Rule against talking on cell phone while driving CMV effective January 1

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
WASHINGTON — The final rule prohibiting interstate truck and bus drivers from using hand-held cell phones while operating a vehicle was published in the Federal Register Friday, which means the rule will take effect Jan. 1, 2012.

The joint rule is from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is the latest action by the DOT to end distracted driving.

Drivers who violate the restriction will face federal civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification from operating a commercial motor vehicle for multiple offenses.

Additionally, states will suspend a driver's CDL after two or more serious traffic violations. Commercial truck and bus companies that allow their drivers to use hand-held cell phones while driving will face a maximum penalty of $11,000. Approximately four million commercial drivers would be affected by this final rule.

In September 2010, FMCSA issued a regulation banning text messaging while operating a commercial truck or bus and PHMSA followed with a companion regulation in February of this year, banning texting by intrastate hazardous materials drivers.

full story

I can't wait until the government requires someone to sit in the truck with me to hold my hand while I do my job.

Enough with the nanny state. You can't legislate common sense, so quit trying to.

This is pretty ridiculous. Just another law waiting for me to violate. To hell with everyone and their policies!

I can't wait to break the law on THIS one!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread