Should I change careers?

IrishKathleen

I'm thinking about getting my CDL.

I have questions before I change careers. What expectations should I have? Good companies? Do I drive by myself? Should I REALLY do this at 42?

Last edited by a moderator:
Age doesn't matter, some don't start until they have reached retirement age.

Expectations are: you need to be prepared for a shock to your life, because life out here isn't what you would call normal. You will miss a shower on occasion, there is no such thing as regular working hours, and the public hates you. Other than that, it's a great job!

Rainbows and kittens, huh?
Exactly!

Seriously, it's not bad. Just comes down to whether you can accept the lifestyle that comes with it. Look in the sleeper of a truck, and imagine living in it.

Imagine it being night time, 20 degrees, and snowing. you wake up and need to go to the bathroom. Gonna have to get dressed and walk through that just to accomplish that task. You get used to it, but it's definitely a shock at first.

Rainbows and kittens, huh?
I think it’s rainbows and unicorns. I love this job and I love the life. But the biggest thing for people who haven’t done it or didn’t grow up around it is, it’s a complete and total life style change from a day job.

Being female you will have gross nasty guys say raunchy shit to you. And don’t look in trucks and cars when they pass. I used to make this mistake and have seen more than a few doing inappropriate things to themselves. Ask @SueAnn or @Injun i am sure they can give you a better female perspective.

Other than that, you get to see the beautiful land scape; and you wake up 3 ft from your office. How long you’re gone depends on who you work for. I say stay away from megas, especially CR England and CRST. Smaller companies will typically get you home more and most flatbedders are home weekly. You can also find regional stuff that will have ya home for the night every couple days and most weekends. Just look for what fits you.

I think it’s rainbows and unicorns. I love this job and I love the life. But the biggest thing for people who haven’t done it or didn’t grow up around it is, it’s a complete and total life style change from a day job.

Being female you will have gross nasty guys say raunchy **** to you. And don’t look in trucks and cars when they pass. I used to make this mistake and have seen more than a few doing inappropriate things to themselves. Ask @SueAnn or @Injun i am sure they can give you a better female perspective.

Other than that, you get to see the beautiful land scape; and you wake up 3 ft from your office. How long you’re gone depends on who you work for. I say stay away from megas, especially CR England and CRST. Smaller companies will typically get you home more and most flatbedders are home weekly. You can also find regional stuff that will have ya home for the night every couple days and most weekends. Just look for what fits you.
I have an ex that

How long have you been driving?
Hi and welcome. I have two degrees and get asked all the time why I would do "this" as a job. I simply reply, I've wanted to do it for a very long time, love it and wouldn't do anything else. They are usually very surprised. :giggle:
I've never felt unsafe in my truck. You will see guys pleasuring themselves as you pass. Sometimes they like to proudly show it to you. When they see you pull into the parking lot, you will immediately have neighbors on both sides even if the lot is empty. Makes me laugh. When you've had enough of that, you'll stop looking no matter what they do to get your attention. :foreheadslap:
Try to stay off the CB. I've had guys follow me into rest areas, etc., just to see who the voice is and yes they will come right up to your truck. My advice is, wear a wedding ring. He leaves without hurt feelings and you haven't made an enemy. :banana:
I'm out usually 2-4 weeks only because I choose to be. You will miss showers, plan your stops carefully and carry something for bathroom emergencies, yes they will happen. :whistling:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I have some really hilarious stories and you will too. :cheers:

You are exactly who I want to talk to. A woman's perspective. Thanks for answering.
I think I'm going to do this. My kids are grown. Financially, I'm OK in my current job. But, I want different...
What about getting in a team situation? Is that smart for someone new?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread