See stupid steering wheel holder? Snap a pic and post it!

This old iron drawbridge spends about ten times as much time closed for repairs than it spends operational. Most people in the Joliet area simply disregard Brandon Rd as an option for getting across the canal and the Des Plaines River because it's seemingly always closed.

There's also a 12'1" railroad viaduct immediately south of the bridge and every idiot steering wheel holder coming in and out of Elwood is drawn to it like flies on shit.

It's open right now. I went over it last night on the motorcycle.

But here's some Facebook screenshots from locals yesterday.

Screenshot_20210829-074039_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20210829-074052_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20210829-074015_DuckDuckGo.jpg

That's right it was only open for 2 hours and some jackass hit it with a bobtail.

This old iron drawbridge spends about ten times as much time closed for repairs than it spends operational. Most people in the Joliet area simply disregard Brandon Rd as an option for getting across the canal and the Des Plaines River because it's seemingly always closed.

There's also a 12'1" railroad viaduct immediately south of the bridge and every idiot steering wheel holder coming in and out of Elwood is drawn to it like flies on shit.

It's open right now. I went over it last night on the motorcycle.

But here's some Facebook screenshots from locals yesterday.

View attachment 85148

View attachment 85149

View attachment 85147

That's right it was only open for 2 hours and some jackass hit it with a bobtail.
Lucky for him it's a midroof.

Just a quick scan of that area I have a hard time figuring why anyone would think that's a good way to get anywhere with a truck.
Because I-80 is always at a standstill, 53 is always backed up just south of 80, and the local Karens Association has lobbied for "no trucks" signs freakin' everywhere in the Elwood/Rockdale area south of I-80.

On the roads trucks are still allowed on, the Karens whine at their town hall meetings because they're always getting in their way. They think trucks drive those roads simply for fun. Not a blues clue that it's because they can't ****ing FLY to get in and out of the huge rail terminal and warehouses that bring jobs and tax revenue to their community. They demand the police harass them because they think it'll make them go away and find some other area to drive around on for absolutely no reason.

So the cops sit & watch the trucks and if a truck exceeds the speed limit by 1 mph they get pulled over.

So now, the can haulers go 10 mph below the speed limit, pissing off the Karens even more.

Brandon Rd actually has "truck route" signs on it, then suddenly when you're beyond the point where you can turn around or change your route, there's signs saying 8 tons and then the 12'1" clearance signs. It's like they specifically designed it to be a trap.

Last edited:
Because I-80 is always at a standstill, 53 is always backed up just south of 80, and the local Karens Association has lobbied for "no trucks" signs freakin' everywhere in the Elwood/Rockdale area south of I-80.

On the roads trucks are still allowed on, the Karens whine at their town hall meetings because they're always getting in their way. They think trucks drive those roads simply for fun. Not a blues clue that it's because they can't ****ing FLY to get in and out of the huge rail terminal and warehouses that bring jobs and tax revenue to their community. They demand the police harass them because they think it'll make them go away and find some other area to drive around on for absolutely no reason.

So the cops sit & watch the trucks and if a truck exceeds the speed limit by 1 mph they get pulled over.

So now, the can haulers go 10 mph below the speed limit, pissing off the Karens even more.

Brandon Rd actually has "truck route" signs on it, then suddenly when you're beyond the point where you can turn around or change your route, there's signs saying 8 tons and then the 12'1" clearance signs. It's like they specifically designed it to be a trap.
I've never had a reason to get off the highway but just looking around playing with Google. At the south end of Brandon where I dropped a pin is a warning about the 12'1". Turning south onto it from US 6 is a no truck sign. A block or two north of US6 is Meadow Ave through a residential neighborhood. I do remember from driving through hundreds of times there are signs on I 80 labelling that as having an 8 ton limit for whatever reason.

I know 80 is perpetually ****ed. I'll take your word on the state routes but I still don't see their reasoning unless I'm missing something.

Screenshot_20210829-123546.png

I've never had a reason to get off the highway but just looking around playing with Google. At the south end of Brandon where I dropped a pin is a warning about the 12'1". Turning south onto it from US 6 is a no truck sign. A block or two north of US6 is Meadow Ave through a residential neighborhood. I do remember from driving through hundreds of times there are signs on I 80 labelling that as having an 8 ton limit for whatever reason.

I know 80 is perpetually ****ed. I'll take your word on the state routes but I still don't see their reasoning unless I'm missing something.

View attachment 85154
I believe you can get off 80E and take Meadow to Brandon. Then you can go south on Brandon to Rt 6. There is a sign saying "truck route"

Screenshot_20210829-115612_Maps.jpg

But when you get to Rt 6, you can look behind you and see the "no trucks" signs. So you can go south but not north. 🙄

Going west on Laraway, the 12'1" sign is missing and you aren't likely to see the one on Brandon Road until after you've turned onto it.

Screenshot_20210829-120319_Maps.jpg

With that, and the stereotypical white Volvo track suit wearing "no speaky eengliss" can haulers we see around here, it's not hard to see why trucks hit that 12'1" viaduct all the time.

I believe you can get off 80E and take Meadow to Brandon. Then you can go south on Brandon to Rt 6. There is a sign saying "truck route"

View attachment 85155

But when you get to Rt 6, you can look behind you and see the "no trucks" signs. So you can go south but not north. 🙄

Going west on Laraway, the 12'1" sign is missing and you aren't likely to see the one on Brandon Road until after you've turned onto it.

View attachment 85156

With that, and the stereotypical white Volvo track suit wearing "no speaky eengliss" can haulers we see around here, it's not hard to see why trucks hit that 12'1" viaduct all the time.
Maybe when it gets hit really bad they'll get wise and dig the street down afew feet like other places have somehow Figured Out

Maybe when it gets hit really bad they'll get wise and dig the street down afew feet like other places have somehow Figured Out
The bridge was up when I went through this morning. Some black guy in the car in front of me got out & walked up there so I did too. It was a barge going through. Not broken again.

But he told me they're building some other bridge somewhere nearby, and when it's done they're going to ban trucks on Brandon Rd. Trucks are currently allowed on it if they can fit under the 12'1".

20210829_095842.jpg 20210829_100232.jpg

One being pulled outta the ditch on the westbound side of 40 past Russellville Arkansas but I wasn't fast enough with camera....😐

This happened right in front of me. I actually saw the SUV rollover.
It was pretty bad but some quick thinking guy pulled one person out of the tailgate and the other rear passenger out of the side door. Both the driver and front passenger got out on their own.

Attachments

• 20210830_151337.jpg
    20210830_151337.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 5
This happened right in front of me. I actually saw the SUV rollover.
It was pretty bad but some quick thinking guy pulled one person out of the tailgate and the other rear passenger out of the side door. Both the driver and front passenger got out on their own.
SUVs get a Bad Rap for "Rollovers" I mean Ford and even Toyata 4-Runner others too SUED many Times Over .

Half the "Problem" is 4-Wheel Drive..

Had they bought a Rear-Wheel Drive 4x2 or that was All they Could "Afford" they've Learned Quick..

But even 4 -Wheel drive and a "Dumbass" make ya WORSE

Add to that the High Profile and Such..

Worse yet people Today got "Computerized" Cars and Trucks they think that means set the "Cruise Control" and put your feet on the dash and hold that IPhone up in Wide View so any State Trooper or even a Local PD can see ya "Texting" or Posting Instagram

SUVs get a Bad Rap for "Rollovers" I mean Ford and even Toyata 4-Runner others too SUED many Times Over .

Had they bought a Rear-Wheel Drive 4x2 or that was All they Could "Afford" they've Learned Quick..

Worse yet people Today got "Computerized" Cars and Trucks they think that means set the "Cruise Control" and put your feet on the dash and hold that IPhone up in Wide View so any State Trooper or even a Local PD can see ya "Texting" or Posting Instagram
high center of gravity, is just one cause of SUV roll overs.

short wheel base is another, especially when going fast around corners, even some curves.

Be that as it may, It also helps when others don't plow into you making a left while you are traveling straight through an intersection with the right of way on a solid green light as was the case for the rolled over black SUV.

Be that as it may, It also helps when others don't plow into you making a left while you are traveling straight through an intersection with the right of way on a solid green light as was the case for the rolled over black SUV.
Ya can't "control" others around you ..

If almost 20 years of trucking has gave me "anything" besides a Job and Paycheck..

Always "Watching" my Mirrors and looking around me almost "instinctively" even at home I buy "Bugeyes" to stick to Car Mirrors..

Just Other People Are "STUPID" think getting somewhere is the "Fast & Furious"..

Trucking School also taught me about always Leave Space around me if "Possible" or as our Instructor said in a Big Truck ya need an "Out"..

Not always possible and in Big Cities ya just gonna have to Go With The Flow..

Nonetheless what "Pisses" Me Of Most @Rigjockey is I "always" remembered that try to Leave That Space..

Doesn't matter Somebody Else sees OPEN SPACE and Crowds me IN even Fellow Truck Drivers

Last edited:
Ya can't "control" others around you ..

If almost 20 years of trucking has gave me besides a Job and Paycheck..

Always "Watching" my Mirrors and looking around me almost "instinctively" even at home I buy "Bugeyes" to stick to Car Mirrors..

Just Other People Are "STUPID" think getting somewhere is the "Fast & Furious"..

Trucking School also taught me about always Leave Space around me if "Possible" or as our Instructor said in a Big Truck ya need an "Out"..

Not always possible and in Big Cities ya just gonna have to Go With The Flow..

Nonetheless what "Pisses" Me Of Most @Rigjockey is I "always" remembered that try to Leave That Space..

Doesn't matter Somebody Else sees OPEN SPACE and Crowds me IN even Fellow Truck Drivers
I'm gonna be "Dead" HONEST here too it "Enrages" Me from another "Driver"..

Generally I'm "Docile" will back of in that I don't like Riding SIDES next 5 miles..

When I get Pissed Off at your Dumbass is I'll let it Off and ya just going "Barely" 1/4 mph faster ya probably "heavier" too so next HILL gonna Bog Ya Down too..

But that don't STOP YOU Mr Billy Big Rigger does It..

Vise Versa... I'll stay to the Floor Left and Run ya up to "Prime" ..

Ya know why I can run ya up to Prime or Swift in a 1/2 mph Slower Truck..

Because I'm actually Watching the Road and "EyeBalling" OPPORTUNITY..

Most of YOU are just Running 'Governor" and worried about I'm Late..

Welp at the Truckstop across 2 intersections to the Freeway Entrance Ramp the SAME DRIVER had Zero Qualms about "Idling" 3mph as to not Set the "Drive-Line" on Elogs..

All of a Sudden on the BIG ROAD that Mr 65mph all of a SUDDEN got into a BIG HURRY

The bridge was up when I went through this morning. Some black guy in the car in front of me got out & walked up there so I did too. It was a barge going through. Not broken again.

But he told me they're building some other bridge somewhere nearby, and when it's done they're going to ban trucks on Brandon Rd. Trucks are currently allowed on it if they can fit under the 12'1".

View attachment 85157 View attachment 85158
Back at the Grain Elevators last time I worked there Delong Soybeans moved from Channahon just off 55/80..

Their Brand New Facilities was either Millburn or Joliet though Official Address was Joliet..

Old Soybean place Channahon was like Next Exit off 55 past I-80..

Last time I ran for them they moved built a Brand New Facilities. Ya hadda take 55 down almost Wilmington and Arsenal Road which was like a 10 miles each way "Back-Track"..

The "newer" Modern Facilities didn't Speed Up the Dumping rather it "Attracted" TWICE as many Timpte Hoppers to a line that streches to HOME DEPOTs "DC"..

Anyways @Duck back then of I-80 in Joliet I'd exit like 52 south and Laraway West..

Problem always was "Grade" Rail Crossings..

About a 50/50 chance you'd be sitting in a Line waiting for 200 car Container Train moving 15 mph .

After afew of those trains just Took 55 got off at ARSENAL..

If not for "Trains" that Actually cut 15/20 miles off my trip

Back at the Grain Elevators last time I worked there Delong Soybeans moved from Channahon just off 55/80..

Their Brand New Facilities was either Millburn or Joliet though Official Address was Joliet..

Old Soybean place Channahon was like Next Exit off 55 past I-80..

Last time I ran for them they moved built a Brand New Facilities. Ya hadda take 55 down almost Wilmington and Arsenal Road which was like a 10 miles each way "Back-Track"..

The "newer" Modern Facilities didn't Speed Up the Dumping rather it "Attracted" TWICE as many Timpte Hoppers to a line that streches to HOME DEPOTs "DC"..

Anyways @Duck back then of I-80 in Joliet I'd exit like 52 south and Laraway West..

Problem always was "Grade" Rail Crossings..

About a 50/50 chance you'd be sitting in a Line waiting for 200 car Container Train moving 15 mph .

After afew of those trains just Took 55 got off at ARSENAL..

If not for "Trains" that Actually cut 15/20 miles off my trip
The 55/80 Interchange Joiliet Illinois 2017..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread