Something I'm pondering about my hearing

SomethingElse

I have tinnitus. If you have it too, then you know it's only a problem when you think about it. And that it's not actually in your hearing. But in a part of the brain that connects your brain with the sensors from your ear drums. The wiring, sort of speak.

Ever so often, I'm awaken (usually just as I'm falling asleep) by a loud noise. Last night, it was knocking. I didn't fully awaken until after the knocking stopped. It was 4 or 5 quick knocks. At about the same rate as someone normally knocking on your door. Startled, I got up, looked out the window, checked the door. Checked out the drive way and the back door. And there was nothing or no one there.

It dawned on me this morning that my brother had came by yesterday, when I was in the backroom putting my bed together. He said he knocked, but I didn't hear him. So this morning he stopped by, I asked him to go to that same door, while I was in the back room, and knock as he did yesterday. I heard this knocking this time.

Ok, so here's the medical question to all of this. You know how when someone has a brain injury, or nerve damage somewhere, their body has a way of re-routing those signals to and from the brain. And it takes longer for the signals to get to or back from the brain. Head injury people are usually slower to react.
So I'm wondering if I actually heard the knocking at the door (yesterday), but the signal didn't reach my brain until that night, after I was relaxed and not thinking about anything else.

I have tinnitus. If you have it too, then you know it's only a problem when you think about it. And that it's not actually in your hearing. But in a part of the brain that connects your brain with the sensors from your ear drums. The wiring, sort of speak.

Ever so often, I'm awaken (usually just as I'm falling asleep) by a loud noise. Last night, it was knocking. I didn't fully awaken until after the knocking stopped. It was 4 or 5 quick knocks. At about the same rate as someone normally knocking on your door. Startled, I got up, looked out the window, checked the door. Checked out the drive way and the back door. And there was nothing or no one there.

It dawned on me this morning that my brother had came by yesterday, when I was in the backroom putting my bed together. He said he knocked, but I didn't hear him. So this morning he stopped by, I asked him to go to that same door, while I was in the back room, and knock as he did yesterday. I heard this knocking this time.

Ok, so here's the medical question to all of this. You know how when someone has a brain injury, or nerve damage somewhere, their body has a way of re-routing those signals to and from the brain. And it takes longer for the signals to get to or back from the brain. Head injury people are usually slower to react.
So I'm wondering if I actually heard the knocking at the door (yesterday), but the signal didn't reach my brain until that night, after I was relaxed and not thinking about anything else.
Hearing is something that you really want to pay attention to and take care of.
My Father was 40+ years at the airport and suffered hearing loss. I am not sure if he had tinnitus because he was in constant denial, oh I hear just fine he would say. He needed hearing aids and that was proved in a hearing test but as stubborn as he was he would never wear them.

Hearing loss has been linked to Dementia. My Father is now in a home with dementia also suffered a few strokes.

You might want to get that tinnitus looked at.

Hearing is something that you really want to pay attention to and take care of.
My Father was 40+ years at the airport and suffered hearing loss. I am not sure if he had tinnitus because he was in constant denial, oh I hear just fine he would say. He needed hearing aids and that was proved in a hearing test but as stubborn as he was he would never wear them.

Hearing loss has been linked to Dementia. My Father is now in a home with dementia also suffered a few strokes.

You might want to get that tinnitus looked at.

I went to a brain doctor a few years ago about those things. He said there was nothing wrong. Although he couldn't explain anything I can for. He did brain scans, so I ended up with some cool pics of my brain, on a disk.

I went to a brain doctor a few years ago about those things. He said there was nothing wrong. Although he couldn't explain anything I can for. He did brain scans, so I ended up with some cool pics of my brain, on a disk.
For your well-being I'd get it checked out..

No Offense don't even know from Adam really other than this forum..

Just saying as ya get "Older" often times it's better to just be "Honest" with the Doctor..

Don't forget even with insurance ya still paying em too ..

Why pay them then go in there stubborn like nothings wrong .

They can't exactly Help You if ya don't tell em..

And ya paying 4 it either way..

Worse could be a complete Mis-Diagnosis they treat something else ain't even wrong.

For many years I refused to wear "Glasses" until after a DOT Physical I flunked the Eye Test hadda go get Glasses and comeback do the "Entire" Physical over Again..

The second time around with my Glasses passed the Eye Screen..

They also marked with "Corrective Lenses" and Forwarded that to the State DMV who "Stamped" that on the back and sent me a New Card..

They're talking microseconds delay, not hours.

In my opinion the knocking you heard was part of a dream.
We've got MRI and CT images of Sarah's brain on three CDs but my stupid laptop won't read them.

There's also a video of the procedure in which they went in through her groin with a catheter, all the way up into her brain and removed the blood clot that caused her stroke. The video shows it as viewed live on an X-ray or ultrasound or something. That disc also won't work in my laptop. And then there is the transesophageal echocardiogram video that won't play either. That was when they were trying to diagnose the cause of the stroke. Blood clots typically develop in the legs (deep vein thrombosis) , but those clots go to the lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism. The only way a clot from the legs could reach the brain is if there is a hole or a valve defect in the heart. So they shoved an ultrasound device down her throat to get it up close behind the heart for a high resolution ultrasound inspection which did not reveal any problems. But we can't watch that video either.

The disc with her chest and foot x-rays works just fine though. :dunno:

CDs are obsolete. I wish they'd have just sent the shit on a USB thumb drive.

They're talking microseconds delay, not hours.

In my opinion the knocking you heard was part of a dream.

That's the obvious answer.
The delay? I was thinking the same thing too, when there was no one at the door or around the house anywhere.
The hours delay answer only came to mind later the next morning. I've had loud noises that were only in my mind before. And as I mentioned, they were distinct noises of something particular. Something very recognizable. But the difference this time was that there was about 5 knocks. Not just one crash, or bump or voice.
A knock, yeah. Probably so. It's just that 5 noises of knocking, on the day that I missed a knock at the door. Probably a coincidence.
We've got MRI and CT images of Sarah's brain on three CDs but my stupid laptop won't read them.

There's also a video of the procedure in which they went in through her groin with a catheter, all the way up into her brain and removed the blood clot that caused her stroke. The video shows it as viewed live on an X-ray or ultrasound or something. That disc also won't work in my laptop. And then there is the transesophageal echocardiogram video that won't play either. That was when they were trying to diagnose the cause of the stroke. Blood clots typically develop in the legs (deep vein thrombosis) , but those clots go to the lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism. The only way a clot from the legs could reach the brain is if there is a hole or a valve defect in the heart. So they shoved an ultrasound device down her throat to get it up close behind the heart for a high resolution ultrasound inspection which did not reveal any problems. But we can't watch that video either.

The disc with her chest and foot x-rays works just fine though. :dunno:

CDs are obsolete. I wish they'd have just sent the shit on a USB thumb drive.

I found some medical info on a disk yesterday too. I couldn't figure out how to open it. I do remember, many years ago, when I got this particular disk, having the same problem. But called the hospital (which has changed owners now at least twice), and they explained how to.

242516416_4372418372804009_5039330607782687637_n.jpg

That's the obvious answer.
The delay? I was thinking the same thing too, when there was no one at the door or around the house anywhere.
The hours delay answer only came to mind later the next morning. I've had loud noises that were only in my mind before. And as I mentioned, they were distinct noises of something particular. Something very recognizable. But the difference this time was that there was about 5 knocks. Not just one crash, or bump or voice.
A knock, yeah. Probably so. It's just that 5 noises of knocking, on the day that I missed a knock at the door. Probably a coincidence.

I found some medical info on a disk yesterday too. I couldn't figure out how to open it. I do remember, many years ago, when I got this particular disk, having the same problem. But called the hospital (which has changed owners now at least twice), and they explained how to.
The knock was UPS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread