• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Schneider basic questions

ezrollin

Dang it, I'm having to apply for one of the best companies to start off for, but its so far away.

1) Is team driving really one of the most lucrative or is it like you all say and they just word it to sound like you make $70k starting out but really its split 50/50 so $35k & $35k?

2) Since I only have 10 months of Class A driving with my present employer, how likely is it Schneider would hire me for this position? I know they only require 3 but there are more qualified people.
and
3) Will they most likely make me start out in a position like OTR? (even with prior-10 months)

4) If I get a sign on bonus, does this mean that they will make me sign into a commitment?
How likely will it be that I can work for Schneider for the next 8 months max on an at-will, so I can leave if I choose? Thanks!

The sign on bonus they are advertising is for a team to hire on and they split it. There is a bonus for letting them team you up with someone. If you do it they will pay a part after about two weeks ( depending when you sign the agreement) and that will list the pay out schedule. It will also say if you leave before the end of payout you liable for repaying sign on bonus.

Teams can make good money, but spending that much time in a space smaller than a jail cell is rough for people that like each other.

thank you for your reply, that's good info. I'm not really concerned about the sign-on because i have money from my past retirement(401k & pension).
New question, do they do interviews? or if you go to orientation
that means you're hired? (since you are paid).
update:
I do have a phone interview tomorrow for 30mins

As with any company no you are not hired just because you are going to orientation. However if you have been upfront about everything you will be "hired" on the 2-3rd day officially.

You have to pass a driving test, and follow several steps for that to happen while they run background checks.

Good luck on the interview.

Wish I could help. I had some company drivers in the same orientation room as me, but I paid absolutely no attention to what they were doing, and I was usually gone doing something entirely separate.

My sign on bonus was paid on my first settlement, but it wasn't one of the big bonuses that the company is advertising on the radio.

They will let you know what is available during your interview, given your experience.

The only thing I'm worried about is running the gears.
I have water truck experience but it is only "pulling it up" -out of the way on ranches.
So I have never taken a standard/manual out on the roads. Just autos.
Other than that I'm not worried because I've pulled lots of 40' trailers on the roads.
Should I be concerned about learning the gears real quick before my test or will they teach me? How big of an issue will it be? thanks again

Plan on having a trainer.

They exoect you to be able to shift gears up and down. Coasting to a stop can fail you at this company. Not sure about all tbe operating centers,but I know for a fact that Charlotte NC takes the road test very seriously.

yes sir, you were right. The interviewer said that since i didn't have enough time behind the gears, she wouldn't want to set me up for failure on this position. So she gave me a different one that is just as good. they will just have time to train me more now tks

Ok, I took my 3rd interview, this time for OTR(taking what I can get), :( Sam immediately denied me too (even for the other position). I dont think she cared. She said that I need to have 3-4 months of gear experience OR truck driving school in order to hire me on for this other position. I know for a fact that I've seen job postings for positions that require 0 (zero) CDL experience. I dont know why she didnt put me in one of those? (I have 10 months of 40' trailers on autos).
Our STANDARD MANUAL pulling unit I drive daily doesnt require a CDL since its tagged "machinery". I didnt question her since I was so ashamed.
So I have the money but I dont want to drop it on "school". I've already sunk $15k on my house, just in repairs. And what if "school" only taught autos? I know they wouldnt. It would seem like a waste of money I need for the winter when I'm not making any money as a seasonal bitch. My bosses know that I'm overly safe and cautious. I was the one that helped my boss get his class A. I feel I know everything, (including gears in our 10 speed & 18 speed). I was just looking for a bada$$ company like Schneider to top off my skills. I see illegal tractors doing stuff I would never do, even as a pro, but they have the experience to be company drivers.
So I dont have the time to take a month off work to go to school(with a young family-I'm 32), I'm going to have to man up and survive another winter in the water industry for another 3 months to claim I've learned the gears. I'm going to have to tell my head boss that I'm trying to use his equipment to get a better job, after all they've trained & invested in me. :( I feel thats disrespect. I dont know what else to do other than to apply as if I've never had a CDL before? thanks for listening to my whining but I've let my family down. 1st I got my class A with air brake restriction, then I paid an instructor $500 to train me and let me take the class A with his 18 wheeler auto box to remove the restriction. Now I have to spend $3k - $4k to say I know the gears, but I understand insurance,company profits, and safety records, etc.
I have 0 points on my license and no crimes. thanks

Ok, I took my 3rd interview, this time for OTR(taking what I can get), :( Sam immediately denied me too (even for the other position). I dont think she cared. She said that I need to have 3-4 months of gear experience OR truck driving school in order to hire me on for this other position. I know for a fact that I've seen job postings for positions that require 0 (zero) CDL experience. I dont know why she didnt put me in one of those? (I have 10 months of 40' trailers on autos).
Our STANDARD MANUAL pulling unit I drive daily doesnt require a CDL since its tagged "machinery". I didnt question her since I was so ashamed.
So I have the money but I dont want to drop it on "school". I've already sunk $15k on my house, just in repairs. And what if "school" only taught autos? I know they wouldnt. It would seem like a waste of money I need for the winter when I'm not making any money as a seasonal *****. My bosses know that I'm overly safe and cautious. I was the one that helped my boss get his class A. I feel I know everything, (including gears in our 10 speed & 18 speed). I was just looking for a bada$$ company like Schneider to top off my skills. I see illegal tractors doing stuff I would never do, even as a pro, but they have the experience to be company drivers.
So I dont have the time to take a month off work to go to school(with a young family-I'm 32), I'm going to have to man up and survive another winter in the water industry for another 3 months to claim I've learned the gears. I'm going to have to tell my head boss that I'm trying to use his equipment to get a better job, after all they've trained & invested in me. :( I feel thats disrespect. I dont know what else to do other than to apply as if I've never had a CDL before? thanks for listening to my whining but I've let my family down. 1st I got my class A with air brake restriction, then I paid an instructor $500 to train me and let me take the class A with his 18 wheeler auto box to remove the restriction. Now I have to spend $3k - $4k to say I know the gears, but I understand insurance,company profits, and safety records, etc.
I have 0 points on my license and no crimes. thanks
Have you ever heard the old saying where there is a will there is a way? If you want something bad enough than find a way to get it. Didnt someone on here go through training on weekends I want to say Racefan did??

No shame son. They have their requirements.

You can either go that route or go with another carrier that is willing to work with you. Most of them with no OTR experience at a minimum are gonna require time with a trainer.

My advice is practice with what you can. Is there any other work your boss can give you driving the ten speed truck? Or are there rock haulers, stick haulers in your area needing weekend drivers?

Adapt, improvise, overcome, put on a comfortable set of shoes and start knocking on doors in surrounding towns.

There are options to get you trained but it is gonna be time away from home with little pay. Good luck and remember the only stupid question is the one unasked:oops:

0 experience, with an accepted truck driving school. That is going to be the requirement for most companies.

Somehow,you gotta get experience at least with a 10 speed, that way you can apply with experience and show thw ability to drive the truck.

Things they look for on a road test is the ability to keep your truck in gear when coming to a stop. They dont want you coasting in neutral.

Best of luck, and dont give up.

how do I find 2nd best or comparable to Schneider? Just look through safety records?
Just how are you rating a carrier?
By size?
By how many trucks you see on the road on any given day?
By how big there ads for drivers are in the newspaper?
By there promise to set on you and work you like a slug in a factory?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread