Shocks

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Just a curiosity, friend of mine has an older Freightliner and over the weekend I noticed he had a shock that was seeping some oil from the seal that had ran down the side and started to collect dirt. My bringing this to his attention sparked a debate. Is that an out of service violation or just a fix it ticket?

Just a curiosity, friend of mine has an older Freightliner and over the weekend I noticed he had a shock that was seeping some oil from the seal that had ran down the side and started to collect dirt. My bringing this to his attention sparked a debate. Is that an out of service violation or just a fix it ticket?
I am not right up on the regs, but I had the assembly that holds the shock on that had completely snapped off and the shock was just dangling and to my surprise it was not an OOS.

I've never been bothered at all about shocks. Not sure if there is any sort of violation or warning for them to be honest.

Here is a pic of the shock that was not an OOS
20170106_121446-jpg.38112

Now @rigjockey that's a busted shock. I can't believe that wasn't an OOS. So I said it would likely at worst be a fix it ticket. He was freaking out saying he couldn't move the truck cuz it would get him OOS ect. Well. Glad to see y'all side with me.

Now @rigjockey that's a busted shock. I can't believe that wasn't an OOS. So I said it would likely at worst be a fix it ticket. He was freaking out saying he couldn't move the truck cuz it would get him OOS ect. Well. Glad to see y'all side with me.

You can break a spring and not be OOS, unless it's the primary spring. Until I found that out during an inspection, I would have assumed that would put a trailer OOS.

Having that CVSA OOS manual is rather interesting to pull out and reference when they are naming things off.

Had one inspector ask me why I had that.....

Told him it was partly what I use to prioritize my maintenance program.

If it's in the manual, it's likely to get fixed immediately when found. If not, then I know what I can Jimmy to get me home or to schedule and order parts for and not get raked over the coals on the road.

Having that CVSA OOS manual is rather interesting to pull out and reference when they are naming things off.

Had one inspector ask me why I had that.....

Told him it was partly what I use to prioritize my maintenance program.

Knowledge is power.

I guess that is where the schedule 1 comes in handy.
In Ontario drivers are required to have a schedule 1 in the truck.
A schedule 1 is a list of things to be checked during pretrip and has a number for the defect. It also has a very brief description and tells you whether or not it is an OOS.
20170607_065533.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread