Truckers Health Saturated Fats The new findings Makes sense, But

quillcom

So I heard it here first in this forum that SFA (saturated fatty acids) were not that bad. A link was even given but I blew it off as misinfo and left it at that. Lately I ran across more talks about this and here's what I gleaned:

There are different types of SFA. I had never heard that before.

From the highly regarded and respected online medical journal PubMed:

" Although SFAs increase low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, in most individuals, this is not due to increasing levels of small, dense LDL particles, but rather larger LDL particles, which are much less strongly related to CVD risk. It is also apparent that the health effects of foods cannot be predicted by their content in any nutrient group without considering the overall macronutrient distribution. " Saturated Fats and Health: A Reassessment and Proposal for Food-Based Recommendations: JACC State-of-the-Art Review - PubMed

This makes total sense to me, heres why.......

"Whole-fat dairy, unprocessed meat, and dark chocolate are SFA-rich foods with a complex matrix that are not associated with increased risk of CVD." (ibid)

Also lets look at coconuts which are also high in SFA:

" Coconuts are classified as a saturated fat, although the majority of fats contained in the coconut are medium-chain, and therefore, appear to have a more favorable impact on blood lipids and CVD/CHD risk than animal based saturated fats that are of a longer chain such as beef fat and butter. " Coconuts and Health: Different Chain Lengths of Saturated Fats Require Different Consideration.

The PubMed "abstract" even went so far as to say this:

"The totality of available evidence does not support further limiting the intake of such foods." (ibid)
:oops:

This was published back in 2020. Just one year later PubMed uploaded another "abstract" to its site that stated this:

"A diet high in saturated fatty acids (SFA) is a suspected contributor to atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) risk, in large part because of an effect to raise the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C)...However, recent reviews have highlighted controversies regarding SFA intake and cardiovascular health.

"...evidence regarding SFA intake and cardiovascular health, outlines gaps in the available evidence, and proposes tentative conclusions based on what is known today about SFA consumption and ASCVD risk."

"Results from observational studies demonstrate that dietary patterns with lower average intakes of SFA are associated with favorable cardiovascular outcomes. Additionally, although the number of randomized controlled trials testing the effects of reducing SFA intake on ASCVD outcomes is limited, the available evidence supports the view that replacing SFA with unsaturated fatty acids, particularly polyunsaturated fatty acids, may reduce ASCVD risk."

"Beyond raising LDL-C and atherogenic lipoprotein particle concentrations, higher intakes of SFA may influence pathways affecting inflammation, cardiac rhythm, hemostasis, apolipoprotein CIII production, and high-density lipoprotein function."

". However, the impacts of these effects on ASCVD risk remain uncertain. In the authors' view, the totality of the evidence supports the current recommendation to limit SFA intake to <10% of total daily energy for the general healthy population and further (e.g., to 5-6% of total daily energy) for patients with hypercholesterolemia."
Saturated fats and cardiovascular health: Current evidence and controversies - PubMed

So there you have it. As you can see this is an ongoing study that really needs more testing and empirical real world results.

This is an "abstract" from PubMed meaning PubMed does not necessarily endorse its claims

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread