Scangauge to monitor engine performance and fuel economy

Mike

I am planning on buying a Scangauge in a couple weeks or so, and once I see how useful it is, I may see about getting another one as a contest prize.

Did you get the Kevin Rutherford Scanguage?
Yes

The fuel mileage modification is what made me want this one as opposed to a regular scangauge.

Looked at one at the Petro in joplin, and it was actually more expensive than the one Jr sells

DubbleD said:
Exhaust Gas Pressure sensor.

I have had 3 consecutive Freightliners that get some code similar to that occasionally when I start the truck. Absolutely no reason for the code, but it WILL put the engine in derate. Typically it goes away in a couple key cycles.

Another reason I am got a scangauge, so I can just clear that code immediately when it decides to come on. Doesn't happen often though. I mainly seems to happen after shutting the truck off in really cold temperatures, then restarting.

I have had 3 consecutive Freightliners that get some code similar to that occasionally when I start the truck. Absolutely no reason for the code, but it WILL put the engine in derate. Typically it goes away in a couple key cycles.

Another reason I am got a scangauge, so I can just clear that code immediately when it decides to come on. Doesn't happen often though. I mainly seems to happen after shutting the truck off in really cold temperatures, then restarting.
I just finished reading the thread that you mentioned "scangauge" ... What is it? I get the jest of it from your statement here... How is it connected? What is the cost per unit?

I just finished reading the thread that you mentioned "scangauge" ... What is it? I get the jest of it from your statement here... How is it connected? What is the cost per unit?

Here is the one I ordered.
https://www.letstruck.com/store/scangaugekr

They sell them at places like Camping World for a little bit cheaper, though it probably comes out cheaper to order one online like this since you don't have to drive to go get it, or pay any additional sales tax.

I like this one, because the software is a bit different. Instead of doing an instant fuel economy, it displays an 8 second average. Also has the regular average fuel economy that resets after shutting the truck off. It reads several sensors, and you can program it to read virtually every sensor on the truck.

Also reads engine codes, and allows you to clear them as well.

Did you read this note?

View attachment 24887
We do not recommend use on the following trucks2008 and newer Freightliner Cascadias or International Prostars - all engines
Yes. A few of them will occasionally reset. There is a temporary fix for it if you happen to have the problem, and as soon as linear logic has a permanent fix, they will update the scangauge for free.

I checked out the link.

Damn! Why hasn't this been discussed before? Scangauge provides the same info the Cat Messenger does on the 07's with the added benefit of clearing codes?? H ell yeah!

When I gave my customized 2007 387 up for the 2010 the one piece of equipment missing was the Cat Messenger. Cummins must feel drivers don't need information like... Fuel temp. I mean... what good would that do me? Let's see...at 00:01 our outside temps tonight are supposed to be -25/-35... Fuel temperature? Bah...who needs that info?

I checked out the link.

Damn! Why hasn't this been discussed before? Scangauge provides the same info the Cat Messenger does on the 07's with the added benefit of clearing codes?? H ell yeah!

When I gave my customized 2007 387 up for the 2010 the one piece of equipment missing was the Cat Messenger. Cummins must feel drivers don't need information like... Fuel temp. I mean... what good would that do me? Let's see...at 00:01 our outside temps tonight are supposed to be -25/-35... Fuel temperature? Bah...who needs that info?
Well not the steering wheel holder:rolleyes:

Is that the "Scangauge D" for RV and OTR trucks?

There were 4 models and the "D" was the one that has the pigtail to connect to a 6 or 9 pin connector.

I bought 2 for now. I also noticed there are an additional 25 "gauges" that can be customized for reading any of the sensors under the hood.

******This is what I read so I gotta get it up and running, learn it's basic functions, then add what I can so I will update about this later*******

Does it show amps + & - ?

Whatever happened to ammeters anyway? I haven't seen one in a vehicle in a long time.

No, no amps. I think that was when generators were used instead of alternators like now. To measure amps requires a large resistor and electronics to measure power/amps. The same principle I use in my onboard computer scale I built. The pressure sensors put out millivolts which I run across a precision resistor to sample the power being used. I then use the A/D converter on the computer to measure the voltage and turn it into a PSI value.

Does it show amps + & - ?

Whatever happened to ammeters anyway? I haven't seen one in a vehicle in a long time.
Kenworth was one to all ways have a amp gauge up til the early to mid 2000 year model trucks.
Most steering wheel holders dont under stand what a boost gauge is for nor a turbo exhaust temp, why bother putting a amp gauge in?

I have yet to drive a truck without an amp gauge.

I have only driven one pre-2000 truck. It didn't have a pyrometer or a boost gauge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread