Should I change careers?

You are exactly who I want to talk to. A woman's perspective. Thanks for answering.
I think I'm going to do this. My kids are grown. Financially, I'm OK in my current job. But, I want different...
What about getting in a team situation? Is that smart for someone new?
When you get out of school, all you know is how to pass your test. The first company I went with had me team with another woman for 4 weeks. It's a good idea especially since winter is coming.

I heard there are companies that will pay for your school. Do you know any?

There are some, and they will require you to sign a contract to stay with them for 12-18 months. Most of the big fleets have something like this, some of the smaller ones will as well.

Dry van? Reefer? Flatbed? What field interests you?

There are some, and they will require you to sign a contract to stay with them for 12-18 months. Most of the big fleets have something like this, some of the smaller ones will as well.

Dry van? Reefer? Flatbed? What field interests you?
Not interested in refer. Maybe, flatbed.

BTW you couldn't pay me enough to team. The space in a truck is already at a premium with one person in there. And then you've got TWO people missing showers and BO and all that stank. Heck some people stank immediately after showering. Like BO is their eww dah toilet.

I mean I dunno about you but if someone gets too close to me, I'm backing up a foot or two or seven. Now imagine that you CAN'T. That's teaming.

I heard there are companies that will pay for your school. Do you know any?
I started with a company called Millis Transfer. I'm not gonna say they were the best company out here but they treated me pretty well. School is paid for if you stay with them for 12 months. They have a terminal/school in Texas. Burleson, just a little south of DFW. Like any other company, they have their shortcomings. You might be able to do better, you could definitely do worse. In the end, you'll most likely not stay with your first company anyhow. I've been doing this for a little over 3 years and I'm preparing to go to my 3rd company. That one is where I'm going to grow my roots, awesome place. Everything in life is subjective. What some folks like, others may not. For me, changing to this career was the best decision I ever made. My opinion may change if the bill for mandatory 65mph passes lol. Most folks that get the trucking bug never go back to their former life. You'll find your path once you get going 😁

Last edited:
I'm interested in driving in Texas and gulf.

Might be possible getting started. Lots of companies run that region, just a matter of finding one that will provide training.

Worst case scenario, you have to drive all 48 states your first 6 months to a year.

Check Crete. I know they used to have a division that ran the area you are interested in.

Hi and welcome. I have two degrees and get asked all the time why I would do "this" as a job. I simply reply, I've wanted to do it for a very long time, love it and wouldn't do anything else. They are usually very surprised. :giggle:
I've never felt unsafe in my truck. You will see guys pleasuring themselves as you pass. Sometimes they like to proudly show it to you. When they see you pull into the parking lot, you will immediately have neighbors on both sides even if the lot is empty. Makes me laugh. When you've had enough of that, you'll stop looking no matter what they do to get your attention. :foreheadslap:
Try to stay off the CB. I've had guys follow me into rest areas, etc., just to see who the voice is and yes they will come right up to your truck. My advice is, wear a wedding ring. He leaves without hurt feelings and you haven't made an enemy. :banana:
I'm out usually 2-4 weeks only because I choose to be. You will miss showers, plan your stops carefully and carry something for bathroom emergencies, yes they will happen. :whistling:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I have some really hilarious stories and you will too. :cheers:
We like stories....

I started with a company called Millis Transfer. I'm not gonna say they were the best company out here but they treated me pretty well. School is paid for if you stay with them for 12 months. They have a terminal/school in Texas. Burleson, just a little south of DFW. Like any other company, they have their shortcomings. You might be able to do better, you could definitely do worse. In the end, you'll most likely not stay with your first company anyhow. I've been doing this for a little over 3 years and I'm preparing to go to my 3rd company. That one is where I'm going to grow my roots, awesome place. Everything in life is subjective. What some folks like, others may not. For me, changing to this career was the best decision I ever made. My opinion may change if the bill for mandatory 65mph passes lol. Most folks that get the trucking bug never go back to their former life. You'll find your path once you get going 😁
Thanks. I le in Colorado but am considering a move. Ma
Ok. Here's the important question... What kind of money can I expect to make?

Ok. Here's the important question... What kind of money can I expect to make?
You'll be on some level of training wages while driving as a student, or inexperienced CDL holder, that will vary from carrier to carrier. Your first full year as a qualified driver can certainly be in the neighborhood of $50k gross. Walmart advertises $80k+ for experienced drivers, for example.

Another training carrier that foots the training costs for a year of employment is Prime. Their main terminal is in Springfield MO, but they also have a terminal in Pittston PA that they do training out of. They have flatbed, tanker and reefer divisions to choose from.

You'll be on some level of training wages while driving as a student, or inexperienced CDL holder, that will vary from carrier to carrier. Your first full year as a qualified driver can certainly be in the neighborhood of $50k gross. Walmart advertises $80k+ for experienced drivers, for example.

Another training carrier that foots the training costs for a year of employment is Prime. Their main terminal is in Springfield MO, but they also have a terminal in Pittston PA that they do training out of. They have flatbed, tanker and reefer divisions to choose from.
I've seen their trucks. How would it work if I lived in Colorado? Would i have to move to Springfield?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread