Should I change careers?

If "awesome" is equivalent to "long," I agree. But I'll take the Pacific Coast to mid-Montana for variety.
The pacific coast to mid-Montana can’t be beat for scenery.

I just really like the culture in Texas. Bull riding, two stepping , farming, Wranglers, even surfing down near San Padre.

As a new driver, fleets will try to take advantage of you for dirt cheap. Like minimum wages.

You "general freight" carriers will be the cheapest pay. As you get more specialized, pays go up. But even hazmat isn't always what people think.

Think outside the box for companies if you want to make money.

It's not all about a flashy truck either. I drive a century granted. But I'm rarely passed going uphill even at gross weight. I get a lot of grief from red ovals (peterbilt) and yellow paint drivers (cat engine) for it too.

Oh well, that's life.

Expect to spend a lot of time on the road. Lots of sitting and waiting. If you go to a company that pays on miles, really look at their pay structure closely. Most times they'll pay household goods (hhg) which is about 10-15% less than actual. My preference would be a percentage. You've got a job to do, go do it. That way you're not relying on miles.

And don't get trapped into the all miles game. That's not where it's at. Again. It's about the gross revenue and what percentage of it can you get.

The pacific coast to mid-Montana can’t be beat for scenery.

I just really like the culture in Texas. Bull riding, two stepping , farming, Wranglers, even surfing down near San Padre.
Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Texas or any other state or place. There's likely no ideal place, maybe Monterey CA, but who can live there? Regarding rodeos, I know there are some in the San Joaquin Valley. But they seem to be all over the place; check: California Rodeos List of Events in CA. I remember a lot of two-stepping in Napa CA years ago. But the old Dream Bowl has been closed for years. I'm sure two-steppin' isn't dead. It's just that I don't know that goofy state any more. And I wouldn't know what I told you if I hadn't been to the Dream Bowl in the 1960s or had a son and daughter in Fresno near Clovis. California farming is legendary. It looks like most of the Pacific Coast is covered in vineyards. I think the largest tractor show is at Tulare at the World Ag Expo. It seems that Oregon and Washington are getting into more high-value ag. So I'm guessing that the Pacific Coast to mid-Montana is pretty competitive with Texas. It's just that there are so many people there. As for culture, I get no general sense of it. It seems that CA, Oregon, and Washington coastal folks think liberal and the balance of those states are conservative and cohesive.

Colorado will always be home. I love the beauty of the rockies and 4 seasons. Sadly, it's changed. To much growth and all that goes with it... Gigantic cost of living and pollution. My family is generations deep here. Alot of us have moved to Wyoming to try and get back to basics.
Its only been very recent that I got to travel. That was done keeping my ex company in the passenger seat. Texas and its beauty surprised me. The people and culture had that honest - laidback feel Colorado used to have.

If "awesome" is equivalent to "long," I agree. But I'll take the Pacific Coast to mid-Montana for variety.

The old I get the less and less I like Texas summers. Summer is about the only season we have.
Summer for like 8 months, with no rain for months. Two weeks of fall. Rainy season. 1 week of winter (split up into a couple days here, couple of days there. And one day after the plants start coming up in the garden(just enough to screw up a week of plowing, fertilizing and planting)) Then the rainy season again.

I don't think that line had been drawn back then.

Now a days, me being from Texas, anything north of the red river is yankee country. he he he he
Actually it was. Colorado volunteers defeated Texans bent on seizing the Colorado gold fields at the battle of Glorietta Pass (NM) in 1862.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread