• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Schneider and diabetes

Hello there people.
Let me tell what happened to me when I went to Schneider's orientation in Houston - TX on March 2016
I received 3 e-mails from them, explaining the rules about the hotel, transportation and physical and drug testing.
In one of these e-mails, actually from First Lab, the company that performs both the drug testing (urine AND hair) and physical tests, was stated that drivers under treatment for diabetes should bring the most A1C test (maximum 6 months old), what I did.
For my surprise, when I was seen by the doctor performing the physical test, I was asked about "my doctor's letter"
What letter???
Well the Schneider's doctor (actually from another occupational health company) said "you have to have a letter of your doctor stating which medication you are taking, how the medication is controlling your blood sugar levels and how often your levels are been checked" or your medical card won't be issued and you already are temporary disqualified.
Then the Schneider teacher in charge of the first classes (I'm talking about the very first day of orientation, at 3 PM and being 600 miles far from home) told me if I didn't get such letter by the end of the day I would have to go home!!!
BE AWARE!!!
If you have diabetes, bring such letter from your doctor (and the A1C), so the same doesn't happen to you.
I was able to get the freaking letter emailed to me at 11:43 AM of the second day of the orientation, while waiting at Schneider's Operation Center in Houston (out of their computer system) just because of a very cool instructor that was doing everything possible to give me a chance of finishing the training.
On the end I had to leave for other reason (the truck I was going to drive as for an owner operator failed Schneider's inspection) but the diabetes thing was bad enough to make me to want to warn others about.

Despite of having a pretty low A1C level (actually the lowest possible), the diabetes would be discovered due to the fact that the most efficient drug I'm currently taking eliminates the sugar through the urine and they do test for protein during the drug test.
The presence of diabetes is not a problem, unless insulin is needed to control it.
The truck owner is getting his truck authority back and will be getting loads from some load board.

Despite of having a pretty low A1C level (actually the lowest possible), the diabetes would be discovered due to the fact that the most efficient drug I'm currently taking eliminates the sugar through the urine and they do test for protein during the drug test.
The presence of diabetes is not a problem, unless insulin is needed to control it.
The truck owner is getting his truck authority back and will be getting loads from some load board.
never eat any carbs before a drug urine test...carbs spike the urine testing. eat ONLY an egg or two, and drink WATER instead of coffee..

drink several glasses of water and **** that out, before going to a DOT physical, then drink some water so you have something to pee out at the exam.

also, buy the test stripe at any pharmacy and pee on them to check the urine for sugar, it is color coded. kit will be around $20 or so, and you can also get an A1C kit as well, for about $30

you WILL PASS the urine test..!!!!!!!!

just remember those facts, stay on your meds, and for crying out loud, NEVER tell ANYONE at ANY company, that you are a diabetic.

i am not entirely sure, but i think i have read somewhere, the DOT physical will indeed INCLUDE communications with your primary care physician sometime in the future, and if this does happen, then you will never be able to get around any of this bullcrap anymore.

but in the meantime, again, DO NOT EAT carbs all day, ESPECIALLY when you know, you are going for your DOT physical.

have eggs, and WATER.......save the carbs for AFTER your DOT physical. even when you go for the orientation, they CAN AND WILL DOT exam you again..>!!!!!

Yeah falsification of your medical history is a good idea:rolleyes:

No law against it. How many of you told your doctor you don't own any guns? I have. They have to ask in case you come in for depression or mental illness. At that point they are required to notify local police so they can take your guns away. So yes, I falsify medical data all the time.

No law against it

Not sure about any specific law being created, but you are falsifying a federal document by lying. Nothing will ever come of it though, unless, you are involved in an accident and what you hid becomes known. Especially if it can, in any way, be attributed to the accident.

Gotta be careful about the things you hide. They have a way of showing up at the worst time....

No law against it. How many of you told your doctor you don't own any guns? I have. They have to ask in case you come in for depression or mental illness. At that point they are required to notify local police so they can take your guns away. So yes, I falsify medical data all the time.
Responses to the blue part of Skateboard's post and the discussion line following were moved to

FireArms: Doctor Forms, Background Checks, Tazz's TinFoil Hat and Stinky Skateboard Needs Glasses

so that @BrazilianNut can have his thread back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread