Simplify, simplify

Interesting documentary.

I didn't watch the entire video only about 25 min (it depressed me because I'm not out there with them)- I'm torn. One thing I noticed, except for the young couple, they had no family. Personally I couldn't leave my kids even though the life style is tempting- and me being a loner would make it easier, except for my kids- they are what kept me going when things were tough. When I got divorced something in me changed and my kids became my life- everything I did I first considered what impact would it have on them- it's become ingrained- a necessity so to speak. And yes, the argument could be made it'd be a great example to set for them- but, I ain't that strong.

That said, I agree with the over all assessment about life and the acquisition of stuff- the young couple are fortunate to have discovered utilitarian ain't bad and at their age it's a great discovery- the older folks it doesn't surprise me that they came to love it- some from necessity some from desire and all from wisdom gained from life and introspection, which very few display- their previous lives played a large part in that- would they feel/think the same had they turned left one day instead of right?

I didn't watch the entire video only about 25 min (it depressed me because I'm not out there with them)- I'm torn. One thing I noticed, except for the young couple, they had no family. Personally I couldn't leave my kids even though the life style is tempting- and me being a loner would make it easier, except for my kids- they are what kept me going when things were tough. When I got divorced something in me changed and my kids became my life- everything I did I first considered what impact would it have on them- it's become ingrained- a necessity so to speak. And yes, the argument could be made it'd be a great example to set for them- but, I ain't that strong.

That said, I agree with the over all assessment about life and the acquisition of stuff- the young couple are fortunate to have discovered utilitarian ain't bad and at their age it's a great discovery- the older folks it doesn't surprise me that they came to love it- some from necessity some from desire and all from wisdom gained from life and introspection, which very few display- their previous lives played a large part in that- would they feel/think the same had they turned left one day instead of right?
The guy with the white beard said towards the end of the video (paraphrasing):
“People that live in houses are the new hermits. How many of you watching this know your neighbours well? Consider them friends? Yet I have dozens upon dozens of nomad friends that I connect with daily”

One of the people brought up them belonging to a new style tribe, that the tribes were making a revival.

It was an interesting juxtaposition that being insular within four walls was unhealthy and that their nomadic lifestyle actually let them connect with other people on deeper levels and more often

The guy with the white beard said towards the end of the video (paraphrasing):
“People that live in houses are the new hermits. How many of you watching this know your neighbours well? Consider them friends? Yet I have dozens upon dozens of nomad friends that I connect with daily”

One of the people brought up them belonging to a new style tribe, that the tribes were making a revival.

It was an interesting juxtaposition that being insular within four walls was unhealthy and that their nomadic lifestyle actually let them connect with other people on deeper levels and more often
I'd agree with that- with, of course, the exception to the rule, which always throws a monkey wrench in the finest tuned whatever- an anecdote: Both my sons, who live in nice houses, also make a point to get acquainted with their neighbors- not everyone is like the people pointed out- many are, yes, but not all- I remember one of them said he thought there were probably a million people who could live like they do- out of 300+ million that ain't many- I wish I wanted to bad enough to give up what I have- but, at 71 it's a little late and I've committed too much time and emotion and energy to get where I am now, at peace with myself and my world- now, IF I won a lottery, I'd sure enough get me a Travel Trailer- to follow the World of Outlaws, coast to coast and border to border from February in Florida to NC in November, and likely meet some like me who might just drift off never to be seen again-Merle Haggard said it best, I think, in White Line Fever- a sickness born down deep within my soul and another line from another song, "The Running Kind"- every front door found me hoping I would find the back door open, there just has to be an exit for the running kind- but the first song thing that came to my mind watching that video was the Arlo Guthrie movie starring David Carradine- which brings to mind, "The Grapes of Wrath" movie Henry Fonda- which both bing to mind the Arlo Guthrie song, "This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land", or Willie Nelsoss version of The City of New Orleans, which brings to mind Willie's "Living in The Promised Land"- those in that video are living a dream- very few will ever experience it and even fewer want to-

I make it point to NOT know my neighbors. I know who they are but, I don't knock on their door and they don't knock on mine.
I got the crackheads over the way that I am waiting on them to be evicted or shot, Whatever comes first, either way :dunno: Don't care!
About the only one I have any respect for is the roofer. He works for a living like I do and pays his rent with his own hard earned money like I do. **** the rest of these welfare cases. I pay your rent, have some respect and let hard working people sleep at night, so I can go to work and pay for your sorry asses!
End Rant!

I make it point to NOT know my neighbors. I know who they are but, I don't knock on their door and they don't knock on mine.
I got the crackheads over the way that I am waiting on them to be evicted or shot, Whatever comes first, either way :dunno: Don't care!
About the only one I have any respect for is the roofer. He works for a living like I do and pays his rent with his own hard earned money like I do. **** the rest of these welfare cases. I pay your rent, have some respect and let hard working people sleep at night, so I can go to work and pay for your sorry asses!
End Rant!
LOL- I did say my kids lived in nice houses = pretty nice neighborhoods- the youngest lives across the street from a Texas Ranger

LOL- I did say my kids lived in nice houses = pretty nice neighborhoods- the youngest lives across the street from a Texas Ranger
That may make an area safe, having a Texas Ranger.
I kinda wish the Hells Angels guy still lived here. It was pretty safe. :D

I have the kind of neighbours that called the police because I brought home a dump truck once or twice a month, and the kind of police department that couldn't decide if that was a problem or not.

I have the kind of neighbours that called the police because my wife fell asleep while the dog was playing a game of peek a boo with the back door at 2am and started barking outside.

The same police department that shined spotlights on my house and damn near kicked my door in like they had found El Chapo. They had my kids up bawling at 3 am with that ignorance over a DOG....and I had to work in the morning. It's a miracle I didn't go to jail after that.

That said......**** my neighbours and **** the police.

I have the kind of neighbours that called the police because I brought home a dump truck once or twice a month, and the kind of police department that couldn't decide if that was a problem or not.

I have the kind of neighbours that called the police because my wife fell asleep while the dog was playing a game of peek a boo with the back door at 2am and started barking outside.

The same police department that shined spotlights on my house and damn near kicked my door in like they had found El Chapo. They had my kids up bawling at 3 am with that ignorance over a DOG....and I had to work in the morning. It's a miracle I didn't go to jail after that.

I’d be buying the largest fireworks the USA has and every weekend setting them off facing the rat faced weasel of a neighbOUr who was making my life miserable

**** those kinds of people

Cops seem to have a proclivity to kick in doors and shoot dogs- it's what they do best.

Before my biological dad died, I remember him always talking about moving up into the mountains and getting out of the rat race. When I was young, I thought he was nuts. Why give up air condition, friends, Atari and indoor plumbing?

Now a days, I understand the "why."

One thing about this issue is one's health issue. The people in this video seem healthy. As much as this video hits home with me, there are things, like driving I can't do a lot of, without my knee kicking my arse. Plus some new stuff that's popped up in the last couple of years that keeps me confined and close to a familiar civilization.
Had I known about something like back in 1990, that it was doable, I would've done it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread