Tanker Thefts

npcars

hey guys, i own a big rig tanker company in mexico and im having alot of problems with people stealing the diesel/other liquids out of my tankers. They steal from either the actual big rig tanks or the tankers themselves. sometimes its just normal thieves, but sometimes its my own drivers selling either their own diesel or whatever they may be transporting inside the tanker.

anyhow, id appreciate it if you guys could throw some ideas my way on how to stop this. perhaps some nifty little device that could help me catch these scumbags. Thanks fellas

hey guys, i own a big rig tanker company in mexico and im having alot of problems with people stealing the diesel/other liquids out of my tankers. They steal from either the actual big rig tanks or the tankers themselves. sometimes its just normal thieves, but sometimes its my own drivers selling either their own diesel or whatever they may be transporting inside the tanker.

anyhow, id appreciate it if you guys could throw some ideas my way on how to stop this. perhaps some nifty little device that could help me catch these scumbags. Thanks fellas

OK, I will bite on this one. Ever hear of a "Security Camera"? Also, what is a "normal thief"?

And lastly, how do you know it is your own drivers? Sounds like they still work for you as well...why?

Somethings you didn't mention, are the trucks all parked in a secure lot? With a fence and a guard?

Seriously, if your own drivers are stealing from you, then you need to get some new drivers..

Well maybe u can give them a little bonus so they can make a better living and take more care for there rigs and products they haul.if this is not the problem then I would buy the fuel caps with keys and have them fill up in ur yard and for the tankers I would get a digital lock.the lock consists of a regular key lock but with a digital num that changes every time u open it.so have the shipper right down the num before he leaves and tell the receiver what the num is,if they don't match u now the driver opened the lock before he got to the receiver.and most caps on a tanker u can get them with way to put the locks on them.hope this help or a least gives u ideas
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, I will bite on this one. Ever hear of a "Security Camera"? Also, what is a "normal thief"?

And lastly, how do you know it is your own drivers? Sounds like they still work for you as well...why?

Somethings you didn't mention, are the trucks all parked in a secure lot? With a fence and a guard?

Seriously, if your own drivers are stealing from you, then you need to get some new drivers..

ok flatbroke, EXPLAIN what kind of security camera? these guys are pulling over on the side of the road and selling the diesel out of their tanks right there. Unless i have security cameras on random trees and lightposts all over mexico i dont see how thats helpful. (my sincere apologies if i didnt make that clear w my first post)

a normal thief is just a thief. a random person. not someone from my own organization.

I know its my own drivers because I've gotten the heads up from others. Some I've fired, but others I cant because I dont have substantial evidence against them and I know i wouldnt stand a chance against them in court.

Well maybe u can give them a little bonus so they can make a better living and take more care for there rigs and products they haul.if this is not the problem then I would buy the fuel caps with keys and have them fill up in ur yard and for the tankers I would get a digital lock.the lock consists of a regular key lock but with a digital num that changes every time u open it.so have the shipper right down the num before he leaves and tell the receiver what the num is,if they don't match u now the driver opened the lock before he got to the receiver.and most caps on a tanker u can get them with way to put the locks on them.hope this help or a least gives u ideas
Posted via Mobile Device

lightingboy, thanks for ur extremely helpful reply. I dont wanna give these guys anymore money. as it is, they are already some of the best paid drivers in the country. BUT i am very interested in this digital lock. would you happen to know who manufactures this? Thanks in advance lightingboy.

Hire a private investigator to follow the suspects while they're running the route. They know how to blend into the environment and your drivers will never know they're being watched. Catch them "red-handed" and you will have plenty of right to fire, with cause. You may even have grounds for civil action, and, you'll have iron clad evidence.

Hell, a good PI can catch a cheatin' heart, you know they could nab a fuel thief.

ok flatbroke, EXPLAIN what kind of security camera? these guys are pulling over on the side of the road and selling the diesel out of their tanks right there. Unless i have security cameras on random trees and lightposts all over mexico i dont see how thats helpful. (my sincere apologies if i didnt make that clear w my first post)

a normal thief is just a thief. a random person. not someone from my own organization.

I know its my own drivers because I've gotten the heads up from others. Some I've fired, but others I cant because I dont have substantial evidence against them and I know i wouldnt stand a chance against them in court.

Well I ain't gonna get in a pissin match here with you over YOUR company..but seems to me like if you KNOW they are stealing fuel..then get rid of them or prosecute them..

You pay for the fuel, don't you? You know how many miles your trucks are running on each load vs the fuel used right? If not you should, since you own the company..

Most times a driver here in the states pulls a "trick" like this he is upset at the company or the company has crooked him or her in someway.

As a matter of fact you didn't explain your first post as to whether they were doing it parked at the terminal or out on the road..I took for granted since your trucks you said haul diesel that it was a local company and the drivers parked on the yard (terminal) as they do around here.

If so buy you a surveillance camera system and put it up all over the property.

But you said they are doing it out on the road...then IF YOU buy the fuel for the trucks, figure out exactly how much fuel they (the trucks) need each day, and LIMIT the fuel purchases you as the owner allow.

Other than that you can do what 2xR suggest hire a PI to follow your trucks around all day..

ha, i'ed just get out of mexico.

nobody is honest in mexico, all scum. stealing is a way of life down there,
then they come up here and steal from us.

There are cameras and recording devices that can be concealed in or on the vehicle to record what is going on. I have seen this setup used to keep and eye on teen drivers, and in bait cars cops use to catch car thieves.

It is a shame that people who work for you cannot be honest. If I owned a business one thing I would make perfectly clear with everyone who worked for me would be that dishonesty will not be tolerated. Period. Steal from me and you are fired. End of story.

Mexico is not bad south of the border areas and away from Mexico City, I have done a little(very little) traveling down there, the farmers and villagers I met were real nice. Very poor but clean and willing to share. Near the resorts towns, it is also another completely different world. But the border areas are just nasty and dangerous places and it is not getting any better

People steal because they're poor, (true, wealthy people steal, but they can get laws passed to make their thievery legal). Mexico is a poor country. You know these drivers are paid even worse than US drivers, so you know damn well they're poor. If you want to stop rampant theft, pay your drivers enough that it wouldn't be worth it to steal. Then, you'd have driver retention, which no other trucking company can manage, and you could hire the cream of the crop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread