Series 60 14L DDEC V oil bypass filter install

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Been researching installation of a bypass oil filter.

Looked at several different systems; amsoil, ops, spinner and NTZ to name a few. Amsoil was the cheapest. About $350 for a kit.

I called my local parts guy up. This is what he found for me.

Filter is a 5 micron bypass filter. Replacement filters are $20. Base is available for $40ish online. Paid the same local.

Now to just mount it up and make oil lines. I'll add more as I progress.

IMG_20170323_211015.jpg

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I oil sample mid oil change since I bought the truck in 2012.

I rarely idle as well. Thanks to the apu.

This along with a 5-axle alignment is my project next week.

Mike

Staff member
I like having bypass filtration. I went with the OPS because that is what Fitzgerald offered when I was ordering the truck. Looking back, that is the one thing that annoys me about Fitzgerald because they and OPS seem to be at odds over the whole filtration process. They basically told me I still needed to do oil changes at 15k intervals because if any failures could be pointed to oil failure, warranty would be voided.

so, I used the smallest OPS filter, and do my oil changes at 20K.

My main purpose, though, was to see how long this engine would last.

gearjammer

jammer
mine was a harvard and I didn't even think about an oli change for at least 50,000 miles as long as the oil samples came back ok even took it out to over 70,000 once headed for 100.000 the oil samples were fine but I couldn't' get it out of my head that I should change the oil anyhow

Mike

Staff member
mine was a harvard and I didn't even think about an oli change for at least 50,000 miles as long as the oil samples came back ok even took it out to over 70,000 once headed for 100.000 the oil samples were fine but I couldn't' get it out of my head that I should change the oil anyhow
Guys with these systems have taken them well over 300K, and taken trucks to very high mileage in the process.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
hmmmm,

While looking for places to plumb this in.

Maybe it will only be as simple as just using a different filter.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
I like having bypass filtration. I went with the OPS because that is what Fitzgerald offered when I was ordering the truck. Looking back, that is the one thing that annoys me about Fitzgerald because they and OPS seem to be at odds over the whole filtration process. They basically told me I still needed to do oil changes at 15k intervals because if any failures could be pointed to oil failure, warranty would be voided.

so, I used the smallest OPS filter, and do my oil changes at 20K.

My main purpose, though, was to see how long this engine would last.
If you want to see how long an engine will last, rig up a pre-oiler. It will all but eliminate bearing wear.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
And it's in.

Took a bit more time than I cared for finding the correct parts. All said and done, installed it for about 1/3 the price of an amsoil system. ($370). Plus I can use just about any brand bypass filter. The BMK30 from amsoil isn't the same threads. Near as I can find, it uses a thread more common for fuel filters.

This is a filter rated for 5 micron absolute.

IMG_20170401_010946.jpg

The hose fittings are not in this picture. But the minimum that's needed is shown here. 8 feet of 3/8" aeroquip hose.

I already had a oil sample valve so added a tee and a couple bushings to the setup for it. All of these parts are readily available at the local truck shop.

IMG_20170401_012248.jpg

I packaged up a second kit of these for @JunkYardDog5958 to install on his new 12.7 series 60. The kit is trim to length on hoses.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Had the mounting plate powder coated.

3/8" thick. Thing is rock solid
IMG_20170401_021246.jpg

IMG_20170401_021021.jpg

Just some of the many colors

IMG_20170401_021046.jpg

Copperhead

All the various bypass filter units do a pretty good job. The marketing folks for each one will push that theirs is the best, but the differences in actual performance are pretty close. I opted for the FS2500 for my last truck and my current one. It was simple plug and play. I little pricier than some others, but time is money to me also and I have no interest in something turning into a Popular Mechanics project and have to to track down additional stuff for the install. Once I opened the box, I had it all installed in about an hour, and that was with taking a break in the middle of the install process. All hoses are steel braided with stainless fittings and were put together and matched up perfectly to my truck and engine combinations, everything needed for the installs included. They say change the filter at 10K miles, but I change them when I do the normal oil change. I change oil at around 22K miles, which is 50% longer than the OEM recommended of 15K miles on my pre-EGR 12.7 Detroit 60.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I did an OPS... it cooks the moisture out of the oil as well as filtration of solid contaminants.

If you do full service oil analysis, you can do extended drains.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I change oil at around 22K miles, which is 50% longer than the OEM recommended of 15K miles on my pre-EGR 12.7 Detroit 60.

Detroit says 30,000 now.
Series 60 Engine Support | Demand Detroit

I went off on my little "tangent" of "making" a kit for my truck because I have 3 other guys who run Series 60 that want the same thing.

I've also got one guy that wants to see my next oil sample sheet. he has a fleet of 5 trucks and wants one for each one.

All said right now, I've got 12 kits sold. All for keeping a BOM list of the parts I used and getting basically what you said exactly is what you wanted. A plug-n-play kit.

And for a C-spot LESS than the next cheaper kit I found.

Was that where I was planning on going with this when I started. Not really.

I walked into my favorite Petercar dealer because I knew he had the parts I needed for making two hoses. I had to stop anyway because I was looking for them to install a new power divider and needed a quote on the work.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I did an OPS... it cooks the moisture out of the oil as well as filtration of solid contaminants.

If you do full service oil analysis, you can do extended drains.
I have 5 years worth of sample results on my engine. Last fall, the Caterpiller shop I was using changed all of their equipment and moved their lab. As a result, the response time on their testing has suffered drastically.

So I found these guys. Off the recommendation of the local Detroit shop.
Home | Fluid Life

On 3/3, I did an oil change and added Hotshots Stiction eliminator. After 7800 miles, I did an oil sample on it and sent it in. That's in another thread I'll be starting.

At the end of April when I get home from the road again, I'll do another oil sample and see what it's done for me after 7-8,000 miles with the bypass filter on too.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Cat S.O.S was having a 3 day turn around.

My last sample I mailed on Friday to Fluid Life, I had the results on Tuesday morning in my email.