• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Schneider

Sure.....

Try looking at the requirements for driving/using equipment in the military.
Schneider hires a lot of veterans. That's probably where they get it and why they do it.

I work For the navy and they offered him 0.46 a mile and they told him because he was in the service that counts as experience :/....my bf has experience class b no cdl so we are shit out of luck....

So my bf and I had A discussion about being new, y’all got any tips for when the instructor leaves you and you’re all alone on the road, do you remember how you felt, things that happened, story time....and go!

I liked my trainer, many years ago, at JB Hunt. Showed up in Dallas for orientation after school was finished, picked up by trainer, drove about 50 miles out of Dallas, and trainer headed to the bunk and told me to wake him if I needed anything. Went through Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama (including weigh stations), before he woke up.

Learned alot from the guy. Good backing techniques, multiple ways to fudge a log book, etc.....

I started out at Prime, but I'd agree that I learned a lot from my trainer - both what to do and many things that could be done better.

What strikes me most about that first year out of training is don't get overconfident. Your trainer may not be there chewing on you about little things, but that doesn't mean they aren't still important.

Always remember you have to be alert to what's going on 70 feet behind you.

I bought a truck from the classified ads.
The guy who (sort of) trained me for OTR was a retired trucker that I had bought a dump truck from.
He was embarrassed to let me back up & such so I got a week or so of verbal instruction but not much else.
:biggrin-2:
Coupla things I remember from my first week...

Backing in at Faultless Starch at the bottom of the 12th street viaduct in KCMO.
You had to take the traffic lanes and the sidewalk to line up for the dock while missing the fire plug and fire escape on the opposite side of the street.
and there was about 2" on either side of the trailer doors to avoid hitting the mirrors on the trucks you were backing between.
Lots of traffic.
I had it hit once and pulled out to circle the block hoping somebody would leave.
:wink:
But nobody did.
:frown:
After I finally got in a guy came up to me and told me I had to pull out and shut the doors since they opened them from inside the dock.
Once I started sobbing he told me that they could load me like I was but to leave the doors closed next time.
:stare2:
Would've made a huge difference.

Another time in PA right after I started, trying to get 80k going up a damn 45 degree incline from a stop light.
After 3 or 4 failed attempts to feather the clutch without rolling backwards I set the brakes and released them once the clutch started to engage.
Sounds goofy but I didn't know hop close the car behind me was and I was about to shit a brick fretting over it.

Those first few weeks I'd show up at my delivery at 2 or 3 am and practice backing into the dock(s) a bunch of times.
Heard a guy on the CB one night say, "That guy don't know WTF he's doing!".

Well, NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!
:biggrin-2:

:thefinger:

Omg this was great and so real, my bf and I were Laughing out asses off, he said great that sounds like some crappy shit, but let’s face none of ya know what the hell we are doing until we learn...gotta start somewhere, great story!!

Omg this was great and so real, my bf and I were Laughing out asses off, he said great that sounds like some crappy ****, but let’s face none of ya know what the hell we are doing until we learn...gotta start somewhere, great story!!
I should tell you when I first started out I had my big truck CDL but they sent me out in a straight truck at first.
The straight truck had and old hand brake for parking. I am not sure if it was loose or i knocked it on the way out of the truck. I am standing there talking to the shipper and I saw a company truck just like mine out of the window rolling through the parking lot. I was standing there talking to the shipper and thinking it was kind of odd that they would send 2 trucks to the same place for 1 skid:confused-96:

Then it occured to me that it was my truck rolling past the window:stare1:. I calmly and politely excused myself from the shipper.
I went outside to see my truck heading toward a fence.:foreheadslap: I finally caught up with the truck just in time to stop it about 3 ft from the fence.
I walked back in the shippers like nothing happened:cool:

Last edited:
I should tell you when I first started out I had my big truck CDL but they sent me out in a straight truck at first.
The straight truck had and old hand brake for parking. I am not sure if it was loose or i knocked it on the way out of the truck. I am standing there talking to the shipper and I saw a company truck just like mine out of the window rolling through the parking lot. I was standing there talking to the shipper and thinking it was kind of odd that they would send 2 trucks to the same place for 1 skid:confused-96:

Then it occured to me that it was my truck rolling past the window:stare1:. I calmly and politely excused myself form the shipper.
I went outside to see my truck heading toward a fence.:foreheadslap: I finally caught up with the truck just in time to stop it about 3 ft from the fence.
I walked back in the shippers like nothing happened:cool:
Those moments are straight outta Saturday morning cartoons. Just gotta love it!

:rolllaugh2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread