Start a truck stop.

hurgoll

Here at wabash national. In Lafayette Indiana. We have no close truck stop. Hundreds of driver go through our plant alone and it is around 30 miles either way to the nearest stop.

Someone could make a killing here.

This country desperately needs more truckstops in several locations. There is simply not enough parking area for the amount of trucks out here.

This country desperately needs more truckstops in several locations. There is simply not enough parking area for the amount of trucks out here.

What really makes me mad is that everyone needs trucks. Yet no one wants to let a tired driver sleep on his lot. Or want a truck stop nearby. WHY?
They are needed badly. They complain about tired drivers and yet don't want them to stop near them... stupid stupid stupid

We do need more truck stops, but I can understand why some communites don't want them in the area. They often tend to attract lowlifes (drug dealers and prostitution). Of course, most of this could be eliminated with proper police patrols, not that it will ever happen.

Well, I still dont understand why there aren't more truck stops. We are in major need of them regardless of the "lowlifes". I think if the communities want the products that the trucks bring then they should open a truck stop.

Well, I still dont understand why there aren't more truck stops. We are in major need of them regardless of the "lowlifes". I think if the communities want the products that the trucks bring then they should open a truck stop.

Thats how I feel, these places don't mind making you sit for hours waiting to load and unload. Then heaven forbid you sleep a couple of hours on the lot.

We do need more truck stops, but I can understand why some communites don't want them in the area. They often tend to attract lowlifes (drug dealers and prostitution). Of course, most of this could be eliminated with proper police patrols, not that it will ever happen.

This is sort of true. They can only attract the lowlifes that already exist in the area. For example if they set up a truck stop around here, four stay at home moms will not suddenly decide to start hooking. :D But then again maybe.... hehe

Thats how I feel, these places don't mind making you sit for hours waiting to load and unload. Then heaven forbid you sleep a couple of hours on the lot.

yea, Last year, my husband was in a TINY town in Utah or somewhere in that area.. There were no truck stops within 1hours drive so he just slept on the lot ... 2 hours later some guy comes banging on the door telling him he has to leave... he can't sleep there.. Its an "eyesore".. WTF? I mean nevermind that the load was there at9 pm and they were supposed to have him unloaded by 10 but didn't get to him until 1am.. Their fault not his but they still wouldn't even let him sleep for a bit... UNGRATEFUL %@#%&*@ LOL

When the coal mines shut down here, most went to trucking. So the city passed an ordinance prohibiting trucks on the streets. No truck stops. No place to park.

So we got a new city council.

This problem is just one of hundreds proving that this country is against the trucking industry.

I have been think for years that there needs to be more secure parking for drivers. No necessarily truck stops, maybe guarded parking areas. If I were to start buying real estate and building these rest stops, I wonder if drivers would be willing to pay a small fee to park?

I agree with the walbash dude/dudete... We have a terminal in lafayette, but it closes at 5 pm. They did have us in mind though... they provided us a porta pottie. Guess that was our driver appreciation gift for the year. I don't think there is anything in that town that stays open all night except Wal-mart. But we're probably not allowed to park there long enough to get our groceries. It's no wonder that this industry is going down hill. All the good drivers are getting fed up w/it, and they are pumping drivers thru the cdl schools as fast as they can. Sometimes a good driver gets thru with some good training, but only sometimes. If they do build a truckstop anywhere around there, with a walbash plant there, they better have plenty of bobtail parking... That means most of the traffic will be coming in bobtail, no telling how many miles these companies sent drivers in to get a trailer, no doubt they will be tight on hours, then all the spots will be full of bobtails.

I agree with the walbash dude/dudete... We have a terminal in lafayette, but it closes at 5 pm. They did have us in mind though... they provided us a porta pottie. Guess that was our driver appreciation gift for the year. I don't think there is anything in that town that stays open all night except Wal-mart. But we're probably not allowed to park there long enough to get our groceries. It's no wonder that this industry is going down hill. All the good drivers are getting fed up w/it, and they are pumping drivers thru the cdl schools as fast as they can. Sometimes a good driver gets thru with some good training, but only sometimes. If they do build a truckstop anywhere around there, with a walbash plant there, they better have plenty of bobtail parking... That means most of the traffic will be coming in bobtail, no telling how many miles these companies sent drivers in to get a trailer, no doubt they will be tight on hours, then all the spots will be full of bobtails.

The wal-Mart on county road 350 lets drivers park on the gravel area on the east side of the lot. They are really cool about it. Helps a lot.

Locally, the walmart will have you fined for tresspassing if your truck is on their lot. Even if you are there to get supplies. If you aren't in the process of picking up or dropping off you'd better move on.

I shop at Target.

That is terrible that Walmart does that Accer. They have really gone down hill since Sam Walton has died.

In the town of Montgomery City, Missouri the town has provided paid parking lots for truck drivers,and o/o's. I think for like 30 dollars every 45 days you get even gravelled parking lot with electrical plug in for winter months, and patrolled units frequently scan these lots to keep out squatters. We have anew four lane interchange and highway coming through town and I am actively seeking the same deal through our town council. Our town has like a 2800 population with well over 50% of the working class that are truck drivers. There are 5 spots to park a truck-trailer in town and if you are lucky you can get permission to park at hte local grain-elevator for a few hours. I've been told I may not even be able to bob-tail down to my house in the future to park in my own driveway.

Here at wabash national. In Lafayette Indiana. We have no close truck stop. Hundreds of driver go through our plant alone and it is around 30 miles either way to the nearest stop.

Someone could make a killing here.

it takes millions of dollars to get a truckstop planned and built. you got the EPA, DEM, and other federal and state agencies. you got surrounding homes, business's and the general political climate to contend with. you got roads, or service roads, or exit ramps to construct. just because you think someone can "make a killing here" doesn't mean squat. the bean counters do thier job, and if the numbers don't add up, no truckstop will be built. don't forget, "wetlands" issues play into this as well as "sanctaury's" for wildlife too.

so there is way more to putting up a truckstop than you'll ever know, and parking for trucker's just isn't the first thing that anyone thinks about.

I realize this is slightly sideways to the main point of the topic, but the mention of the EPA and other organizations brought to mind my situation.

I am a driver that moved indoors to be a fleet manager and then after loosing too much hair from stress decided the shop was the best place to hide. :)

I started a mobile oil and lube service here in the Denver area. Primary market is owner-ops that dont want to go over to the T/A or Speedco on their weekends. I show up, do the service and they get to hang out in the house with momma the whole time.

Waste oil, EPA regs about hazards, municipal water boards worried about accidental discharges, and a litany of other issues was the hardest part of putting this business together.

I can only imagine how much more difficult a full blown truckstop would be!

I can sympathize with you drivers though, having been there myself. Parking spots are premium and sleep is not just a luxury, contrary to the thoughts of those whose goods we ship.

I realize this is slightly sideways to the main point of the topic, but the mention of the EPA and other organizations brought to mind my situation.

I am a driver that moved indoors to be a fleet manager and then after loosing too much hair from stress decided the shop was the best place to hide. :)

I started a mobile oil and lube service here in the Denver area. Primary market is owner-ops that dont want to go over to the T/A or Speedco on their weekends. I show up, do the service and they get to hang out in the house with momma the whole time.

Waste oil, EPA regs about hazards, municipal water boards worried about accidental discharges, and a litany of other issues was the hardest part of putting this business together.

I can only imagine how much more difficult a full blown truckstop would be!

I can sympathize with you drivers though, having been there myself. Parking spots are premium and sleep is not just a luxury, contrary to the thoughts of those whose goods we ship.

in many parts of the country, waste water from a simple car wash business has to be "caught" in a catch basin type of area, then cleaned, and either recycled or then moved to the sewer systems......

many truckstops have "catch basins" out back someplace where the run-off water from the parking lot goes. so here, again, the EPA, DEM (department of enviroment management=nearly same as EPA, but at state levels), and other issues must be addressed first as i stated.

those "catch basins" are breeding grounds for mosquito's and given the disease mosquito's spread, this becomes a BIG ISSUE.........

every year (in my area) mosquito spraying of the state takes place, as well as many other states. i don't think anyone wants to provide the disease spreading mosquito's a home, anytime too soon.............

in many parts of the country, waste water from a simple car wash business has to be "caught" in a catch basin type of area, then cleaned, and either recycled or then moved to the sewer systems......

many truckstops have "catch basins" out back someplace where the run-off water from the parking lot goes. so here, again, the EPA, DEM (department of enviroment management=nearly same as EPA, but at state levels), and other issues must be addressed first as i stated.

those "catch basins" are breeding grounds for mosquito's and given the disease mosquito's spread, this becomes a BIG ISSUE.........

every year (in my area) mosquito spraying of the state takes place, as well as many other states. i don't think anyone wants to provide the disease spreading mosquito's a home, anytime too soon.............

A food grade tank wash, I use to go to in PA. had the EPA come in on them for letting "Chocolate" being washed from our tanks run onto the ground.

They made the owner install a catch tank, just a resivoir to hold the "dirty water" no recycle just a tank to catch it in.

He then turns around and gives or sells it to a farmer down the road who takes it and feeds it to his cows.....that crap it out onto the fields. Is that a sort of recycle system? After it goes through a cow it is clean enough to dump it onto the ground..:headscratch:

LOL, I have been to washouts in various big cities where you washed the blood out of a reefer trailer (hauling fresh kill meat) right on to the city street. You literally drove to a street that was on a grade, opened the doors, and a guy with a portable power washer sprayed it straight to the ground :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread