Road closures in Illinois - flooding

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Note: Will County is the one Joliet is in. (Junction I-80/I-55)
The one I put in red I don't think is in Will County, LOL.

The Illinois State Police District 5 issued a road closure update. The following roads are closed due to localized flooding, as of 2:45 p.m. Friday, April 19:
Will County
• I-55 SB Exit Ramp to Joliet Rd. ( open)
• Rt. 30 from111th to 127th (All Open)
• Rt. 52 at Gallagher/ Gouger Rd. (Closed)
• New Ave. between 127th and 135th (Closed)
• Rt. 6 from 187th to Will Cook Rd.(Closed)
• 102 in the town of Ritchie (Closed)
• Caton Farm Rd. between Von Esch Rd. and Bronk Rd. (Still Closed)
• Rt. 30 just west of 135th St. (Open however use caution. Standing water on pavement)
• Rt. 126 east of 143rd St. (Roadway is open however large amounts of water on pavement. Use caution)
• Seil Rd. between I-55 and River (Closed)
• Rt. 1 just north of Kentucky (traffic is able to get through on the southbound side)
Cedar Rd. and Manhattan Rd. (Closed)
• I-55 southbound at Black Rd. (Use Caution. Right lane is shut down at this location)
• Rt.30 and Washington
• I-55 southbound just north of Rt. 6 ( Still Closed between I-80 and Rt 6. Traffic is being rerouted onto I-80)
• I-55 northbound just south of Rt. 6 (Closed between I-80 and Rt. 6 Traffic is being rerouted onto route 6)

94 has been closed for almost 2 days now for a large section. I had to take 80 instead today. The road is like 1 foot away from being closed down. The water is about 2" from the top of the bridges. Tons and tons of houses flooded. Roads under water.

Everyone from this area who I know are posting pictures on Facebook.

Some road collapsed, like water washed out the dirt under it making a sink-hole about 10 feet deep & the pavement collapsed & 3 cars fell into it, one injury.

Right now it's about 40 degrees inside my parents' house because the basement flooded out the boiler. I've got it pumped down below the measly little 4" riser it's on, and it's dry in there, but won't light. Spark works, but no gas flow. Got a HVAC guy supposed to call. No idea why the old man can't talk to those people; he won't get off the phone with my sister. All he's been doing all day is bitching that he's cold but there's nothing I could do until the water level went down. Figured I could just clean out the burner tubes & wave an LP torch around by the pilot but no, .. there's a thermistor or something, some kind of safety thing that shuts it off if it senses flames outside the combustion area, that was submerged & is corroded. Plus the high water line is mid-way on the gas regulator.

Haven't even opened the hood on my mom's car yet. She drove it into water that was higher than her headlights and hydro-locked the engine.

I'm just glad I'm at home so I can take care of this stuff for them. Actually not "home", .. been at my parents house for the last 3 weeks. My dad's on the crippled list, (hip replacement) and my mom wouldn't have thought to put insulated rubber waders on before walking into the flooded basement that had live electrical components under water.

When you get to the bottom of the stairs leading into the basement, the breaker panel is on the opposite side of the basement. Can't reach it with a broom, LOL.

Have fun with that mess....Just tried to upload a picture from my phone and it said it was to big. It's of someone's backyard with water up to their gazebo roof.

Have fun with that mess....Just tried to upload a picture from my phone and it said it was to big. It's of someone's backyard with water up to their gazebo roof.
This flooding is weird,

Usually when it's flooding in this area, the creek by my parents' farm overflows first, and at least a foot of water gets into a neighbor's house. He's right at the junction of three creeks, and the sod farm stripped a few feet of topsoil from the top of a levy for some reason a few years ago, causing his flooding to get much worse. His house is over 100 years old, used to be a school-house. It has no basement, not even a foundation. Just wood sitting on flagstone.

The flooding in this area has been MUCH worse than the usual heavy spring rains that causes that creek to overflow & flood Joe's house every single year at least once, ... but this year the water only got up to the height of his doorstep. Didn't enter the house, though it came close a few times when idiots were driving fast through the water on the road, making a wake like a boat.

The creek is fed by fields within a 10 mile radius, so I'm guessing all the other flooding in the area is being caused by Lake Michigan's level getting too high, or runoff from up north via the Des Plaines River, which starts in Wisconsin & flows through the Chicago suburbs before merging with the Illinois River near Joliet.

There was some major flooding in Marseilles, IL that caused a big evacuation. Barges crashed into a dam somewhere too.

I know on Wednesday the detoured me through a residential area and every road around the area was flooded its definitely weird. Never have I seen an interstate shut down due to flooding except for a hurricane or tropical storm.

This is normal level for the creek, this time of year. (in mid-summer it's ankle-deep & 6 feet wide.)

creek (1).jpg

Today:

creek (3).jpg

creek (2).JPG

This is water running off the bridge I was stopped on, back down to creek level, after the water started receding a bit. It was higher on the other side due to a huge blockage caused by silage that washed out of the corn fields.

creek (4).JPG

Looks like it's time to go fishin!!!!
Why not? There were 5 dead bass in the parking lot where my mom submerged her car.

And I've already got my hip waders on. I haven't taken them off all day. Gotta keep going into the basement to check the intake screens on the sump pumps so they don't get clogged up with dog hair & kitty litter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Swift's Manteno yard is either flooded or CR-9 is closed off. The same creek going past my parents' farm also runs past the Swift terminal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread