"Stress Cards" in the military and "Time-Outs"

DrDaliah

A few years back I heard employees would take a "Stress Day" off at work and it appears the military allows "time outs" when cadets are stressed in boot camp. Does this help or hurt them in the long run? What's the best way to mentally condition for stress? In medical school (no where near as vigorous as boot camp) we were screamed at, smacked with instruments, awake for 36 hours straight, and called every unthinkable name while trying to operate depending on who our attending was. And if we didn't perform, someone died. I'm not convinced that's the best way to go either but it allowed a selection process to occur. I want our military to have all the resources they need and then some but I'm not convinced the stress cards help the situation much.....

Stress Cards and “Time Outs” in the Military

A few years back I heard employees would take a "Stress Day" off at work and it appears the military allows "time outs" when cadets are stressed in boot camp. Does this help or hurt them in the long run? What's the best way to mentally condition for stress? In medical school (no where near as vigorous as boot camp) we were screamed at, smacked with instruments, awake for 36 hours straight, and called every unthinkable name while trying to operate depending on who our attending was. And if we didn't perform, someone died. I'm not convinced that's the best way to go either but it allowed a selection process to occur. I want our military to have all the resources they need and then some but I'm not convinced the stress cards help the situation much.....

Stress Cards and “Time Outs” in the Military

if General George Patton was still alive, he'd slap the shit out those cry-baby stressed pus==='s.....

best way to remedy stress in youngun's...??

put a soap bar in a towel, and beat the crap outta them.

military is no place to be a cry baby...suck it up buttercups.....

and YES...doc...i too am very aware of the treatment residents got/get.........

it MAKES YOU work under extreme life/death situations, rather than..."oh peeshaw...it's coffee break time"....

I had a kid pull a stress card on me during summer camp one year from basic.

Didn't go over well.

He walked the 6 miles back to camp. It was therapeutic for him. Did right away with his stress.

In the case of military operations, bad idea. There is no time outs in war. It tends to lead to people receiving purple hearts.

it MAKES YOU work under extreme life/death situations, rather than..."oh peeshaw...it's coffee break time"....
Probably why some here don't get my take on matters.

"No" is not an option. It just tells me (figuratively for people) that you are not willing to make any extra effort to ensure people or a task is completed.

You can do that at my place, however, they want a 24 hour advance notice, and HR wants a return to duty packet completed by a medical professional...LOL, most of us get our 'time out' while driving!!LOL

best way to remedy stress in youngun's...??

put a soap bar in a towel, and beat the crap outta them.

Man I hope your talking about recruits and not kids.

And no beating the crap out of them is not the point. Pushing them to the limits to make sure they can cope, a couple love taps to help them focus, some motivational exercise but a soap bar in a towel?

No.

And no beating the crap out of them is not the point. Pushing them to the limits to make sure they can cope, a couple love taps to help them focus, some motivational exercise but a soap bar in a towel?

No.
He would've been invited to ETS

No.
recruits as far as the article went on to say...no, not kids....i just call young people...youngin's....or kids.

Last edited:

No.
it's from a movie i saw, i think it was Full Metal jacket.....then the guy went berserk...on his drill sergeant.

Blanket parties may happen in a barracks, but SOP for training is to bounce them if you have to start beating them.

Blanket parties may happen in a barracks, but SOP for training is to bounce them if you have to start beating them.
aren't "some" recruits recycled into the system for a second chance to straighten up?

in any event, to need a time out card, suggests to me, that'll be a **** poor soldier, marine, seaman, airman, etc. the entitled crowd strikes again.

i see no heroes raising a flag as in Iwo Jima, ever again

You barely see our flag raised over a public library on our own soil. You damn sure won't see it raised over a battlefield our guys just took. It ain't PC to declare victory in this manner.
i could care less about being PC in the battlefield. we take over the land, it's "ours", the flag should wave proudly.

frankly, i really hadn't taken notice of any libraries lately.

Stress card? In basic training?

o_O

Either someone's on drugs, or we're gonna lose the next war real quick. You got sent to "Motivation" for that kind of crap when I was in.

Stress card? In basic training?

o_O

Either someone's on drugs, or we're gonna lose the next war real quick. You got sent to "Motivation" for that kind of crap when I was in.
that's exactly what i had asked about "recycling"( a term i had heard too many years ago)...now they call it "motivation"..good, glad to hear that!!

You barely see our flag raised over a public library on our own soil. You damn sure won't see it raised over a battlefield our guys just took. It ain't PC to declare victory in this manner.
Probably because the area they just took was not taken for America It was taken for the citizens of an oppressive leader or organization.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread