RVs

XtremeTraveler

If you're a trucker who wants to be a prepper than I would think an RV would be your vehicle. I believe you do need a CDL to operate some of the RVs, the ones that are over a particular size, and so a good experienced trucker would no doubt handle an RV just fine. Any of you truckers out there got RVs?

You don't need a cdl in South Dakota nor Florida or Texas but in Texas you need some kind of trailer endorsement can't think of it off the top of my head. But the other two states you can buy a 53 ft bus or even a big rig with no cdl required providing it's for private use only,,,

I've seen comments from a diy camper builder who used a 26,001+ gvwr box truck and regretted it, not that he was doing anything wrong, but the DOT officers could & did pull him over and inspect the whole rig on the spot. There are states where vehicles titles can be changed to 'RV' though.
I really like reading up on RV Living info/tech and such. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a stepvan or a class c rv.

Last edited:
If you're a trucker who wants to be a prepper than I would think an RV would be your vehicle. I believe you do need a CDL to operate some of the RVs, the ones that are over a particular size, and so a good experienced trucker would no doubt handle an RV just fine. Any of you truckers out there got RVs?
nope, not me, i cannot see any sense in spending high amounts of money for any such vehicle. the roads will be jammed, areas where you can park them will be jammed.

I'd get a bumper pull for behind my pickup if they weren't so cheaply made and sketchy to tow.

Wouldn't want a self contained bus type jobby at all. Too expensive and you still need a car behind you for convenience.

So... "when the end comes" that means The End. Refineries ain't gonna be running 24/7, and fuel trucks ain't gonna be deliverin' what refineries ain't refinin'.

Just what the heck are all you prepper RVers gonna be totin' that RV around with?

So... "when the end comes" that means The End. Refineries ain't gonna be running 24/7, and fuel trucks ain't gonna be deliverin' what refineries ain't refinin'.

Just what the heck are all you prepper RVers gonna be totin' that RV around with?
they're gonna get Mel Gibson to go and get the fuel...

nope, not me, i cannot see any sense in spending high amounts of money for any such vehicle. the roads will be jammed, areas, where you can park them, will be jammed.

totally agree

For sure I'd love to have a big RV when I get old, but an important thing in RVing is the ability to travel and getaway from your regular life, and to do that, you don't have to invest a lot! I started to look at the vanlife kind of things and it attracts me much more than big RVing. Small cheap van, can get you a very similar experience, so why spend more?

totally agree

For sure I'd love to have a big RV when I get old, but an important thing in RVing is the ability to travel and getaway from your regular life, and to do that, you don't have to invest a lot! I started to look at the vanlife kind of things and it attracts me much more than big RVing. Small cheap van, can get you a very similar experience, so why spend more?
i have a buddy that lives in the southwest. he emails me frequently.

he and his wife and thier dog went on a vacation trip and to go see his family. HE HAD reservations at a campsite. when they get there, a bigger camper was parkind in his spot, and refused to move. the campground gave him another spot no extra charge, but it wasn't as nice a place as his reserved one was, and it was more so crowded too.

the thing is, in some sort of national emergency where everyone is trying to escape, all anyone has to do in realistic time, is watch some of those disaster movies, with clogged up highways..there really will be "No escape", to higher grounds or further away areas...

in the most all too real event of any large scale disaster, in all frankness, pretty much only the president, his family, and members of his cabinet will be flown far, far away from any danger..

then too, (again given what Hollywood shows us), would anyone really want to survive any germ warfare, or nuke, or tidal wave, or meteor disaster..???

how long will the food, and FRESH water really last..???

you can only carry so many weapons, and ammo, to fend off intruders, raiders, and the like, before you run out, then what..???

nah...let a disaster strike, i'll hide in my cellar and watch cable tv...........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread