Sears and Tires

Tn. Truckers Wife

I ordered 2 tires from Sears and went there lastnight to have them put on..I convienced Jeff that it was a weeknight and they should be able to do it petty quickly...
We get there, drop the car off and was told that they would get me right in..We got something to eat and wondered through the mall...An hour and a half later they call his cell phone and tell him there is a problem, my lug nuts are stripped...HUH, wonder how that happened..They said they were getting them and there would be no charge to us...I would sure as heck hope not considering they stripped them...

At this point I'm thinking about a story that Ron White (comedian) told where he went to sears and bought tires for his van and as he was leaving the wheel FELL OFF!!..What, did the guy miss lug nut day when he was in training..lol..

Anways, I'm watching them whispering back and forth and now 2 and a half hours have passed and they close in 30 minutes..

I finally asked, "Just what is the problem " Heck there's every kind of auto parts place within a block of the mall go buy the dang thing..
He tells me that the guy who is suppose to be delivering them is stuck in traffic and can't make it..So one of their mechanics says he will go to autozone and fly and pick them up..That should have been done to begin with..

So they FINALLY get me out of there at closing 3 hours later...

Well I made it to work today and my wheels are still on the car so I guess all's well that end's well..lol..

I was NOT a happy camper..

Have Jeff grab a 4-way and go around and make sure they're tight, LOL.

I once had a tail-pipe replaced on my Ranger, at a Midas. I drove about 30 miles and the truck started shaking. I pulled into a grocery store and got out and looked and I only had one lug nut on the FL wheel, 3 on the FR and all of the rears were loose. I had to take a lug nut off each rear wheel to put on the FL and crank them all down tight til I got to an auto parts store to get new lug nuts. I kept checking them for a while and they never came loose, so I think the guy at Midas loosened them.

Have Jeff grab a 4-way and go around and make sure they're tight, LOL.

I once had a tail-pipe replaced on my Ranger, at a Midas. I drove about 30 miles and the truck started shaking. I pulled into a grocery store and got out and looked and I only had one lug nut on the FL wheel, 3 on the FR and all of the rears were loose. I had to take a lug nut off each rear wheel to put on the FL and crank them all down tight til I got to an auto parts store to get new lug nuts. I kept checking them for a while and they never came loose, so I think the guy at Midas loosened them.
I watched him use the air wrench and them hand tighten them so I THINK it's all good..lol..

Sounds like Midas did loosen them, that's freaky..

Oh man, I'm convinced.
I had to get tires at Sears once a couple years ago. We were heading out of town and that was one of the 2 credit cards I have and I needed to keep my cash.
6 months later when I went to do my brakes, I ended up with 2 stripped lugs and 1 broke off.
They paid for replacing them, but I wasn't about to go back to them and screw something else up.
Never had a stripped lug in my life before.

Any store with multiple departments has no business under my vehicles hood or under my vehicle at all.
Ive read some serious horror stories from people getting work done at walmart's with automotive centers. Experts they are not.

Why would a muffler shop have the wheels off Duckie?

As for the apparent lack of professional skill at Sears, you have to consider the experience level of most, if not all of their "mechanics".

For many, mechanic positions at places like Sears are starter jobs, and the level of competence will be limited. You get what you pay for, right?

Too bad your experience was not so good TTW!

No, an air impact wrench need to be checked after 100 miles, just like hand torqued does.

Lug nuts should always be tightened to the specified torque with a good quality torque wrench, in a criss cross pattern, usually about 70 to 80ft.lbs. An impact wrench should only be used to remove the nuts.

And when installing wheels on heavy trucks the impact tool should only be used to run the nuts up snug, and then a torque wrench used to make the final torque, about 450ft.lbs.

I do my best to go to stores that don't provide multiple services. I only shop at Walmart for things like paper towels and cleaning supplies and definitely not auto repairs. Sears I only get....well I don't buy anything at Sears. But my point is if I need work on my vehicle it goes to the dealership. Weather it's tires an oil change or major repair. I'm told by people all the time that I'm getting ripped off by going there but I figure the employees that work there are the most well trained for the job.

Bad Language - NSFW

[video=youtube;itoEIFm4y5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoEIFm4y5A[/video]

It is a skill. Not an overly tough one for everybody, but not the job for everyone either

Department stores hire anybody for a job like that and those people are often trained by people with little or no experience. Kind of like CDL mills and places like SWIFT :)

Lug nuts should always be tightened to the specified torque with a good quality torque wrench, in a criss cross pattern, usually about 70 to 80ft.lbs. An impact wrench should only be used to remove the nuts.

And when installing wheels on heavy trucks the impact tool should only be used to run the nuts up snug, and then a torque wrench used to make the final torque, about 450ft.lbs.

I've seen cracked lug nuts from impacts. It happened when being REMOVED from the hub. We have a small in-house shop to take care of PMCS "preventative maintenance\checks and services". A torque wrench is one of the most important and vital pieces of equipment we have, keeps things from being broken!

i watched a sears tire guy thru the big glass window put some tires on a vehicle. he didnt start the nut on the stud first, he put the nut in the socket on the air gun and just run it on there. i wonder how many he stripped out on that car. i do my own tires, if they fall off, its my fault.lol.

I got a REALLY GOOD deal on the tires but I think next time I'll have them mounted somewhere else...

That's another thing, yeah I'm bithchin....
Why when they sell you a tire do they not include everything in the price of the tire?

Instead it's: Do you want them on the car?
Do you want them balanced ?
Do you want new valve stems?
Do you want us to dispose of your old tires?
Well heck yeah, I kinda need all those things with new tires, don't I?

Most places that specialize in tires often do include everything including disposal of your old tires. The price comes out to be the same or even less than the department store after your hit with all the extra charges.

Department stores also have a habit of carrying some off the wall model of tire that "only they" stock. WalMart comes to mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread