Seems to be a problem every where

AK7

'We're talking about people's lives'

I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more.

So boys and girls,let's start checking our nuts more often.

Interesting take on this.
This was written in a local paper.

Dear Editor,
To this very day I have never seen a wheel loosened by the rotation of a wheel nut. Good maintenance practices, calibrated torque wrenches, scheduled re-torque procedures, scheduled maintenance, rotation of tire and wheel assemblies, and diligence by opera- tors are all factors in being able to achieve that milestone.
This is not to downplay the efforts and duties of technicians under the gun right now. They have a formidable task and huge responsibility. I offer nothing but praise for the efforts and responsibility taken on by each and every technician – and also Today’s Trucking, for being there as a bit of a guiding light.
As a seasoned technician that outgrew the industry, I would like to offer up my opinion. The wheel-offs have been an ongoing issue since we had wheel-ons.
Steel fasteners (used to clamp hub pilot aluminum wheels) are an issue. The steel fastener is able to stretch a bit. Two aluminum rims – at high braking temperatures – cannot overstretch the stud. However, when the rim and brake assembly cools down, the rims contract more than the studs. After several thermal cycles, the clamping force of the wheel studs is diminished and eventually we reach the point where you are with rims running loose, off-centre, and wearing on hub pads.

High braking temperatures...like when some idiot smokes 'em going down the Grapevine? Easily avoided: Slow the **** down descending hills and let the jakes do the work.

Okay, they're looking at lug nuts. They're not looking at wheel bearing nuts. Some of y'all might remember last year, I had to get a new spindle on my front drive axle because I spun a bearing. I think I posted pictures of the damage and the bearing nut responsible for it. The bearing nuts in the Rockwell rears (don't know when they started using these) are a sort of ratcheting system that has little tits that are supposed to poke out through a locking sleeve. The idea is it's supposed to be self-contained and the Jesus-nut socket fit over the whole thing, pushing the little tits in and unlocking the nut, making it a single-step process.

I'd been hearing bearing noise again a few weeks ago, so I had the guys check wheel play at my last service. The axle end with the replacement spindle (and StemCo bearing nut) was fine. All three of the other drive axle ends had beariing play. All. Three. Of. Them.

Luckily, it was caught before any bearings were spun, but here I am, with new wheel bearings again, on the three loose ends. Only this time, they all have StemCo nuts.

I'm curious hw many of these wheel separations are related to this ****-poor choice of retainer nut.

I've never fried my brakes due to heavy traffic. I warmed them up once going into the ag inspection station at the north end of I-5 entering California and smoked them once on US6 in Utah going south into Price when rookie me allowed a coal bucket riding my DOT bumper intimidate me when I was running at gross with a load of liquid totes.

But in traffic, I tend to leave space enough in front of me that I'm not constantly standing on the brake pedal. I don't GAF who "crowds" in front of me. Being on someone's ass won't get me there any faster.

the Jesus-nut socket
Do they sell those at Home Depot? o_O

I've never fried my brakes due to heavy traffic. .
I'm not talking about smoking the brakes or jumping on the binders every time some numbnuts cuts you off.

I'm just talking about normal city driving, like a day cab dock bumper on his daily routine. Normal braking for red lights, slowing down to turn corners frequently, etc.

Just normal use with no long periods of going fast to cool them.

Not smoking them either, just simply getting them hot.

Do they sell those at Home Depot? o_O

I'm not talking about smoking the brakes or jumping on the binders every time some numbnuts cuts you off.

I'm just talking about normal city driving, like a day cab dock bumper on his daily routine. Normal braking for red lights, slowing down to turn corners frequently, etc.

Just normal use with no long periods of going fast to cool them.

Not smoking them either, just simply getting them hot.
I wouldn't think normal use like that would stretch the studs. You'd think that might've been figured out by now. Aluminum wheels have been in use for what...30 years now?

I wouldn't think normal use like that would stretch the studs. You'd think that might've been figured out by now. Aluminum wheels have been in use for what...30 years now?
Meh :dunno:

...and if it's only been recently that they're noticing an uptick in wheel separations, I don't think these stupid bearing retainer nuts have been in use nearly as long as aluminum wheels. If they run loose (mine were barely hand tight when the mechanic removed them) wouldn't the bearing play cause enough percussion on the studs to rattle the lugnuts loose?

Could be. We have had a problem with some of the Hyundai trailers and loose hub nuts. Not sure what the deal is but these have a plastic retainer that holds them once torqued properly.

All these are coming out of Mexico so I suspect it may be like Peterbuilts rear end problem where they were not tightening the pinion nut properly and it was shredding rear ends. Maybe these are just not coming across right?

To be clear we have not had seperations, just odd tire wear and the hubs seem to be the culprit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread