truckerstrike08

Navigational Assistant
If everyone would read this:

Our Day In D.C.

April 29, 2008

on this link
The American Driver

it explains what took place in DC

Truckers and Citizens united did not cancel it they were put under hard stipulations and were basically forced not to do it:

NEW YORK CITY CANCELS DEMONSTRATION ON THE HEELS OF DC CONVOY

William Herr, Press Liaison: 717-802-0771, [email protected]
Mike Shaffner, theamericandriver.com:
Mark Kirsch, Organizer, Truckers and Citizens United
New York City Council

Mike (JB) Schaffner, of The American Driver, today announced that New York City has effectively cancelled the convoy in Manhattan scheduled for May 1, 2008.

Spokesman Mike (JB) Schaffner said he was disappointed. “We were set to perform a peaceful demonstration to point out the frustration that working class America is feeling,” he said. “First they approved us. Then they changed our permits for no more than 35 vehicles in the convoy. Now they’ve placed so many unreasonable conditions on the event that it makes it nearly impossible. We’re asking the government of the great state of New York to address this, and the reasons why our freedoms to speak and peacefully assemble are being crushed.”

Brian Osborne, owner of B L Osborne Transport, said, “they’ve effectively shut us down all together.”

Brian Osborne was a major force in the organization of the convoy. “They didn’t give us a reason, but we suspect that they fear fallout after the phenomenal turnout in DC on April 28th. I don’t think Bloomberg wants that much attention. They told us they would set up barricades and roadblocks to stop trucks from coming in.”

On April 28th Truckers and Citizens United, a grass-roots movement to protest the unnecessarily rising cost of fuel, organized a protest convoy past the Whitehouse and to RFK Stadium, where they staged a march on Washington. The group specifically asked congress to address 1) the removal of oil from the commodities markets, 2) bills before congress which address problems with fuel surcharges and greedy shipping brokers, and 3) to address needless additions to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, beyond congressional mandate.

Truckers and Citizens United and theamericandriver.com, in response to this action by New York City council, is now calling for the“North American Gone Fishin’ Shutdown” on May 5, 2008, an opportunity for citizens across the US and Canada to peacefully demonstrate their commitment to fighting high fuel prices and the economic ruin they are creating.

William Herr, a co-organizer for Truckers and Citizens United, said, “it’s a chance to get out of the house and spend some time with your family. Leave the car parked. Fish don’t like them anyway.

and thats all they have to do to stop these rallies. a loophole needs to be found to get around things like this from happening again.

and thats all they have to do to stop these rallies. a loophole needs to be found to get around things like this from happening again.
I know, I know, I know we all want to keep this as peaceful as possible, but as the old saying goes, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."

I think if we just got something together and screwed the system we would get our message out louder. Truck drivers in Italy and France just leave their trucks blocking the roads to cause as much disruption as possible or drive at an insanely slow pace in a convoy to tie up traffic. Many in the convoy on Monday wanted to do the same, but were told not to.

I understand and agree that we should be doing things the "right" way, but if they keep shutting us down they'll leave us no choice.

I know, I know, I know we all want to keep this as peaceful as possible, but as the old saying goes, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."

I think if we just got something together and screwed the system we would get our message out louder. Truck drivers in Italy and France just leave their trucks blocking the roads to cause as much disruption as possible or drive at an insanely slow pace in a convoy to tie up traffic. Many in the convoy on Monday wanted to do the same, but were told not to.

I understand and agree that we should be doing things the "right" way, but if they keep shutting us down they'll leave us no choice.

and i hope it doesn't come that. violence is not the answer. nobody can hear the cause if everybody goes and takes matters in there own hands and end up behind bars. there has to be a peaceful resolution to this.

No, no, no. I'm certainly not saying lets be violent because that's the last thing we need.

What I'm saying is, maybe trying to get permits for these convoys and rallies isn't going to work if they keep setting the bar too high for us to reach. If we just did it on our own (and stay peaceful) we might get more attention. If they keep shutting us down we're not going to get anywhere.

Look at Woodstock '69. 400,000 people got together, did it THEIR way, and stayed peaceful for three days. It's not impossible to do.

Update:
On the NYC Roll, The governemtn had canncelled it do to the Shooting the day Before.
Reverend Al Sharpton called for a day of Disobedience because of this, So thats why they yanked the permits, NYC was afraid of 100's of trucks rolling down Broadway all pissed off...

Cancelled the demonstration? That is pure BS!

These folks are doing everything can now to silence this thing.

No, no, no. I'm certainly not saying lets be violent because that's the last thing we need.

What I'm saying is, maybe trying to get permits for these convoys and rallies isn't going to work if they keep setting the bar too high for us to reach. If we just did it on our own (and stay peaceful) we might get more attention. If they keep shutting us down we're not going to get anywhere.

Look at Woodstock '69. 400,000 people got together, did it THEIR way, and stayed peaceful for three days. It's not impossible to do.

no it's not impossible to do. it just has to be done right. maybe if things were just done without advertising it out and about, then it would be possible to do. heck i don't know either. but it seems they are getting people to notice it and they don't want this kind of publicity during an election year. but with the good people here doing what they are doing and constantly pressuring a change in the way things are done now they can't ignore the problem forever. it's gonna take unity and everybody to agree on one thing and do it.

i can't remember woodstock. i was just a twinkle in mommas eyes, or is that a curse in her eyes. lol

Update:
On the NYC Roll, The governemtn had canncelled it do to the Shooting the day Before.
Reverend Al Sharpton called for a day of Disobedience because of this, So thats why they yanked the permits, NYC was afraid of 100's of trucks rolling down Broadway all pissed off...

al sharpton and jesse jackson never come around til it benefits themselves. and for some reason people follow these two. they both suck and bring nothing but hatred along with them. but that is a diferent story.

Ya Sharpton Probably knew what we were planning, and probably decided to use it to his advantage for Publicity...

Just thinking out loud, maybe loading up in the big rigs and going to a protest isn't the answer. Clearly, States now realize they can use this to shut down a protest attempt.

Maybe rent cars or vans, and show up on foot for a protest?

Again, just thinking out loud here.

Just thinking out loud, maybe loading up in the big rigs and going to a protest isn't the answer. Clearly, States now realize they can use this to shut down a protest attempt.

Maybe rent cars or vans, and show up on foot for a protest?

Again, just thinking out loud here.

just listening out loud. lol. that is definitly an option. but the cost here would be the question. something that is done needs to be done so that it doesn't look like oney is not an issue. if they see a bunch of rented vehicles then they will think since we have money to rent vehicles then ewe have money to drive and fuel the trucks. unless we can get some kind of donation here as say enterprise donates the use of vehicles to do this.

renting a van and dividing the costs from centralized meeting areas might be significantly cheaper than taking several rigs to a protest location.

that could possibly work. something to think about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread