Coronavirus Revisiting the Coronavirus Pandemic. What are your thoughts on it now?

Mike

Staff member
Quite a bit has changed since we began discussing Coronavirus on this forum. Truth? It's changed pretty fast.

I don't want to know what you think the news media thinks about it, I don't want to know what you think about what others think about it. I want to know what you think about the situation. Are you concerned for yourself? Your family?

I have to admit, I am taking it more seriously than I was just a couple weeks ago. There is no doubt that this virus is going to kill quite a few people. Not only worldwide, but to narrow it down to the demographic of most of this forum, North America.

yes, it mostly kills elderly, and those who already had other pretty serious health conditions, but it is also getting other people. This virus sneaks up on young healthy people and takes them down quickly. As a father of three young girls, I can't help but be just a bit alarmed.

I have one kid who's trip to Navy boot camp has turned into a complete mess. A mess that will result in us not being able to see her graduate, and not sure when we will get to see her.

Another kid, who was ready to compete for a state gymnastics championship, only to have it cancel 24 hours before the meet was to begin. Forget the fact I found out after deadheading several hundred miles home to attend.

As for my wife, she was training for a half marathon. Also cancelled. She continues to run as she plans on running it anyway with some of those who were entered to run it. That said, it has been an emotional thing for her to see people who normally speak, wave, talk, and otherwise communicate on the trails near the house suddenly become fearful of meeting another person. It's gotten crazy.

As for me, I am a bit nervous about going home. I don't fear getting sick from the virus, but I am concerned about possibly being in contact with it and bringing it home. I'm concerned about one of my family at home testing positive, and causing me to be forced off the road as a result.

I think all of my family is healthy enough that they would handle this virus just fine, but I do still worry just a bit. If I didn't own this forum and feel just a bit responsible for everyone here, I probably wouldn't admit to most of this. Truth, I wouldn't admit to any of this. I would be that guy that just make joke about all of it.

Honestly, I'm making jokes to keep it light, but I feel the situation has become really serious. I know we compare this to the flu, and how the flu kills far more people, but I'm concerned about when this stops. More than 1,000 dead now in the United States, and I don't know when it will peak.

yes, it's mostly elderly people, but they are important people.

I'm shocked at the amount of people washing their hands now, and wondering what they were doing before. Actually, I don't wonder, because I still see people walking out of a bathroom without washing their hands. Granted, I'm not big on washing my hands, as I think you build immunity when you avoid oversanitizing when you use something other than regular soap, but even I think you need to sanitize as much as possible during a pandemic.

Ok, I'm gonna continue to make jokes and try to have a bit of fun during all of this, but make no mistake, I'm taking this seriously. I think everyone needs to.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I'm an old, fat guy with a cardiac condition.

My wife is an old fat broad with diabetes.

We both work in what we consider high risk occupations for exposure.

I have avoided visiting my own parents just for that reason considering they are both Octogenarian and cardiac and/or diabetic as well.

I posted about the shipping clerk with the pen cup and see that as the level of silliness at what's going on.

I question the use of a freshman stats problem as a justification for "social distancing" when we've faced a dozen or more similar in severity and mortality rates in the past 20 years.

Especially when a more recognized and causing more deaths illness is pretty much ignored.

An then there's the entire focus on antibacterial everything to address a virus and when you try to explain the issues with that....

Mike

Staff member
I have avoided visiting my own parents just for that reason considering they are both Octogenarian and cardiac and/or diabetic as well.
I know you have dealt with that, and I am sure it sucks. I know my mom would be offended if I avoided her right now, if she was alive. 70's, COPD because she used to smoke. She would have laughed and make every joke possible about this virus to guild me into stopping to visit, and I likely would have caved to the pressure and stopped by. Probably for the pork chops, fresh baked bread, or chicken and dumplins, but likely would have stopped by out of guilt.

these are some hard decisions.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Its serious like I've pointed out. That doesn't mean I'm changing how I do things other than being more attentive to trying not to get infected. I'm normally more aware of this at this time of year, just trying to not catch the flu. I don't need that in a normal year... nothing worse than being sick while on the road.

The rate of infections ocurring is still increasing... that's not the same as the total number of infections. That's mostly seen in the NY data, but only because they're testing more intensely there. That means the epidemic is still getting worse, and there's no reason to think that this is just limited to NY. Other large population centers are probably just as affected, but the lower rate of testing doesn't reveal that. The natural isolation of more rural communities may afford some protection, but they get the flu there too. The Novel Coronavirus is supposed to be more infectious than flu, meaning its more easily spread. Also, the nonsense that in total numbers, that Coronavirus can't be as bad as the flu because not as many have died is just plain stupid. That's comparing apples to oranges, because it ain't over.

The recently touted idea that this will all be over by Easter Sunday is just whistling in the dark. Encouraging a nation-wide Coronavirus Party on that day (see below) is just stupid in my opinion. I don't see this being over for awhile. There were multiple peaks of infections/deaths during the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic, and that could quite possibly happen during this epidemic. Relaxing restrictions too early could be much worse than waiting for the virus to burn itself out. Keeping an eye on what's happening in China could provide an idea of how it will go here, allowing for a 2 month delay.

Last edited:

Keendriver

Hates all of you
I am taking it a lot more serious. But considering I'm starting at a base of 0, that probably, on it's own, doesn't mean much.

I honestly was blissfully unaware of how many people were killed annually by the flu. It was only in the last few years my gp was able to convince me to get a flu shot...."you may feel fine, but you could still infect someone else.......dumbass"
I'm paraphrasing.
I think.

When this all started I was basically "nimby", well, it's in my backyard and I'm rather alarmed to be honest. I find myself wiping everything down in the truck (slipseat) and practicing social distancing.
I mean more than I usually do.

Could be the biggest reason is I have a grand daughter now and I simply refuse to take any chances where she is concerned.

To paraphrase (wow, twice in one post) Mr. Bob Plant......"I'm singing all my songs to the girl who won my heart/she's only 2 years old and it's a real fine way to start".

Stay safe ****ers.......I can't hate ya iffin yer dead.

Well, not as much.

quillcom

it's mostly elderly people, but they are important people
Yep

Like my mom and pops.

That's who I'm concerned about. Both are very elderly with some other health issues.

But as for us, we have been empty nester for a few years now. Wife and I joke about who will catch this first and why.

But I do worry about this virus morphing which may already be happening which may explain the younger demographic now being affected.

Oh and those marathons your wife runs are gruesaic for lack of a better adjective.

That was on my bucket list years ago and I trained for it for about a year doing 10k's.

Those were fine but the half marathon sapped me. Finished it in about 2 hours.

Never again.

Last edited:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I was thinking the H1N1 was different than the swine flu. Nope
Same virus, two different names.

I've lost track of how many names the current pandemic has been given. And I'm only talking about the ones assigned to it by government officials.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Not likely Methuselah... unless you wanna be pushin' up daisies.
"what's his face" said we should be back and working in a few weeks, like Easter time...

i believe in him, i believe in God.....well, he ain't god, but he's our H.E.R.O.

to some................

Duck

Quack
Supporter
"what's his face" said we should be back and working in a few weeks, like Easter time...

i believe in him, i believe in God.....well, he ain't god, but he's our H.E.R.O.

to some................
He was just bullshitting the stupid day traders. The DOW made a huge gain immediately after he said that.

Day traders are not only stupid, they're skittish like a cat. Cut a loud fart and a cat jumps up and runs.

I don't normally approve of politicians spreading pure bullshit but in this case, if he can keep the stupid day traders from causing another great depression, it's called good leadership.

Humble pie

Being chased by the Cookie Monster
Supporter
I still think it’s over blown. The overreaction of the general public with the frantic hoarding is a bigger issue imo. Is it serious? Sure. Is it the end of the world? No.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I am a lot more concerned about this virus now than I was a few weeks ago.
I don't really want to be out there with these ****tards.
As soon as genocidal state governors like the one in Nevada stop trying to ban the use of those two malaria drugs I can't spell the names of, we're going to see a rapid change in the recovery rates and a sharp drop in the death rates.

When that happens, it might actually become possible for Trump to start overriding the state governors and opening the states back up for business.

It's still gonna be a while before they can open up New York City though. They're hit pretty hard.

Israel actually sent us millions of doses of that malaria drug. I find it unconscionable that the media is deliberately refusing to acknowledge that.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
As soon as genocidal state governors like the one in Nevada stop trying to ban the use of those two malaria drugs I can't spell the names of, we're going to see a rapid change in the recovery rates and a sharp drop in the death rates.
Thanks Dr @Duck - we appreciate your prognosis.

:thumbsup:

Mike

Staff member
I agree. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and if patients are willing to be the test cases for this, they need to be allowed immediately.

I think we need people to be patient. There are things we need that we are short on. That’s expected, because this hit us by surprise. Ramping things up takes a little time, but once this country starts moving forward with the manufacturing of the things we need, it will begin coming hard and fast. And soon after, as always, the rest of the nation will be begging us to go faster because they need help. And we will be there to help, as always, because that’s what we do.