be possible, at least in some cases to include gym memberships under health expenses, but I would get the advice of a tax pro before attempting it.
In 2015, I talked with my accountant about something similar for my wife and I. She was doing rehab after surgery for a bike accident that destroyed her ankle. I was doing rehab for a heart attack.

So long as we got a prescription from the doctor for physical rehab, it would be a medical expense.

Otherwise, a no no.

Last edited:
Getting my tax stuff finished up as we speak, I hate this time of year.

For the first time every, I have acquired the help of an accountant to complete all of this for me.

Didn't really need the accountant this year, or for the next couple years after this most likely, but since I will be depreciating equipment, and 99.9% that I will be incorporating in two years (possibly less), I wanted to get somebody else handling the taxes now, that way they have any and all information they need to help me make the move to incorporation.

We didnt have jack diddly squat when we split up so the expectations wernt high...

Rather we got to SPLIT the Debt into separate Bankruptcy filings

I still like the "Built In" Vacation and I still get a REFUND most years....

Next Im working on how to Abuse the Family Medical Leave act so I aint even gotta swith jobs

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread