GPS Satellite Radio or GPS mount for T-660

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
I was just digging through my vast archives & found these pictures.

In 2010 I was having bad luck getting my XM receiver's suction cup mount to stay on the glass. So I came up with a better idea. I figured I'd post 'em here in case someone with a T-660 or some other truck with an extra (& useless) set of visor clips in the middle wanted to copy it.

The sun visors in the T-660 are extendable so you can use those inner clips to move the visor towards the center of the windshield if you need to. But with the PrePass & I-Pass there, I never had much of a problem with sunlight bothering me in that spot.

So I used half of the suction cup mount & two pieces of steel & made a bracket that snaps into those visor clips. Those clips are freakin' tight too. There's NO chance of it falling out. I had to use both thumbs to snap the rod in. I think it was a 3/8" diameter rod.

XM-mount-KW-T660 (1).jpg

The whole thing will pivot on the axis of that steel rod, which is why the flat-stock I bent in a "U" extends forward to rest on the bottom of that plastic trim. I cut away at that forward part of the flat-stock to lighten it, but probably didn't need to. The XM receiver was heavy enough it didn't bounce going down the road.

I'm not sure but I think the steel rod I used was 3/8". And I had to bend it slightly because those visor clips are not perfectly inline with each other.

XM-mount-KW-T660 (2).jpg

Just one little tack-weld.

XM-mount-KW-T660 (3).jpg

XM-mount-KW-T660 (4).jpg

The flat-stock I used was the stuff they feed though the end of a section of chain link fence mesh. It's 3/16" thick. It doesn't need to be that thick.

I just tossed the two black wires over the passenger side sun visor to get them out of the way but the white wire wasn't long enough to do that so it just hung straight down to where it plugged into the AUX input on the stereo. A quick stop at a Radio Shack for a longer wire would've solved that issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread