some have started shutdown - Middle Georgia Truckers Strike

From the link.....

Over 85% of all manufactured freight in Georgia is moved by trucks. Everything from wood to toothpaste travels from manufacturers to your local stores thanks to the owners and operators of trucking companies like Greg Hobert, owner of Hobert Trucking. All of that may change, however, since Greg and his fellow owner/operators are now on strike.

Greg emphasizes, "I'm here because of these fuel prices, they're just outrageous, ridiculous...it's to the point where my fuel prices are more than my profit. That way, I'm working backwards. I mean, if I can't take home nothing, then what's the point of working?"

Cary Mullis, owner of CME Trucking, explains, "We used to run 5 trucks, we're only currently running three. We've had to lay 2 employees off. It's hurting everybody."

Melvin Colbert, an Owner/Operator, says, "We've got fuel prices at $4.00/gallon, and we're spending over a $1,000 a week in fuel just trying to make a living."

Approximately 30 men and women brought their trucks to Thomaston Monday for a strike they hope will spread nationally. They say 2-3 days without trucks will force U.S. politicians to take their cause seriously.

Cary adds, "It's hurting the whole economy. So, one way or another, we've either got to raise freight rates or drop fuel prices."

The protesters gathered Monday say they will continue the strike until either the government steps in, or gas prices decline on their own. They say that financially it doesn't matter whether they work or strike, because either way, they're still not bringing home a profit.

Greg sighs, "I mean, I don't want to, I've got a family to feed, but if I'm doing nothing, I'm making the same thing as if I'm working right now. Nothing. I leave home broke and come home broke."

Good catch Jammer. Edited the thread title and pasted this article here.

There was a group in GA a month or so back that tried this, I don't know how many there was at that time. They were all loggers though..I have it posted on my blog, but it didn't spark anything, unless these are some of the same guy's/gals. Because they also said they were not hauling anything else until the government did something.

Thanks bullwinkle.

now folks here is a group that had the guts to DO something, are you going to support your fellow truckers and effect the change we desperately need or are you just going to sit back and go broke, NOWS the time its a few days early but now is the time to stand firmly together, get working on some signs ,spread the news do all you can to help each other

This shutdown consists of about 30 people, but it is a start. To succeed, it depends on others joining in and supporting it as well. The key is you have to get enough people involved to make it successful.

This is a start though, and all we can do here from the forum is use this place to help get the word out.

I am a relatively new driver O/O working for a company out of Flint, Michigan, knowing almost nothing about trucking, and after 2 months of driving I already realize, that I can not make ends meet at these wages. I have been listening to and talking with other drivers on CB and I believe something must be done. I thought that maybe if everyone daily between the hours of 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. eastern time adjust for your location, would drive at absolute minimum speed we could start to get the message across that we are the most important industry in the US and probably the world. I would think that O/O, company drivers, and all drivers would be able to do this without great personal loss. I also realize this is less than what really needs to be done, but the difficulty of everyone turning there trucks off is a monumental task. Little by little we can make the slow down grow and you can't be ticketed for driving slow!! It might give everyone a chance to join in the struggles we have and understand that everyone relies on trucking. Being such a new driver, I really don't have the right to complain I haven't lost much yet, but I have talked to so many people who have lost their trucks, their homes, and their livelihoods that it is obvious that these problems are out of control. The people in charge of this country don't care and must be shown that they are not the important ones. The people that work hard and actually create and accomplish a task or a real product are the ones that create real wealth. I would appreciate any comments or feedback you have. I hope what I have said makes sense and isn't the ramblings of an idiot. Have a great day. If you get a chance, please let me know that you have received this.

I shut my truck down 1 month ago this wednesday. I simply couldn't see putting 56% of what the truck made back in the fuel tank. I am on my last leg

An April Fool Strike, Truckers Ain't on the Roads

Only You Trucker can send a strong message to the whole country, that you mean business. When it comes down paying $4.00 for a gallon of diesel is really being greedy, by every means. Even for a regular motorist like me, I am feeling the same pain as you do in my little Toyota pickup. Drivers should strike until, there is a "better offer" for posted on the gas signs. EXAMPLE: If the price is $4.00, don't go until the price is down to $2.49 or less a gallon, and stay firm with it. And if they bring it back up again, then strike again like you are going to be doing now. While the strike is on, keep an eye on the stock market too. If it drops more than 500 points, during the each days you are strlking, then we know that it is working. And whatever you do, don't pay any attention to the the "Sissy Media" that says that you efforts are not doing any good. Becuase if they do, just keep on striking until the message is clear. WHen you strike, park your tractors at the edge of you drive with an "On Strike" sign on it, ot be parked at rest areas, places that is visable from a hill to the public eye.
Maybe you might want the, Canadain truckers, to join you as well as the regular motorists who want to join. Trucker, You can Do It!!!

:headscratch2:Just a little imformation, from what I heard from a driver. In Modesto, CA for their main transit system [MAX], are getting a diesel for 75-cents a gallon, to fill up their Gillig busses. Now, don't that would irritate some drivers.

I am a relatively new driver O/O working for a company out of Flint, Michigan, knowing almost nothing about trucking, and after 2 months of driving I already realize, that I can not make ends meet at these wages. I have been listening to and talking with other drivers on CB and I believe something must be done. I thought that maybe if everyone daily between the hours of 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. eastern time adjust for your location, would drive at absolute minimum speed we could start to get the message across that we are the most important industry in the US and probably the world. I would think that O/O, company drivers, and all drivers would be able to do this without great personal loss. I also realize this is less than what really needs to be done, but the difficulty of everyone turning there trucks off is a monumental task. Little by little we can make the slow down grow and you can't be ticketed for driving slow!! It might give everyone a chance to join in the struggles we have and understand that everyone relies on trucking. Being such a new driver, I really don't have the right to complain I haven't lost much yet, but I have talked to so many people who have lost their trucks, their homes, and their livelihoods that it is obvious that these problems are out of control. The people in charge of this country don't care and must be shown that they are not the important ones. The people that work hard and actually create and accomplish a task or a real product are the ones that create real wealth. I would appreciate any comments or feedback you have. I hope what I have said makes sense and isn't the ramblings of an idiot. Have a great day. If you get a chance, please let me know that you have received this.
I see you have o/o at the beginning of your forum,don't tell me you're an owner operator with only 2 months exp? If so there's your first mistake.Heck I have 3 yrs otr exp and i'm still a company driver and probably will always be as long as im driving a semi.If you are an O/O what made u decide on that? Was is the freedom u get as an o/o verses a company driver,was it a recruiter that sold u one heck of a sales pitch?I hear too many bad stories from ex owner operators for me to even consider it.As far as the strike issue goes.I'm all for it but as long as we all can't unite as one,it'll never happen.Afew drivers can't make any difference but ALL TRK DRIVERS CAN SUCCEED.We the drivers are taken advantage if in the worse way possible.I use to wonder why the trucken industry has such a huge turnover rate.I thought it was because of the HOS but from my exp I think its the trucking companies.Compnies and so many ppl forget without trks america STOPS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread