• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Roehl home time is not as advertised.

roehl_driver

As I write this, I am in Birmingham, Al trying to get routed to the Roehl yard in Ellenwood. I am on the much touted Roehl 7/7 fleet. I should have been home on Friday night or Saturday morning. It is now Tuesday afternoon and there is no sign that I will get home today or even tomorrow.

A 7/7 fleet is only a good deal when the 7's actually mean something to the company who owns you while you are in their truck. Presumably you are out 7 and home 7. Think again. As I was told yesterday by my dispatcher, you aren't guaranteed home in 7 but you are expected to always launch out on time, regardless of whether you got your 7 off. In my current case, I will be lucky to get two days off before going back out. Roehl does not get their special fleet drivers home on time regularly. I have driven all their special fleets and they have gotten me home on the 7th day less than half the time. They did a better job when I drove nationally for them.

I will have my two years in next month and will be looking elsewhere for work. Not only becuase of the lousy job Roehl does getting drivers home but also because Roehls pay is not great either. So much of your pay is based on a bonus which continues to get harder and harder to get. I have made the all the goals once in two years. I don't even expect to get it anymore.

So don't believe the hype about Roehl being a 'better' trucking company. They are just as bad as all the rest.

Thanks for the first hand input on the company. I moved this post into it's own thread, that way people will be able to find it more easily.

Just another company that lies or rather does'nt tell the whole truth in their ads.I met a roehl driver a few weeks ago inquireing for another driver that thought about going to roehl.I asked him so how do u like roehl he replies I hate it.Are they good about getting u home he said no I requested home 2 weeks ago and I have'nt been home yet.That's just SO WRONG how companies treat the drivers.You can't go to anyone higher up about the problems you're having because no matter what they side woth the one you're having an issue with.I know exactly what u mean by achieving your goals.I did it all the time and I got alot of youre my best driver ect which met alot to me but there were many times u don't even get as much as a thank you.Companies are sure quick to find everything wrong in drivers but cant seem to see anything good about drivers.

Lol

You go where the freight goes

Not

The freight goes where u go.

It could be bad timing or bad planning

suck it up

Your not gonna get anywhere jumping job to job

But if your company has no good paying customers around your neighborhood then you should go.

I'd give them one more chance to see if it was a fluke if not jump ship but a lot of companies only do the 7/7 with you I'd your in an express lane for the that way they get your truck for your 7 off

yes i am probably going to another company closer to home soon they have lied to me over and over

It would appear that after 2 1/2 years Roehl has not changed their methods.

Lol

You go where the freight goes

Not

The freight goes where u go.

It could be bad timing or bad planning

suck it up

Your not gonna get anywhere jumping job to job

But if your company has no good paying customers around your neighborhood then you should go.

I hope after 2 years of driving for Roehl, the OP did suck it up and find better working conditions. They are out there and I wouldn't consider "almost 2 years of driving" for one company and looking elsewhere.... "jumping job to job".

I'd give them one more chance to see if it was a fluke if not jump ship but a lot of companies only do the 7/7 with you I'd your in an express lane for the that way they get your truck for your 7 off

A friend of mine had the same issue with Roehl as recently as 8 months ago, spent most of his time across the northern border and played heck trying to get home after his 3 weeks out. He left.

i've seen trucking companies work all week on getting a load for a driver to the house and either it gets cancelled or under bid. Sucks! but that is the trucking industry and you shouldnt bash Roehl you might not know the whole truth. Companies don't say much to the drivers when a load falls threw. It happens everyday. Load planners can only do so much bending without getting into trouble.

If your not in there major freight lanes then your gonna have problems. Drivers do not understand this and companies dont say much.

good luck

If they advertise and hire you on 7 days out, 7 days at home, they they better do just that, or else get called out for it. It is regional, so if something cancels they can keep their word by deadheading you home.

Deadheading was no problem when fuel was 2 bucks. Price of fuel really changed the game of trucking

I here ubon the advertisement but c'mon are we in a perfect world.

Military could keep u longer overseas then they say. I seen it happen plenty of times. Bossman could transfer u to another country to run there plant for a few months I seen it happen.

Truckers should understand this and there families too.

I am in major truck lanes in ohio. as a matter of fact I would say I liv in one of the best pLaces to be a trucker. i chose Roeh out of 25 prehires and this doesn't include what I can get through my family which has trucking all through it. I will giv Roehl some time. but I am also considering some other offers. I live on top of a sni hub and a r§l hub have gotten good offers from both. but I am trying to give Roehl a chance because they were my f
irst choice I am ok with getting home late but short me on my home time because you got me home late and I will move on. It is a mutual respect thing. Driving truck is not the military, I was in the Military E.O.D. to be precise. So I know about deployment. In Trucking your carreer i your license. The company you drive for is your current job. I like this FM she isn't condiscending so I am giving her some time. You see my lif is paid for. house truck harley gun collectiion ect ect. I am doing this because I just don't believe in retiring at 49. but my home is most important thing to me. I worked hard to be in a position to where i have choices this early in my driving carreer.

I have been in contact with a Roehl recruiter, and want to be on their 7/4 7/3 flatbed fleet. I understand that I maybe out longer than 7, but i expect my 3 and 4 days home when I do get back.

I think this cat should talk to his supervisor or maybe his driver trainer about his problems.

Driver trainers have a lot weight in a company. Call your trainer up see what he can do.

Supervisors can get the job done. Try your supervisor. Then check back with them if u don't hear back.

Bug them!

Grab the bull by the horns.

Don't settle on what your dispatcher tells u.

Good Luck!

well next time out will be the test. they said if i remind them they will get me home on time. True small companies treat their drivers more like people not a number. Sparten remember only stand up as much as you can afford. Roehl is a corporation, corporation are about the bottom line. I know I have owned one before. I know their strengths and their weaknesses. If you have a lot of bills pick your battles wisely. If you don't then just be prepared to get home from anywhere. Luckly I traveled exstensively before deciding to drive for awhile. It is true you may have a problem with dispatch if you stand your ground. But at some point you probably will anyway. I get a kick out of it all. If I wasn't very much in love with my fieance I would just live out on the road for a couple years. You can learn a new language which makes you more marketable. you can enjoy the places you reset at. But everywhere else you will just see through the windshield . Hollywood interesting avatar. I am a internationally published tattooist and a gun engraver. nice tat.I work hard when i am out because that is just my way. I will stick with driving at Roehl or somewhere else until I am ready to move on to something else I never stop learning or trying new things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread