rust in fuel tanks due to ULSD?

old&tired

I got rust in my steel fuel tanks so bad im replaceing them with aluminum ones.my mechanic tells me he is seeing a lot of this and says its due to ULSD anybody else noticing this? It has created big problems for me.apparently its also corroding aluminum tanks as well, it just takes longer.

First I had heard of it.

Welcome. I know some folks have said ULSD gets less fuel mileage in older truck. We had to scope mine to check a pick up tube. I did not notice any in them. They are Aluminum though.

No. I have never heard of lower sulfer content fuel causing rust.

I have, however, heard of tanks rusting because of condensation and the resulting water never being drained.

Thanks for the quick reply.ive had to pull and clean my injectors twice.it looks like black grit in the filters even after we drained and flushed the tanks.my tanks are 19 years old too.never had this problem before.I see on the web its the accelerated corrosion from ULSD.

They started lowering sulphur content in fuel in the 80's. It was hard on Cummins bosch pump seal.
They changed the seal composition and problem solved. I get lower MPG with Bio diesel and winter blend.
But no problem with ULSD. my tank is plastic.

I get my fuel at the same location as some fleet trucks I work with.there not having any problems. I think condensation has rusted my tanks.
You'll probably be happier with the aluminum tanks. They'll save you some weight.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to our forum. Feel free to poke around and include yourself in any discussion.

Thanks for the quick reply.ive had to pull and clean my injectors twice.it looks like black grit in the filters even after we drained and flushed the tanks.my tanks are 19 years old too.never had this problem before.I see on the web its the accelerated corrosion from ULSD.

Change out your fuel lines, they are disintegrating from the inside out.
They will start seeping fuel soon if they haven't already.

Ha ha ha. Old and Tired. Like your name.

It could be ULSD fuel or it could be the North American fuel that has been introduced. The oilsands gas has been found to be much more corrosive than the other over seas stuff. Even the rail has noticed this and acknowledged a need to up grade their tanker rail cars.

Black?

Is it rust or possibly asphaltenes?

Masphaltene s? ost: 421842 said:
Black?

Is it rust or possibly asphaltenes?
What are asphaltenes?.the material im seei h is black and the small pieces are hard looks like old coffee grounds.

Quick note called truck salvage yard in richmond va. They have seen a rash of rusted tanks this year.told me they sold all the tanks they had.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread