• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Schneider trucking?

Savpete

I'm looking for advice about a job I'm looking at. It's for Schneider trucking hauling family dollar freight. (Or dollar General, what's the difference really) Pay seems to be decent. Anyone know if this a reliable good paying job? Im just worried getting into a new job I won't be happy with.

I'm currently employed now hauling hazmat locally, but I'm trying to find a good place to get OTR experience so I can eventually get on with company I really like...BUT They want 2 years OTR though.

Possible $7,000 bonus.
Average annual earnings up to $65,000.
Sounds good but what amounts are achievable.
Really need to talk to a driver on that account.

Ya, I know that most likely isn't acheiveable. Just feeling the waters to see what I can get without OTR experience. Recruiter said you get paid per stop and per mile as well. You do have to unload the freight yourself though. I don't mind manual labor, plus he said the freight is on wheeled carts.

Ever seen the side lot of a family dollar? That's where you gotta TRY to get that 53 ft sleeper truck to swing into. I would'nt touch that for all the tea in Chinee!!!
Run away! That's what the Dollar General drivers told me when I drove a pumpkin. Oh. Most of your time will be spent lump'in freight off the trailer in that side lot.
Schneider has good dedicated stuff like Costco, Home Depot, etc.

Uh no what he meant to say is you set up those wheeled carts contraptions and you put the freight on it and push it down the line. I've heard the heavy stuff like water doesn't do to well on those things. On another forum there was a driver crying his tail off about the pay when you break it down hourly. For all the work you do. All the mega's have those accounts and they can't keep drivers on them.

Yeah Dinomite! When ya put that heavy stuff on the rollers , it makes "lumping" noises cuz it won't go down those rollers the way it oughtta!

But the point was more time spent unloading than driving. Not my idea of trucking and I 'm too old for that nonsense!

Injun you mixed Sears and k mart into the dollar general type accounts. I'm sure there may be a waiting list for the first 2 but doubt very seriously if people are waiting for dollar, family dollar and dollar tree accounts. Now most of the people who stay want to be home weekly. So they put up with it.

I wouldn't even mind doing it if you didn't have to back off the busy streets. I did enough of that delivering to Popeyes. Those people don't wAnt to stop for nothing. Heck my knee's are starting to hurt even thinking of all that unloading. Averitt, hogan, Werner have non stop ads looking for drivers in my area.

The position ended up being too far away from me, but they had two more jobs to choose from I could apply for. I decided to pass and keep looking. Reason being is, I want to look around for something I like more and I'm not quite ready to be on the road for a whole week at a time.
Thank you for all the advice.

Injun you mixed Sears and k mart into the dollar general type accounts. I'm sure there may be a waiting list for the first 2 but doubt very seriously if people are waiting for dollar, family dollar and dollar tree accounts. Now most of the people who stay want to be home weekly. So they put up with it.

I wouldn't even mind doing it if you didn't have to back off the busy streets. I did enough of that delivering to Popeyes. Those people don't wAnt to stop for nothing. Heck my knee's are starting to hurt even thinking of all that unloading. Averitt, hogan, Werner have non stop ads looking for drivers in my area.
No, I lumped Sears and K-Mart together because they're the same company. I lumped them with Dollar Generaol because the unloading procedure is the same: Put the long metal roller thing into the trailer and hand unload. Harbor Freight is like that, too.

There is a waiting list for all of these accounts...at least, the ones Swift services.

I wouldn't even mind doing it if you didn't have to back off the busy streets. I did enough of that delivering to Popeyes. Those people don't wAnt to stop for nothing
You sound like you are asking permission? Hey I am backing up this is what I am doing. If you get in the way you may get hit. My first real run was a steady Chicago. You don't ask You take.
I think they have learned some courtesy.

You sound like you are asking permission? Hey I am backing up this is what I am doing. If you get in the way you may get hit. My first real run was a steady Chicago. You don't ask You take.
I think they have learned some courtesy.

Ya! Chicago? Thats tuff! I did one of those in NYC. One time! Backing into an alley with a bend in it. That's when I figured out they have five letter words in NYC. FWU** and the like.

Told my DM that I knew I couldn't turn down a load, but if he ever sent me back, I would have a major mechanical problem!

My next gig was a Kimberley Clark load North of the arctic circle in February. Told him I'd take ice road trucking any day over NYC!

Ya! Chicago? Thats tuff! I did one of those in NYC. One time! Backing into an alley with a bend in it. That's when I figured out they have five letter words in NYC. FWU** and the like.

Told my DM that I knew I couldn't turn down a load, but if he ever sent me back, I would have a major mechanical problem!

My next gig was a Kimberley Clark load North of the arctic circle in February. Told him I'd take ice road trucking any day over NYC!
LOL.

Dude I don't like doing paperwork. I can either stop my swinging tractor from blasting an I gotta go 4 wheeler or wait 2 seconds and continue my swangin. Reminds me of a song. I'm just a swanging, swanging. You video posters post that up for me dear kind sirs. But I can't wait I gotta go here that jam. Just a swanging!! Yeeee haww

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread