Stores closing

ironmanwife

Barn goddess
It seems there are lots of stores that are closing due to the "recession" and the fact that people are not shopping. If you have any "gift cards" from these stores, make sure you use them, or you will lose them !

Watch those store money cards and gift cards.. and credit slips! Stores that informed the Security Exchange of closing plans between October 2008 and January 2009. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

Circuit City stores... most recent (? how many)

Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be shuttered

Lane Bryant,, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 store nationwide

[FONT=MS
Reference Sans Serif] Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January[/FONT]

Cache will close all stores

Talbots closing down all stores

J. Jill closing all stores

GAP closing 85 stores

Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January

Wickes Furniture closing down

Levitz closing down remaining stores

Bombay closing remaining stores

Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January.

Whitehall closing all stores

Piercing Pagoda closing all stores

Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.

Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ (New Brunswick)

Macys to close 9 stores after January

Linens and Things closing all stores

Movie Galley Closing all stores

Pacific Sunware closing stores

Pep Boys Closing 33 stores

Sprint/ Nextel closing 133 stores

JC Penney closing a number of stores after January

Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.

Wilson Leather closing down all stores

Sharper Image closing down all stores

K B Toys closing 356 stores

Lowes to close down some stores

Dillard's to close some stores.

There was a 3% increase in shoppers on Black Friday from last year, and a 7% increase in spending while shopping over last year.

Might not be as bad as we think, not sure how to take those numbers. Guess we will no more by Christmas. Big increase in cash spending though, as so many have defaulted on their credit cards.

There was a 3% increase in shoppers on Black Friday from last year, and a 7% increase in spending while shopping over last year.

Might not be as bad as we think, not sure how to take those numbers. Guess we will no more by Christmas. Big increase in cash spending though, as so many have defaulted on their credit cards.
Well on the other hand people only bought the cheap advertised things that where suppost to bring them into the stores..they didn't fall for the I gotto have that too or I die scheme..plus a large percentage off shoppers is done shopping..:sad:
There Credit cards...
Credit-card industry may cut $2 trillion lines: analyst | Reuters

I could have sworn we were told the $700 billion bailout was to save Americans mortgages...oh that's right...it was changed to help loosen credit lines. :wtf:

-ss-

Well on the other hand people only bought the cheap advertised things that where suppost to bring them into the stores..they didn't fall for the I gotto have that too or I die scheme.

Sounds like smart shopping for a change, LOL

I'm not saying that it's not bad, nor is it good that people are losing their jobs. I've noticed a few on that list that are just becoming outdated with the times, or having stand alone stores is not financially smart.

• Disney. Do we really need to have a separate store to buy limited edition X10 DVD's of cartoons? Plus, DVD's won't be around much longer because it's quickly becoming outdated due to Blu-ray and the ease of downloading.
  • Movie Gallery the same concept. Renting movies as we know it will be gone soon. I know I don't use them anymore. (not the sole basis of my opinion)
  • Sprint and Nextel are probably just taking the opprotunity to get rid of dead weight left over from the merger. Why have a whole store when you can do like Verizon is doing and putting kiosks in CC and Best Buy. Then Walmart electronics you can buy and sign up for any service at their kiosk. Why have the overhead?
I could find more, but I don't have time. Consider that I might be full of sh!t. It just seems to me that it's harder for people to justify spending money at specialty stores like Pacific Sun and Piercing Pagoda (etc). I also understand not everything falls in this catagory.

I agree with you..its the survival of the fittest..people have to offer quality, good customer service at good prices to get the consumer moving..I am glad that a few companies that cheat and steal as soon as they have your card number will go under..:mad:

Circuit City Stores, Inc. to Liquidate

RICHMOND, Va., Jan 16, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Circuit City Stores, Inc. announced today that it will seek Bankruptcy Court approval to begin the process to liquidate the assets of the company.
"We are extremely disappointed by this outcome. The company had been in continuous negotiations regarding a going concern transaction. Regrettably for the more than 30,000 employees of Circuit City and our loyal customers, we were unable to reach an agreement with our creditors and lenders to structure a going-concern transaction in the limited timeframe available, and so this is the only possible path for our company," said James A. Marcum, vice chairman and acting president and chief executive officer for Circuit City Stores, Inc.
Full Story

http://www.circuitcity.com/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread