Searching for the right truck driving school

tnbound

I'm new to this site and have been researching schools out there..:eek: A ton of promises but I'm trying to decide which one is sincere. I'm considering "Drivers CDL Staffing". They promise me a school in So. Cal and job placement with a good company. Anyone ever check them out or hear of any news on this organization? Any help any of you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Hi tnbound,

Haven't heard much about the school, but in reality, you are going to get the bulk of your training out on the road once you are with a company and a trainer.

What companies do they have available to you for a job once you are finished with their training?

They haven't told me yet. I'm still waiting to hear from a recruiter. Although I think that going to a trucking school is my best option for a career change, I'm concerned about signing on with a company that may not understand my situation. You see, my house is on the market here in Central California and I plan to move to Tennessee as soon as it's sold. I'd like to be hired on with someone that can transfer me upon the sell of my house so that I'm with the same company for a period of time.

I've worked in health care for the past 10 years and recognize the importance of a stable work history. Any suggestions on which company I might consider if I'm offered more than one opportunity? Thanks for your reply!!

Thanks, The person I talked to yesterday said that I could go to any school but was really pushing CR England. I've heard too many horror stories on this forum about that outfit. I've got a good job now and want to start a new career but, seems like there's a lot of #### companies and scams out there.

Just got off of the phone with Drivers CDL Staffing again and the story seemed to change. Yesterday he told me that I could go to any school and they worked with several. So I told him today that I wanted to go with Schneider and he flat out told me that I should apply with them then. This place charges $2995 (financed) to go to a school and $1995 cash price. He said that I was good to go and would be going to Mira Loma for training on July 16th and that I would be working with CR England. His tone changed when I told him that I really didn't like what I heard about that outfit. Hopefully, someone else will read this and understand that this place is probably a recruiter firm for CR England. Thanks for all of your help. Just getting into this business seems to be a real guessing game. Glad I found this site.

Definitely sounding like a place to avoid. Seems like they want to tell you anything they can to get your money really quick, then change the story at the last minute.

If you don't go thru school until you move to TN

If you don't go thru school until you move to TN you want to look into "Volunteer Training Center" it is where i attended and i know that they have at least 2 locations in TN. 1 in murfreesboro, and 1 in chattanooga.

I went to Roadmasters in West Memphis. I was able to get financing thru the school and had a lot of options as to what company to go with. Their school is 6 days a week for 3 weeks taking day classes or 5 weeks for the night class.

Keep in mind, CDL school gets you your CDL. Most of your learning is on the road behind the wheel.

I went with Werner for the first 90 days. The training was good and I traveled thru a lot of states. The training pay could have been better but though. I finished my training in 7 weeks. I could have done it in 6 weeks but I opted not to switch trainers when my trainer took home time. Once I hit 90 days, I switched to JB Hunt. With Werner, I'd be making 26 1/2 cents with 90 days experience. I went to JB and and now I'm making 37 cents. That's a lot of money. I just wish I could drive a Pete 379 like I did with Werner. JB is mostly Century class. Those Freightline seats hurt my but and Petes just look awesome.

How do you like running for J.B. Hunt? I know they get a bad rap on alot of trucking message boards, but I have talked to a few drivers who seem to be happy with them.

I have no complaints. Not a one. Sometimes I get frustrated at the 400 and 500 mile runs they give me or wait times from getting to the receiver early and not being able to unload. I get those a lot but when I look back, I always get my milage every week. I keep track of everything I'm supposed to get paid for and if it doesn't show up on my check, my Fleet Manager takes care of it. I average 2200 miles for every 7 days that I'm out. I've always got plenty of time to get my load delivered. I've never had to drive past 10:00 pm and I've never started earlier than 4:00 am. The trucks are governed at 63 mph. That kinda sucks but it in the end, it doesn't really matter. The differance between 65 mph and 63 mph in a 2200 mile week is 1 hour of driving.

I get back on the road tomorrow. I don't have web access on the road yet so I'll catch up on the messages when I get back in 2 weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread