RTS Fleet One fuel card

DubbleD

Color Commentator
Anyone have experience with this company?

I'm looking to add options and was told by a rep that last weeks discounts averaged .63 below cash price in network.

I'll call in the morning. Thanks for the lead.

I am not keen on getting the NASTC Fleet one. Especially with them saying it's MANDATORY that I attend their business class on the third Friday of the month and $250 annual fee. I am definitely not happy with the OOIDA Truckers Advantage either with basically no discount.

I'm looking to add options and was told by a rep that last weeks discounts averaged .63 below cash price in network.

No personal experience with the card.
I know a couple of people who use their credit reports to decide on which brokers/shippers to trust as the services provided on the boards is unreliable.

As of 1 1/2 -2 weeks ago reports cited about $1.25 difference between rack & retail for diesel fuel so the lag in price correction between gasoline & diesel is largely just price gouging by retailers which ought to correct over time.

The little no name stop I use dropped 30 cpg before the chains dropped 5 cpg and up until 12/20 I was paying 50 cpg less there than the cash price down the street at Love's, pilot, etc.

While you're at it be sure to get an annual or year-old comparisons if possible.

Well, I called Caroline the next day. Nice person to work with. Figured I was leaving 63 CpG or more on the table staying with the OOIDA card. So I went online while talking with her and filled out the application.

She called today with the news they are just going to move my account from wex to RTS.

So now it's just waiting for the new card to show up which should be early to mid next week.

No personal experience with the card.
I know a couple of people who use their credit reports to decide on which brokers/shippers to trust as the services provided on the boards is unreliable.

As of 1 1/2 -2 weeks ago reports cited about $1.25 difference between rack & retail for diesel fuel so the lag in price correction between gasoline & diesel is largely just price gouging by retailers which ought to correct over time.

The little no name stop I use dropped 30 cpg before the chains dropped 5 cpg and up until 12/20 I was paying 50 cpg less there than the cash price down the street at Love's, pilot, etc.

While you're at it be sure to get an annual or year-old comparisons if possible.

I noticed that no name places tend to be cheaper than Big Chains

I think the big chains jack it up because they get all them company trucks and I noticed big chain truckstops tend to have more mega carrier trucks while owner operators tend to gather at the Independant truckstops.

I think the big chains jack it up because they get all them company trucks and I noticed big chain truckstops tend to have more mega carrier trucks while owner operators tend to gather at the Independant truckstops.

Yeah,
Mega carriers are romanced by mega fuel stops and they get HUGE discounts.
Most of them only pass a portion on to O/O's who are leased to them.
That is the crux of the whole Pilot fuel scandal.

We'll give you 15 cpg off and you give your O/O's a nickel.
We'll cut you a quarterly check for the difference and you can make money off them.

That's how Pilot hooked so many big carriers, by appealing to their sense of greed.

Prinks

Www.gasbuddy.com
Let's me make fuel decisions on the fly. But I'll still use the RTS card with it.

Yeah,
Mega carriers are romanced by mega fuel stops and they get HUGE discounts.
Most of them only pass a portion on to O/O's who are leased to them.
That is the crux of the whole Pilot fuel scandal.

We'll give you 15 cpg off and you give your O/O's a nickel.
We'll cut you a quarterly check for the difference and you can make money off them.

That's how Pilot hooked so many big carriers, by appealing to their sense of greed.

Prinks
Before I gave up on mine I often dropped my trailer at the terminal and I would bobtail down the street to the Gas Station and pay with my own credit card because their fuel was 20 cents cheaper than most truckstops and that made a substantial difference in your settlements.

On the road I only used big chains in a pinch meaning 50-100 gallons to get to a better place because even with the crappy discount it was still too high

One chain that usually had the big boys beat by 15 cents was Sapp Brothers and SAPP plazas are usually much nicer than the chains and ya get GOOD FOOD pricer but GOOD and there was the Speedway Stations with truck fuel lines although those are disappearing and Kwik Trip "Kwik Star" in Iowa and out east the Wilco Hess was usually a little cheaper than pilot or Ta

The FLYING J used to be CHEAPER before Pilot Took them over although when it was stand alone Flying J they didn't take Comdata so you needed a credit card but they marked theirs down just to get ya in the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know... filled at Flying hook in Lasalle couple of days ago. $1.30 off the cash pump price of $3.16, for a cost of $1.86 a gallon, including fuel tax. Comdata card from my carrier. No swipe fee.

That was the best there to date. For a couple of weeks, did my fuels there and was getting an average $1.15 off the cash pump price. I tend to book most of my runs between NE and OH, so it works out pretty good.

Carrier has all fuel stops in network and several out of network listed on their website showing current cash fuel price and current discounts. Updated every two hours. Just looked at Flying Hook in Lasalle and the current cash price is $3.14 with a discount of $1.32 a gallon. Cost right now $1.82 a gallon including fuel tax. $1.38 a gallon excluding tax.

Last edited:
And there are "fleetone" cards too.

Which are provided by Trucker's Advantage from OOIDA, NASTC and RTS to just name a few. I do not use or care to pay the fees Comdata charges as a one truck operations. Hell, they want to charge 25 cents per CHECK if you order them through Comdata.

Nor do I know if Comdata is "resold" like Fleetone is.

Trucker's Advantage gets you a 6 CPM rebate monthly only on purchases from TA/Petro.

NASTC has a program, but it requires a "mandatory" business training session that's offered on the third Friday of each month and a $250 annual feel.

RTS let me port my Fleetone from OOIDA Trucker's Advantage to RTS with no fees. Original set-ups include a one-time $75 set up fee.

There's a lot more to those fuel cards than what's on the face of them.

I primarily posted the discount I got because it has been contended that many carriers are pocketing the discounts and not passing them on. While there is some merit to that, it is not the general practice followed by all carriers. I have no love affair with Comdata that has a history to it. But in the situation I am now, it is proving to be somewhat of a winner. Considering I get pretty good discounts, I am not charged a swipe fee at most locations, and those locations that I do get hit for a swipe fee, it is only 65 cents. Have no idea how the carrier has this set up, but I am not complaining.

And added to that, the carrier I am with does all the IFTA. The reporting and filing, the paying of any additional taxes that are required, everything. No fee charged to me either. I only have to concern myself with the lowest cost I can get fuel. All of the benefits on fuel purchasing is probably one of the top 5 reasons I have stayed here over 7 years. That is why I have mentioned to others that they have to look beyond the rate per mile and fuel surcharge thing. Other parts of the package may really add a lot of icing to the cake.

I primarily posted the discount I got because it has been contended that many carriers are pocketing the discounts and not passing them on. While there is some merit to that, it is not the general practice followed by all carriers.

Not all carriers, but a helluva bunch of them.
I used to run for a 60 truck outfit that got discounts of 20-40 cpg back when fuel was under $1.50.
If a 60 truck carrier can get that kind of discount I can only imagine what a 1,000+ truck carrier can get.

The only reason for the Pilot scandal was the practice of carriers to skim the discounts and that's what their whole rebate system was tailored to exploit.

I don't contest the fact that it's the carrier's prerogative to withhold a portion of the discount as long as they aren't lying about it (which is illegal) but I do think it's unethical.

I haven't even heard of discounts like you're getting before except for right after 9/11 when fuel spiked by $1 or more overnight on fears of WW III. $1.38 plus (state) tax would be $1.55 diesel here in Mo which is cheaper than gasoline. Our prices are running about a dollar higher than that which bears out the fact that rack prices for diesel nationwide are essentially the same as gasoline.

The extra dollar at the pump for diesel is price gouging, plain and simple.

What would you say your average discount was before pump prices started falling?

Since you started this, have you decided to go with them?

I signed up & received my cards today.
The savings are 40-60 cpg right now for me and I believe the gap will close sooner rather than later but WTH,
You save back the $75 app fee on the first or second fuel.
And who knows really how long the retailers will try to keep this goose laying golden eggs?

I had (have) a Fleet One card through OOIDA as well but I haven't used it in ages.
Since I'm leased now it's just easier (and as cheap) to buy on their card, or was, until oil prices started plummeting.

It would be nice if we could get half the membership to throw in on programs like that but people don't see the big picture.
With half the membership on a fuel program we'd be about 5x the clout of Swift (the biggest T/L carrier in the country).
We could rule the world.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread