Squealing tires

four wheels

NoPower2Move
Anybody know reasons for car tires squeeling while going around a corner or stopping at a light or stop sign at slow speeds?

The alignment of the front wheels is set to make them perfectly parallel to each other only when they're both facing straight forward.

The harder you cut the wheels, the further misaligned they are with each other, and since they're not pointing in precisely the same direction, one of them will slip sideways, making them squeal. This is normal.

Sometimes hot pavement or underinflated tires will cause them to squeal. There's a parking garage in Chicago at Mrs. Duck's doctor's office, where at the ends of each row, you have to make a sharp 180 degree turn on concrete that's kind of a rough surface. Everybody's tires squeal in those turns, mainly because it's a sharp enough turn that everyone's front wheels go far enough out of alignment until they straighten out again.

If your tires are squealing when moving in a straight line, but on the brakes, it could be low tires or they're out of alignment. When you're on the brakes, extra weight shifts onto the front axle, which is why the front end of the car dips down. With more weight on them while braking, if they're out of alignment (when steering straight forward) it could make them squeal just because there's more friction between the pavement & the tire that's side-slipping a little.

Rubber Duck said:
The alignment of the front wheels is set to make them perfectly parallel to each other only when they're both facing straight forward.

The harder you cut the wheels, the further misaligned they are with each other, and since they're not pointing in precisely the same direction, one of them will slip sideways, making them squeal. This is normal.

Sometimes hot pavement or underinflated tires will cause them to squeal. There's a parking garage in Chicago at Mrs. Duck's doctor's office, where at the ends of each row, you have to make a sharp 180 degree turn on concrete that's kind of a rough surface. Everybody's tires squeal in those turns, mainly because it's a sharp enough turn that everyone's front wheels go far enough out of alignment until they straighten out again.

If your tires are squealing when moving in a straight line, but on the brakes, it could be low tires or they're out of alignment. When you're on the brakes, extra weight shifts onto the front axle, which is why the front end of the car dips down. With more weight on them while braking, if they're out of alignment (when steering straight forward) it could make them squeal just because there's more friction between the pavement & the tire that's side-slipping a little.

Also since the turning radius is different the tires are actually moving at different speeds. The outside tire has a wider arc while the inside tire has a smaller arc.

Injun said:
Too much throttle.

Speed in and of itself does not cause tire squeal.

But too much speed for the maneuver does. So if your going into a 5 mph turn in a tight circle and you are going 7 or so those tires will squeal as they slip trying to hold on to that surface.

Also since the turning radius is different the tires are actually moving a different speeds. The outside tire has a wider arc while the inside tire has a smaller arc.

The way the steering linkages are designed, they can't have both wheels lined up perfectly with the different sized arcs they have to follow in a turn. So the inner tire always side-slips a little bit in a turn.

On hot pavement, the side-slipping tire will squeal as a result.

Rubber Duck said:
The way the steering linkages are designed, they can't have both wheels lined up perfectly with the different sized arcs they have to follow in a turn. So the inner tire always side-slips a little bit in a turn.

On hot pavement, the side-slipping tire will squeal as a result.

Man we're some real bright folk on here the way we got to the bottom of that so quick. Maybe we should tackle world hunger next.

Man we're some real bright folk on here the way we got to the bottom of that so quick. Maybe we should tackle world hunger next.

You take the hunger issue, cuz I'm busy working on solving the world's energy crisis.

Nobody else mentioned it so..... get your front end alignment and suspension checked. Anything that affects your toe-in or camber (eg loose tie-rod, ball joint) will have the effect of changing the contact point on the turning tire. In essence the momentum of the vehicle is pushing more sideways across the tread.

Rubber Duck said:
The only thing they have in common is that the powers that be will never let those 2 problems be solved.

They have more in common then you'd think but I will leave you to your efforts.

Also since the turning radius is different the tires are actually moving at different speeds. The outside tire has a wider arc while the inside tire has a smaller arc.

Especially if the differential has a limited slip unit in it. Both tires will be trying to turn the revolutions they need to to "keep up" but if the diff is trying to keep them both turning the same revs, one will be dragging, or one will be spinning.

Just what I thought...most likely had something to do with the alignment and how I like to drive around corners and come to stops. Low tire pressure? Wouldn't they squeel more if they're over-inflated?

Just what I thought...most likely had something to do with the alignment and how I like to drive around corners and come to stops. Low tire pressure? Wouldn't they squeel more if they're over-inflated?

When they're overinflated, less rubber touches the pavement because the tread surface is kind of rounded like a motorcycle tire (sort of).

Underinflated tires, where the rubber meets the pavement, will flatten out more, putting more rubber on the pavement. When the rubber is changing shape while in contact with the pavement, it'll be more likely to squeal.

If you car never did this before, and your tires look ok (not bald or low on air) and the temperatures where you're driving hasn't changed much since before it was squealing, then you oughta have the alignment checked.

If you car never did this before, and your tires look ok (not bald or low on air) and the temperatures where you're driving hasn't changed much since before it was squealing, then you oughta have the alignment checked.

I know...I know...
It's just that the last car I had spent more time in the repair shop than it did on the road. I really liked the car and was reluctant to get rid of it. I kind of want a break from the mechanic for a while. If I can go a little longer without fixing it, I'll do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread