• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

SWIFT and Werner Seeing Profits Dropping Due To Pricing Pressure

If Werner "had more freight than drivers," I suspect they wouldn't have a profitability problem.

:toothpick:

I think she typed it backwards.
Youreright I did.I just reread it more closer.Werner has more drivers then freight,much more..Only thing I can think why they keep hiring is because they do receive subsidy for each person.

Something is going on between swift and warner. As a swifty myself I have noticed at swift terminals and on the road. Warner trucks pulling swift trailers and even warner trucks and trailers parked at swift terminals

I doubt it. Swift leases out their trailer surplus, and Werner hauls a ton of account freight (P&G, Nabisco, Hormel etc etc etc). I used to see UPS hauling around Swift trailers up in Jersey a lot as well.

I hope not.

Monopoly, market share, etc.

It would be like Walmart buying out Target.
what does that matter it's all crap from china both stores hiring third world help:confused-96:. i won't step foot in a walmart. there help is lazy and they stock the shelves with open box crap that hasn't been inspected and it's missing parts or flat out don't work' the isles are always full with product during rush hour. and it's the only store with 500 employee's and they only have 2 lanes open it's not rocket science. walmart was best when the old man was alive

what does that matter it's all crap from china both stores hiring third world help:confused-96:. i won't step foot in a walmart. there help is lazy and they stock the shelves with open box crap that hasn't been inspected and it's missing parts or flat out don't work' the isles are always full with product during rush hour. and it's the only store with 500 employee's and they only have 2 lanes open it's not rocket science. walmart was best when the old man was alive
It doesn't take much to send you on an off topic rant, does it? ;)

And this problem affect all the small and medium companies in every state ?
That mean if i understand correctly.There is a rude competition between the big carrier . And may be if this problem persist they paid less per miles for the OTR driver . And may be some one lost job .Or are facing an unemployment for some week or some month ?
And you what is your own opinion about this problem , do you think the business are over limit due a brutal competition , or every think look like normal .

And this problem affect all the small and medium companies in every state ?
That mean if i understand correctly.There is a rude competition between the big carrier . And may be if this problem persist they paid less per miles for the OTR driver . And may be some one lost job .Or are facing an unemployment for some week or some month ?
And you what is your own opinion about this problem , do you think the business are over limit due a brutal competition , or every think look like normal .

Everyone is affected to some extent.
Big companies have a harder time adjusting to market forces but not to the point where it should have a huge impact long term.

Some companies do cut wages in downturn but trucking companies rarely ever lay drivers off officially.
Drivers may spend the week earning a couple of days pay though.

My opinion is that we haven't had an actual recovery from the recession of 8 - 10 years ago.
Oil fracking employed many people and softened the effects somewhat but cheap oil on the world market has devastated that industry and the trucks involved. All those trucks and drivers entered other segments to earn a living which contributes to current over capacity.

Rail also moved much of the crude to refineries so they freed up capacity as well which put even more pressure on truckload rates.

This isn't going to be a short term correction IMO.

Too many drivers too.

A truck without a driver isn't going to be considered "capacity". It's nothing but overhead lined up in a parking lot.

That Swift letter literally just came out & admitted there is no driver shortage in real life.

Like I've been saying for years, it's just a ruse to maintain a labor supply/demand balance tipped in their favor so they can keep driver wages down?
Just wait a while and when the dust settles from the Elogs and the "new" csa nonsense that the Fmcsa wants to push thru."if they get there way" It will be ok for the guys and gals that are still out here

Everyone is affected to some extent.
Big companies have a harder time adjusting to market forces but not to the point where it should have a huge impact long term.

Some companies do cut wages in downturn but trucking companies rarely ever lay drivers off officially.
Drivers may spend the week earning a couple of days pay though.

My opinion is that we haven't had an actual recovery from the recession of 8 - 10 years ago.
Oil fracking employed many people and softened the effects somewhat but cheap oil on the world market has devastated that industry and the trucks involved. All those trucks and drivers entered other segments to earn a living which contributes to current over capacity.

Rail also moved much of the crude to refineries so they freed up capacity as well which put even more pressure on truckload rates.

This isn't going to be a short term correction IMO.
Competing with XPO, HUB, CSX, and APL in the intermodal stuff is cutting some to. Swift, Schneider, and JB Hunt have made huge investments in it in the last decade. Hell I have seen more CR England box's in Memphis than Schneider lately.

They are bringing their JR Simplot stuff down by rail I hear.

Competing with XPO, HUB, CSX, and APL in the intermodal stuff is cutting some to. Swift, Schneider, and JB Hunt have made huge investments in it in the last decade. Hell I have seen more CR England box's in Memphis than Schneider lately.

They are bringing their JR Simplot stuff down by rail I hear.

My neighbor at the Independence day shoot-out said, "once the train clears..." [whistle in the distance].

HELL NO!!
Those bastards just cost me 17%...
start blasting...
I'll pay for the ammo...
and the bail.
;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread