Tax Credit for Hire/Training exchange: Incentives for New Driver bringing a check to the party?

Drive-by-Yogi

Hi Folks,

I'm sure it is no secret to anyone reading this that there is a demand for new drivers. So, new safe and responsible drivers who provide an immediate tax advantage to the business should be even more in demand, right?

I haven't found any info on the WOTC topic here, so I thought I might offer some potential help for others in a similar situation who are considering a move into a driver role. If anyone reading this falls into the target groups in the attachment I've provided, then read on. For me personally, I'd like to find out what companies out there would be willing to negotiate terms.

Snapshot of my situation:
- Honorably discharged Vet (Army)
- Unemployed (> 6 months)
- Already have ClassA CLP through home state (1/2018)
- Already have DOT physical with drug screen (2/2018)
- No accidents, dings, etc on record within past 5 years
- Based out of Charlotte, NC

***Seeking trucking company sponsorship through CVTA or NAPFTDS certified school (read: my new employer foots the bill) or company with own 3rd party certified in-house driver training program (read: my new employer foots the bill) to gain my CDL Class A and hit the road.

Now, I know there are plenty of companies out there offering tuition reimbursement for schooling. I don't have the cash and the credit financing terms out there for non title IV school funding is just ricockulous so neither are a consideration for me.

I'm seeking recommendations for companies who are willing to negotiate terms/make a business decision that just makes sense: As a member of the target groups identified in the attachment below, I bring with me up to a $5600 tax credit for their business during the next 2 years I help drive whatever I'm hauling for them from point A to B. Since the tax credit is both income and hours based - the more they pay me and the longer they pay me - the bigger the tax credit for the company I hang my hat at. I've already confirmed eligibility through my state's Dept of Commerce/Workforce Connections Division. All my future employer has to do is take 10 mins to create a free account and submit the paperwork within 28 days of my hire date (I've already filled out my piece on that).

So, does this translate to qualifying for the hiring bonuses I see floating around out there? Increased pay during training? Increased guaranteed pay? An air ticket vs. a bus ticket to travel to their in-house tng loc? Shortening of contract term/forgiveness of whatever dollar fig they associate with their in-house training or partnership with a school?

I don't yet know the answers to these questions, but I'd love to have a discussion with a trucking recruiter who "gets it" and can at least put me in contact with someone within the company authorized to negotiate a mutually-acceptable arrangement. Any thoughts, comments, complaints, or recommendations?

Thank you in advance from a "newb".

WOTC Chart_0001.jpg

Attachments

• WOTC Chart_0001.jpg
    WOTC Chart_0001.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread