Route Driver to OTR Driver Questions

DWE9430

I've been a route driver for more than 20 years, and have recently started a new job in which the long hours and heavy lifting are much harder than when I was 20-something (LOL). This job pays about $47k/year plus benefits. Have thought for years I'd really enjoy OTR driving, as I do like the autonomy and love being on the road.

But based on what I've read here, is there any realistic way to match the money (or come close)?

Are there any others out there who made the switch from local route work to OTR?

If yes, can you tell me the pros/cons you've experienced?

Thanks in advance for any help you offer

This is really a loaded question, We use to run our truck intra, not a route but some what close. Made money and was home alot more.That's done..lol
I really don't think you will match what your doing, In these times a gnt. is the best.
Read through some of the forums, Trucks just are not doing it.

I've been a route driver for more than 20 years, and have recently started a new job in which the long hours and heavy lifting are much harder than when I was 20-something (LOL). This job pays about $47k/year plus benefits. Have thought for years I'd really enjoy OTR driving, as I do like the autonomy and love being on the road.

But based on what I've read here, is there any realistic way to match the money (or come close)?

Are there any others out there who made the switch from local route work to OTR?

If yes, can you tell me the pros/cons you've experienced?

Thanks in advance for any help you offer

I can only give my opinion DWE, that is if you are grossing 47K a year with good benefits, right now would not be a good time to make the leap. This is just my opinion.

If it was me, I would try to hold out where you are currently, atleats for another year or 2, to see what the industry will intel for long haul

I'm ok with making less money and keeping my sanity.Right now I'm averaging about 15 hrs a day.Currious to know what its like driving otr compared to the hussle and busell of being a route man.Some otr drivers say they love their job.Whats your take?

It's hard to say, When a drivers opens there mouth it's hard to tell the difference between them and a fisherman. You know they claim to have got a great white and it turned out to be a goldfish.
For the most part when you start to add hours,driving,loading,unloading ect....
It's alot longer then a 15 hour day, and you forgetting at the end of your day you go home. You will be dealing with alot of b.s. on the road and most of the place's you go so sanity circle a few parking lots for a while tired and hungry looking for a spot.

I'm ok with making less money and keeping my sanity.Right now I'm averaging about 15 hrs a day.Currious to know what its like driving otr compared to the hussle and busell of being a route man.Some otr drivers say they love their job.Whats your take?

LMAO DWE9430, I would have to agree with them, I have done local, regional and OTR, and OTR won the race.

My wife says I have desiel fuel in my viens and has come to accept that I always will.

There are some here that will tell you that we have to be a little nutz to do what we do, LOL I guess after 20+ years that would lead people to think I am full blown cookoo. :peacebanana: and I will never change

Alright now Luna, I could not reseamble a fisherman, I cannot set still long enough to fish LMAO. But I know what you mean

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread