Owner Operator Replacing the T660 with a new Cascadia

I'm still surprised that disc brakes only make the truck $1300 more, which tells me that we are a few short years away from drum brakes being completely obsolete (as they should be).
I can't understand why heavy trucks haven't had disc brakes as standard equipment at least as long as cars have had them in the front. My freakin' bare bones base model 1977 Ford pickup has disc brakes in the front fer fux sake.
You getting an in-cab 5th wheel release? I recommend it having had it at Pumpky. Maybe it's standard.
I second that.
In cab 5th wheel releases are for sissies.

I'll make an exception for someone with a bum shoulder but everyone else I'll call you a sissy.
:tease:
LOL.

for me, though, I will save the cost of your truck fairly quickly at the fuel pump by having it :)
Forget fuel savings. Think DPF cleanings/replacements. Idling is horrible for emissions systems.

I can't understand why heavy trucks haven't had disc brakes as standard equipment at least as long as cars have had them in the front. My freakin' bare bones base model 1977 Ford pickup has disc brakes in the front fer fux sake.

In cab 5th wheel releases are for sissies.

I'll make an exception for someone with a bum shoulder but everyone else I'll call you a sissy.
:tease:

Forget fuel savings. Think DPF cleanings/replacements. Idling is horrible for emissions systems.
Yep. My truck is 100% bad habits compliant.

Been driving a Cascadia DD15 loaner with a DT12 auto the last couple of weeks. Its OK. I don't like the economy mode coast, and low speed backing sucks.

Be happy to get my 10-speed back.

I remember in the 80s a few trucks had them, but they must have been pretty problematic then as they went away until recently.

Been driving a Cascadia DD15 loaner with a DT12 auto the last couple of weeks. Its OK. I don't like the economy mode coast, and low speed backing sucks.

Yeah.

Rolling resistance actually slows you down going downhill because of that coasting thing.

For what it’s worth, which ain’t much, I never had an issue with the DT12. Having a gentle foot and reminding yourself to be a smooth operator with the dang thing will go a long way in the name of fuel economy. I was hand calculating mid to upper 7s and even low 8s during the summer on a truck with no APU hauling an open deck at 80k. Never had issues in reverse, never had issues doing drop and hook.

Now I’m lucky to do 7 with my 13-speed DD15. Granted I also run 3-5mph faster.... it’s a condo and not a midroof.... but I’m also dragging a curtain side full time so....plus an APU.

@Mike does Freightliner offer any sort of cab insulation? Keep cold out and hot inside during the winter an vice versa during the summer? That’s one of my bigger complaints about this truck.... if they had an insulation package I’d spring for it as an owner operator. Within a minute of stopping the APU the temperature returns to outside temp. Infuriating. Especially at night.

Does it have that active powertrain management thing where it knows you're about to crest a hill and tries to coast the rest of the way UP?

I hate that shit.

Yes. It's about a $400 upgrade, and I got it.

You can feel the difference in the floor when you walk on it between standard and premium.

Does it have that active powertrain management thing where it knows you're about to crest a hill and tries to coast the rest of the way UP?

I hate that shit.
Nope, apparently not. Backing from a stop with pavement irregularities or much of a jackknife angle keeps that "creep mode" deal from starting the rig to move, especially when loaded. So, you have to goose the throttle to some extent to get the truck moving... which causes it to jerk into motion.

I understand this is nothing new with automated manuals, but its disconcerting when you're near another truck.

Nope, apparently not. Backing from a stop with pavement irregularities or much of a jackknife angle keeps that "creep mode" deal from starting the rig to move, especially when loaded. So, you have to goose the throttle to some extent to get the truck moving... which causes it to jerk into motion.

I understand this is nothing new with automated manuals, but its disconcerting when you're near another truck.
I bumped a concrete barrier and knocked the bumper off because of that jerk.

I had to sign a paper and do a silly road test but they didn't take my bonus.

Farm Bureau is concerned about loan rates spiking, so they did some sort of waiver thing and cut me a check on Friday to pay for the truck in order to lock in the interest rate. Handed that over to the dealer this morning, so the truck is now funded, just waiting for it to be built now.

Farm Bureau is concerned about loan rates spiking, so they did some sort of waiver thing and cut me a check on Friday to pay for the truck in order to lock in the interest rate. Handed that over to the dealer this morning, so the truck is now funded, just waiting for it to be built now.
Who's stuck paying the interest between now and then?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread